Honeymoon Discussions

Kauai Honeymoon Tips

Hi!  We are going to Kauai for our honeymoon and I am interested in any tips or advice that anyone can give or share.  It will be mid-October and we will be there for about a week.  Is there anything we must see, or do?  Any restaurants we can't miss?  We are staying on the eastern side of the island.  Thanks, in advance!

Re: Kauai Honeymoon Tips

• Go to Brennecke's for happy hour. It's in Poipu, right next to the beach park. Mai tai's are GREAT there, as are Tai Chi's. Food is excellent too. Another great restaurant is Hukilau Lanai at the Kauai Coast Resort in Kapaa. Pretty upscale, but SO SO DELICIOUS. I recommend getting a Lava Flow from there after your meal. Also, Eggbert's at the Coconut Marketplace for breakfast once or twice. Two words: Macadamia pancakes. Or banana pancakes. With coconut syrup!!!

There are LOTS of art galleries all over the island. Seriously recommend that you check them out, because there is tons of amazing artwork to be seen.

Cheap lunch? The snack shack at Sueoka's store in Koloa. Great food on the cheap. I recommend getting a place with a kitchenette or a kitchen and making your own lunches and dinners a couple times as well, you'll save some money, and you can't beat local fish and produce (that you can score from the Farmer's Market in Kapaa. I think they do that on Sundays.

A really fun thing to do is to rent kayaks at the mouth of the Waimea river. You can paddle up the river to the fork (bear right at it), and then come ashore, walk the trail to the SUPER PRETTY (and super cold) waterfall, then walk back to your kayaks and paddle back down. It's an easy trip, and the scenery is gorgeous.

Have fun, hit happy hours everywhere, and take in the sights. Kauai is absolutely beautiful, you made a good choice!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I've been twice and always stay on the North side. We had an amazingly romantic dinner at Makena Terrace at the St. Regis. There was an amazing view from there and the food was great!

You can always do the usual Waimea Canyon visit though be aware if you get car sick!

We also did some hiking along the Na Pali Coast. The trail says it's moderate, but it was wet when we went and quite slippery. It has some great views, though.

• beethery said:
    Go to Brennecke's for happy hour. It's in Poipu, right next to the beach park. Mai tai's are GREAT there, as are Tai Chi's. Food is excellent too. Another great restaurant is Hukilau Lanai at the Kauai Coast Resort in Kapaa. Pretty upscale, but SO SO DELICIOUS. I recommend getting a Lava Flow from there after your meal. Also, Eggbert's at the Coconut Marketplace for breakfast once or twice. Two words: Macadamia pancakes. Or banana pancakes. With coconut syrup!!!

There are LOTS of art galleries all over the island. Seriously recommend that you check them out, because there is tons of amazing artwork to be seen.

Cheap lunch? The snack shack at Sueoka's store in Koloa. Great food on the cheap. I recommend getting a place with a kitchenette or a kitchen and making your own lunches and dinners a couple times as well, you'll save some money, and you can't beat local fish and produce (that you can score from the Farmer's Market in Kapaa. I think they do that on Sundays.

A really fun thing to do is to rent kayaks at the mouth of the Waimea river. You can paddle up the river to the fork (bear right at it), and then come ashore, walk the trail to the SUPER PRETTY (and super cold) waterfall, then walk back to your kayaks and paddle back down. It's an easy trip, and the scenery is gorgeous.

Have fun, hit happy hours everywhere, and take in the sights. Kauai is absolutely beautiful, you made a good choice!
    Thanks for the tips!!  We are thinking about doing the 5 hour package here:  http://kayakkauai.com/wailua-kayak-tours/  Any experience with that?

We are staying near the Coconut Marketplace, so those pancakes are on my list!!!  We won't have access to a kitchen/kitchenette, but we will probably get some breakfast items to keep in our room to save some $ where we can. 

I've been reading this chick's blog:  http://www.govisithawaii.com/kauai-vacation-guide/  for tips, as she seems to be a Hawaii expert.  She recommends the Safari Helicopter tours on Kauai -- any tips there?

Thanks again!! 

• I've been twice and always stay on the North side. We had an amazingly romantic dinner at Makena Terrace at the St. Regis. There was an amazing view from there and the food was great! You can always do the usual Waimea Canyon visit though be aware if you get car sick! We also did some hiking along the Na Pali Coast. The trail says it's moderate, but it was wet when we went and quite slippery. It has some great views, though.
    Yes, @jells2dot0 this is on our list for sure!  How car-sick are we talking??  I don't usually get car-sick (not too bad) but we will probably have dramamine & maybe some crackers or something just in case.  
  • WAILUA tours, goodness, that is the one! I got Wailua and Waimea mixed up!

If you're staying by the marketplace, definitely go to Hukilau and hit the marketplace for ice cream at Lappert's too. SO GOOD.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I've been twice and always stay on the North side. We had an amazingly romantic dinner at Makena Terrace at the St. Regis. There was an amazing view from there and the food was great!

You can always do the usual Waimea Canyon visit though be aware if you get car sick!

We also did some hiking along the Na Pali Coast. The trail says it's moderate, but it was wet when we went and quite slippery. It has some great views, though.

Yes, @jells2dot0 this is on our list for sure!  How car-sick are we talking??  I don't usually get car-sick (not too bad) but we will probably have dramamine & maybe some crackers or something just in case.  

It's not too bad. If you have some food you should be fine. It was my SD that got sick and she gets sick just on long drives around town. But, we stopped at a roadside stand and grabbed some candies and she was fine after that.

• Thanks @jells2dot0 & @beethery !  I want to make sure we don't miss any of the "you can't miss this" things!  If you think of any more tips, please feel free to share.  I am so excited! :)
  • I didn't think the drive up to Waimea Canyon was that bad (especially compared to the Road to Hana on Maui). But just be aware-it's the wettest spot on Earth. Literally. The day we drove up there it was crystal clear the first half of the drive, then all of a sudden-total rain and fog. When we got to the main lookout we couldn't see anything. We waited over an hour and it only got tiny glimpses. And we hiked around a bit but it was pretty slippery. 

We stayed on the west side so we took a catamaran tour out of Port Allen. The snorkeling spot they took us to was just OK, but we saw tons of spinner dolphins and of course the coast was amazing. 

On Friday nights in Hanapepe they have an open house night-all the art galleries and local businesses are open late, it's really nice to wander around and hang out with some of the locals. There are always people playing music, food, etc. 

We hiked the first two miles of the Napali coast-I didn't think it was difficult at all, but it was dry when we were there. Just be careful of the beach at the end-do not go near the water-the current is way to strong. 

Just a slight warning-we're from NYC and used to late hours, Kauai keeps very early hours. There were some nights that we couldn't find anything open at 8pm to get dinner on the west side. In Poipu. Lihue, and Kapaa it might not be too bad, but it was frustrating when you walk into a restaurant at 7pm and they are cleaning everything up! 
  • @daria24 thanks!!  And thanks for the restaurant tip - that would be terrible -- I guess everything is catered around sunset??
  • In addition, look into Captain Andy's Dinner Cruise of the Na'Pali coast.  So gorgeous!  H & I also enjoyed the Tubing Adventure from Kauai's Backcountry Adventures.  And if you are a chocoholic, like my H, then look into the Steelgrass Farms chocolate tour.  You will sample different produce they are growing before getting into the chocolate portion.  All 3 of those are on our list of things to repeat when we travel back to Kauai in January.

For dinner, we enjoyed Scotty's BBQ in Kapaa.  Guava BBQ sauce!  That's all I'm saying!

Also, go to the St. Regis in Princeville for sunset.  They do a whole little toast to the sunset every day.  I think the valet was free, we just bought some drinks.  We were there for about an hour and a half then left.

We rented snorkel equipment for the week from Snorkel Bob's in Kapaa (there are other locations too).  We left it in the car because most beaches you can just go snorkeling off of them.

• Ditto the St. Regis in Princeville for sunset! And yes, valet was free.

We did the Zipline Adventure Tour in Princeville and it was so awesome!  They have some different tours too. website is http://princevilleranch.com/

They have FREE Rum Tasting at the Koloa Rum Company (near Poipu) http://www.koloarum.com/
    We got to taste 4 different rums, and then mixed them into a mai tai and got to taste the rum cake.  Was a fun little break in our day. We love rum, so this was fun for us.

We found the best deals for most of our souveniers at ABC stores and Walmart.

We did the Luau at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu, which was nice too.  

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards