Favors

Is this favor worth the trouble -- would you want to get this?

classyduckclassyduck member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited July 2014 in Favors
One of the ways my fiance and I bonded was by cooking together. It was an important part of our courtship -- we still do it regularly and it is a creative exercise that we really look forward to sharing with our children someday.

SO. We have pioneered a bunch of really awesome recipes during our courtship,and thought of somehow turning these into wedding favors. We do (shamelessly!) post to facebook when we have a meal that's a great success, and he loves to brag (good-naturedly) to his coworkers about his culinary achievements. The point is everyone knows this is "a thing" with us, we love to cook.

So, If you were presented with "a buffet of 'courtship' recipe cards" from which you could choose ones that were interesting to you, or perhaps receive a little bundle of our favorite recipes at your place setting... what would your reaction be? Is this pathetic, endearing, or just meh?

We are also providing a candy bar, and giving away bottles of wine***, so this is really just a fluffy sentimental extra. But, ... designing and printing recipe cards takes time and money, both of which we are running short on (especially time, our jobs are killing us right now). But we like the idea of sharing our love of cooking, so if it would be appreciated, we're totally willing.

Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback!

***The wine is "free". It was made by my late father, who died less than a year ago. All his wine is quite good, and I think he liked to share it better than he liked to drink it. So, the substantial cellar he left behind was too much for mom to drink alone, and this is the perfect opportunity to share it with loved ones, just like he would have wanted to, and also include him in the wedding.

Re: Is this favor worth the trouble -- would you want to get this?

• I think it's cute, but in the end, it wouldn't ever make it to my kitchen.  By the time I throw it in a purse, it gets stuff piled on top of it, and I find it 4 months later during a purse clean out, it'll be dirty and bent.  If I take a clutch, when I get home, I toss it back in the drawer and don't see it again until the next special event where it matches my dress.  Besides, I file all my recipes online now.  If you have spare time and want to do it for you, go ahead, but don't bank on guests taking them.  Especially men.  If you'll be hurt that lots are leftover, skip.  The only way to get them out the door would be to tie them around the neck of the wine bottles.
  • As someone who's active in the kitchen herself, I love collecting good recipes. But that being said, I don't think that it's something that would make or break me enjoyment of the wedding. I certainly do think that they are nice and a sweet touch, but don't kill yourself over them.
  • I like PP's idea of tying them to the wine bottle. I also think only 1 recipe is needed. Maybe you two could share your favorite recipe and attach it to the wine so it looks like the favor is cohesive.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I would not do the buffet of recipes. Too complicated. If you do this, I would either:

1) pick a couple of your favorites and put them at each place setting.
    2) pick your favorite recipe that would pair well with the wine and attach it to the neck of the bottle. 

Honestly, if money is tight, I wouldn't do this at all. Do you have a wedding website? You could post a few recipes in your "about us" section for free.
    *********************************************************************************

• csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I would skip it, I just don't see the majority of people wanting to take this as a favor.

An alternate suggestion: We made menus and had one per place setting.  On the back of each we alternated 10 different local places and put some pictures and fun facts.  People had a good time reading them and some people collected the different versions from their table and took them home with them.  The printing was just done on both sides of regular copy paper.  You could do this with the recipes on the backs of the menus.
  • I like this idea personally. But if it is too much don't sweat it. I do like the idea of personal touches. I like the idea of picking a few that pair well with the wines
  • I would not do the buffet of recipes. Too complicated. If you do this, I would either:

1) pick a couple of your favorites and put them at each place setting.
    2) pick your favorite recipe that would pair well with the wine and attach it to the neck of the bottle. 

Honestly, if money is tight, I wouldn't do this at all. Do you have a wedding website? You could post a few recipes in your "about us" section for free.
    Love this idea.  Do this!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I agree with PPs to perhaps attach one to each bottle of wine, otherwise people may not take them. It's a cute idea.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's a cute idea. I like it, but I am cluttered, so I'd probably lose it.

Anniversary
  • I like the idea of attaching a recipe card to the wine bottle. I'd do this, or else skip it.
  • I myself love to cook too.. And I love recipes !!! We are in the south and I had thought of doing small bags of grits with a recipe for Shrimp and Grits attached to it. Not everybody loves to cook.. So, I changed my mind about that. I'm thinking of going with either pralines, or mini pecan pies..
  • I love the idea! Not sure about the buffet idea, but I'd love to find a few at my placesetting and would totally use them. (As long as they were fairly simple recipes.)
  • (You will never find a favor everyone will use. It's hopeless to try. So you might as well do something that reflects you. Even people that don't cook will appreciate the"you-ness" of it and it will make them smile.)
  • Honestly, it's not worth the trouble. As well meaning your intentions and sentiments are, nobody else will care for it as much as you. The recipe cards will likely make it into the trash whether attached to a wine bottle or stringed together. I ALWAYS think I'm going to keep my cute wedding favor forever and ever when I get it. I get caught up in the moment. Days and weeks later, it proves to just be useless. I already have my own things and don't need collection of wedding favors cluttering my drawers or shelves.
  • I also love the idea of attaching a recipe to a bottle of wine!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I am always a fan of receiving new recipes, so I would def enjoy this.
  • jenijoyk said:
    (You will never find a favor everyone will use. It's hopeless to try. So you might as well do something that reflects you. Even people that don't cook will appreciate the"you-ness" of it and it will make them smile.)
    Um, no, no they won't.

• Defintiely put the recipes over by the wine. They go well together. As a guest, I would rather pick up both favors in one places (especially since there is also the candy buffet) instead of feeling like I'm collecting things all over. 

But if money is tight, just put up a few recipes on the website. 

I'm thinking of giving one recipe + spices as we are also big cooks. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards