Favors

Paper, Nylon, or Silk Parasols

edited August 2014 in Favors
What is the difference between paper, nylon, and silk parasols?

I'm getting married on the beach, during the day. The parasols are a way to keep out of the sun and maybe rain. I'm letting my guest keep the parasol as a favor after the ceremony.   

Re: Paper, Nylon, or Silk Parasols

• No difference, no one wants any of them. Sorry to be harsh but what are people going to do with a parasol?

• I'm kind of laughing out loud of the thought of my H taking home a parasol. Can you explain how these are favors
  • Initially, my reaction is that only parasol favor that I'd want at a wedding would be the little paper umbrella in my cocktail.  But if you want to put some out for guests to use during an outdoor ceremony or cocktail hour for shade or whatever, or to use for fun in pictures or in a photobooth, I'd go with something mid-range in price but durable, so I guess whichever between nylon and silk better fit your budget.

As a takeaway favor for your guests, what about a parasol shaped and frosted cookie?
    Anniversary

• For a favor?  There is no difference between any of them because my reaction to receiving a parasol as a favor would be the same for all three fabrics and that reaction is "Huh?!??  WTH am I supposed to do with a parasol?"

If you're thinking people might want to use them during the ceremony if it's outdoors, then you should consider providing appropriate shaded areas for those who are so inclined just as part of being a good hostess, not give everyone a parasol as their favor.

Save the umbrellas for the drinks.

• I don't even like photos with parasols. Everyone is holding them differently, at different heights, kinda looks messy. Not my thing.
  • No difference, except maybe cost.  I wouldn't give these as favors though.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • This sounds like a super expensive favor. On top of that, I think 1) people won't take them, so you'll be left with a ton of useless umbrellas and 2) if they do take them, they'll throw them out when they get home. Not in a mean way, I just think it's a waste of your money.

We had an outdoor ceremony in July and provided bottled water and fans to our guests. It was cheaper, more practical and more useful all around than a parasol. Perhaps look into that. Here's a link to the fans. We googled 40% coupons on our phones to buy each box so it was pretty cheap:

*********************************************************************************

• What is the difference between paper, nylon, and silk parasols?

I'm getting married on the beach, during the day. The parasols are a way to keep out of the sun and maybe rain. I'm letting my guest keep the parasol as a favor after the ceremony.   
    I'm also in the just skip it category.  However, if you decide to go this way I don't see paper keeping out the rain.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nothing wrong with having them for the sun, but don't think of them as favors. That doesn't mean you need to go out and buy something else to have as favors in addition to these, though. Decide what your main reason for wanting them is. If it's for favors, skip them or choose something else. If it's for the sun, it's a nice gesture and I think they are all the same. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Cute idea, but I don't think it will be appreciated by your guests as much as it will cost you. But if you do opt for some, skip the paper as those won't hold off rain, and if it's windy, they would be more likely to rip. Silk is pretty, but again, not sure how good those would hold up in rain. Think of a silk blouse and what happens when you spill something on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards