April 2015 Weddings

registries?

When do you think you guys will register, or have you started already? Also, where do you think you will go to register?

My fiance is from a big city, my family however, lives in the middle of farm country where the nearest malls that you can find anything decent are 1-2 hours away. Heck, the nearest BBB are 1.5-2 hours away, same with Macy's. I know we will do Kohl's as that is where we shop frequently for kitchen goods; food network, kitchenaid, rachael ray, and so forth, but with my family not being online shoppers it is hard to find another place local to them without having to travel an arm and a leg distance. For my family, and friends that I know, that have used Walmart registries, they were a complete bust so I want to avoid that route.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: registries?

• We registered at BBB and Target.
  • I already registered and did one at Amazon and one at HoneyFund (yes I know there are mixed reviews about whether people think they are "tacky" but we already made our choice!). We have lived together for quite some time so we just put stuff that we would not likely buy ourselves. I also didn't want to go to stores and scan stuff so that is why both of ours are online. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We registered at BB&B and Crate & Barrel - my mom was on us to register early, so as long as we monitor them and make sure none of the stuff we registered for goes out of stock/season, we'll be fine. I've heard some mixed reviews about Kohls, just FYI (things like returning items was far more difficult than it needed to be, things like that). How does your family handle buying presents for the holidays if everything is so far away? I would think online shopping would be their friend.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pellegcm said:
    We registered at BB&B and Crate & Barrel - my mom was on us to register early, so as long as we monitor them and make sure none of the stuff we registered for goes out of stock/season, we'll be fine. I've heard some mixed reviews about Kohls, just FYI (things like returning items was far more difficult than it needed to be, things like that). How does your family handle buying presents for the holidays if everything is so far away? I would think online shopping would be their friend.
    My dad and step-mom have no problem shopping online. It's my step-moms family that has the generational gap, and my mom just does not trust online shopping, does not pay her bills online, and most of my mom side of the family still goes out to the store. Mind you, they have a mall nearby, but it has the basics, Jcpenney, an Elder-Beerman, and they used to have a sears but it closed, American Eagle, Buckle, Finish Line, Victoria Secrets, and a few other stores, but that is about it.

Also, we don't exchange Christmas gifts anymore either, I mean between my parents we do, but as a large family, aunts, uncles, cousins we don't, we stopped that ages ago, too big of a family.

I mean, my cousin, at her bridal shower, an aunt from my step moms side, gave her old-clearly used cookbooks. I mean really! I know people can be cheap, but go and get the Walmart salt and pepper shakers that I got her, or the $5-7 dollar item.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pellegcm said:
    We registered at BB&B and Crate & Barrel - my mom was on us to register early, so as long as we monitor them and make sure none of the stuff we registered for goes out of stock/season, we'll be fine. I've heard some mixed reviews about Kohls, just FYI (things like returning items was far more difficult than it needed to be, things like that). How does your family handle buying presents for the holidays if everything is so far away? I would think online shopping would be their friend.
    My dad and step-mom have no problem shopping online. It's my step-moms family that has the generational gap, and my mom just does not trust online shopping, does not pay her bills online, and most of my mom side of the family still goes out to the store. Mind you, they have a mall nearby, but it has the basics, Jcpenney, an Elder-Beerman, and they used to have a sears but it closed, American Eagle, Buckle, Finish Line, Victoria Secrets, and a few other stores, but that is about it.

Also, we don't exchange Christmas gifts anymore either, I mean between my parents we do, but as a large family, aunts, uncles, cousins we don't, we stopped that ages ago, too big of a family.

I mean, my cousin, at her bridal shower, an aunt from my step moms side, gave her old-clearly used cookbooks. I mean really! I know people can be cheap, but go and get the Walmart salt and pepper shakers that I got her, or the $5-7 dollar item.
    That feels really ungracious to me. What if it was all she could afford to give? What if these were the sources of family recipes she was passing on?
  • caitlinmcacaitlinmca member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014

Pellegcm said:

That feels really ungracious to me. What if it was all she could afford to give? What if these were the sources of family recipes she was passing on?
    Well knowing this aunt and uncle its not all they can afford, they had built a brand new house on quite a bit of land about 5-7 years prior, and when I was talking to my parents (dad and step-mom (step mom is related to this couple), about my hotel blocks, seeing who may or may not actually take advantage of them, my step mom said oh "so and so probably won't because they are too cheap" For my cousins wedding gift, she did receive a nice gift actually from them, but my cousin believes it is because their now daughter in law bought it and said it was the nice thing to do and gave it to them to give.

I guess, I'd rather from my view point, I'd rather have someone show up with nothing, and say sorry, I couldn't afford anything and at least be present and celebrate, than give used, dirty cookbooks that I would never use.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have people on our invite list that buy wedding gifts the day that they receive the STD's so we've already registered. We went to BBB, Crate and Barrel, and Sur la Table. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We registered at Macy's. We'll be sending out STD's within the next month or so, and I wanted to make sure we were registered when they went out so people who go on our website right after getting their STD will be able to see our registry.
  • We did Macy's and Amazon. I like have options for going in-store and then online shopping -- that way we have whatever people might be comfortable with. 
  • Amazon and Home Depot
  • We registered at Macys' and BBB. I also made one with Etsy.

• We registered at Macy's & Target! Pretty much all done!  
  • We did BBB, Target, and Belk. FI's family is over 4 hours away so I wanted to have options that are local to them as well as us, for the people who aren't online shoppers.

We went in-store to do ours and it was a lot of fun! I went back later online and added things because we couldn't do it all in one day. We aren't really done yet, and I guess we should probably get on that since the wedding is like 5 months away now!
    Anniversary

• My fiance and I live together already, so rather than register at a store we both agreed that we would "accept monetary donations for our adoption fund."

It's all about how you word things.  Instead of saying "cash only please" you can ask for "donations" for a honeymoon, a house, or whatever you guys have in mind.

Our other problems was some of these cash registry websites charge either us or the guests to donate.  I feel that is a bit much, so on our wedding website I told them they can donate ahead of time via PayPal (it's free) or bring something to the reception (we have a secure lockbox there).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards