Wedding Woes
Options

Should I out my 'anonymous' online tormentor?

Dear Prudence,
Two months ago, after posting a picture to my Facebook in which I said I “felt beautiful,” I started getting email messages from someone I didn’t know that were vicious and cruel. I am chubby, and my harasser wanted to tell me, as nastily as possible, that I was deluding myself for thinking I could be beautiful. Not knowing who was writing to me, I made my Facebook profile more private. But recently a friend suggested that I compare the IP addresses of my harasser to the IP addresses of emails from people I know. To my shock, I discovered my harasser has the same IP address as my best friend’s boyfriend, Adam. Adam lives alone, and based on the times the messages were sent I do not believe another person sent those messages from his computer. Adam has always been kind to me, and until my discovery I thought he was my friend. His behavior makes no sense, and I don’t know what to say to him or to my best friend. What should I do?

—Confused and Hurt

Re: Should I out my 'anonymous' online tormentor?

• Options
    Wowwww!  That's awful.  People's asshattery knows no bounds.
  • Options
    I'd out him. So fast it would make his head spin. And then I'd walk off wearing sun glasses playing the CSI themesong because I'd cracked the case like a pro.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • Options
    Woah woah woah.  sometimes people can have the same IP addreses as others - hence how (if I understand correctly) good knotties were getting blocked because they shared the same IP address as some not good knotties.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'd think IP addresses isn't quite enough proof because of sharing...but I would probably be working damn hard to get proof. Hell, sneak a keyloggr onto his computer.
  • Options
    That's awful I'm sorry this happened to you...but I agree with some of the other comments that people can have the same IP address as others so please do not jump to conclusions that it is your friend's bf who has always been nice to you.
  • Options
    That's awful I'm sorry this happened to you...but I agree with some of the other comments that people can have the same IP address as others so please do not jump to conclusions that it is your friend's bf who has always been nice to you.
    Now my Friday is complete.  ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards