September 2015 Weddings

September 2015 Brides...what's your story?

I thought it would be nice for us to get to know each other a little bit since we have a long road of planning before the big day.

So...what's your story?

I'm Shannon.  I'm a 34 year old divorced mom to 2 sons (Ethan is 7 and Cullen is 4).  I teach Middle/High School Autism support in a private school for kids with severe behavioral needs.  

My fiance is Adam.  He's a 34 year old divorced dad to 1 son (Alex will be 11 next month).  He is a complete animal lover (and I adore that about him).  

Our story goes way back.  Adam and I dated when we were 14, 15, 16...I actually broke up with him for one of his good friends.  We lost touch for a long time.  Life happened and we both got married and had children.  Neither of our marriages worked out.  Last summer, we started talking to each other on Facebook.  In October, I flew from Pennsylvania to Colorado to see him for the first time in 17 years.  He picked me up at the airport, kissed me and it was all over from there.  On that trip, he gave me a gorgeous heart necklace with blue and white diamonds and I haven't taken it off since.  We flew back and forth over 1700 miles every few weeks for months.  In December, right before Christmas, Adam and his son drove 29 hours and moved in with my boys and me.  Adam proposed on the July 18 and here we are.  

We're planning an outdoor wedding with some Pagan/Celtic elements.  No attendants other than our sons...a bonfire reception...nothing super traditional...just very much us.

I'd love to hear about you ladies.

Re: September 2015 Brides...what's your story?

• What a sweet story! Very romantic :) Love the outdoor wedding/bonfire reception combo, sounds very intimate and fun!
  • Thanks.  It's completely us.  Here we are at a bonfire the first weekend we saw each other since we were kids.  

• Here's my story:

I'm Kendra, I'm 31 and single mom to Noah who will be 8 in December. I work as a commercial loan officer and I'm in school finishing my accounting degree.

My fiancé is Jon, he's 34, no kids but already an awesome father figure to my son (whose dad is still involved in his life as well).

I love telling our story because I think it's funny and cute!

We first met at a Halloween party with mutual friends. I thought he was loud, obnoxious, and kind of a "bro". I also thought that he was quite possibly a little bit dumb. Not my type at all. We barely said two words to each other that night, aside from "hi, nice to meet you"

The second time we crossed paths was at my best friend's wedding two months later. I was the MOH and had brought a date. I'd been seeing my date for about six weeks and we had been having a disagreement about "defining" our relationship for a week or two prior to the wedding. At dinner, all of us were a little tipsy already, and another guest asked me (in front of my date and Jon) if I was single at the moment, because he wanted to set me up with Jon. I very pointedly looked at my date and said "I don't know ... am I single?" He said "You're free to do whatever you want!" I said "Well I guess I am single, I'd love to go!" Our mutual friend gave me his phone number and told me to call the next day and we'd set it up.

The next morning I woke up feeling guilty and realized that going out with Jon just to make my un-boyfriend jealous was a pretty lame move, so I never called our friend to set up the date.

Several months later, a friend invited me to go to the beach with a group of people for a softball tournament. I got there a day later than everyone else and all the rooms were taken. Jon volunteered his room and said he would sleep on an air mattress on the floor. We ended up staying up all night talking, and I learned that he is really very smart and eloquent, not dumb and bro-ish like I previously thought. We've been together ever since! I told my best friend the next morning that I knew I'd met the one. Apparently the third time was the charm for us!

We met at the beach, our first official date was a day trip to the beach, and he proposed on March 22, 2014 at the beach. The beach is definitely our happy place!

We are planning an outdoor wedding and reception all at the same location. It will be rustic and low-key; our menu is BBQ and my decorations are mason jars and twine-wrapped wine bottles.

2015 will be a big year for us; we're having a house built and will be moving into our dream home in March, I graduate in May, and our wedding is in September. We are very excited and could not be happier! I had to kiss a lot of frogs to find my Prince Charming but he was very much worth the wait :-)

Looking forward to hearing all of your stories! Share away!

• Hi Kendra!  Yay!  Another outside bride!  Adam and I are going to check out a venue on Friday.  It's small and that's what we want.
  • I had 10 venues on my list to look at - I fell in love with the first one we visited and booked it on the spot, never even visited the other 9!

It's a beautifully landscaped garden, the ceremony will take place in the gazebo, food served in tents on the lawn, and dancing/drinks in the "party barn" which is exactly what it sounds like - a big red barn!

My venue was definitely the biggest splurge in the budget. We're going very low key everywhere else, but I just loved the location so much I couldn't imagine NOT getting married there.

Are you planning to have your reception at the same location as your ceremony?

• Yes. It's very plain..but very much what we want. We haven't seen it in person at all yet.

Here is what I like most...because it is completely outside.  Adam is Pagan and I am Agnostic, so the cross would be covered with a Celtic tapestry.  

Here is another part of the same place.  The plus side of this one is that we wouldn't have to worry about rain.  

And here is the Pavilion where we can have a bonfire.  

• That looks like a really cool place! I love Celtic designs, the tapestry over the cross is a great idea. What are you thinking for décor? Keeping it minimal?
  • VERY minimal.  I'm not sure what we'll do.  We need to go and get a feel for the place.  
  • I am having an awful time figuring out what I want to wear and Adam and the boys can't really decide what they are wearing until I do.  

I am actually looking at bridesmaids dresses right now as my dress.

I want something non-white, but neutral.  I like sweetheart necklines, long, chiffon and with a lace up back.  The issue is...even when I find something, I can't buy it yet because I am trying to lose some weight.
  • That's why I haven't looked yet ... I want to lose 15 pounds before the wedding. I have a dress shopping appointment scheduled for December 13 to give myself a little more time! I have heard that with wedding dresses, depending on the dress you can sometimes lose up to 20 pounds without significantly altering the fit of the dress, but I'm not sure if bridesmaid dresses are the same. A lace up back should give you some wiggle room for weight changes in either direction though!
  • Men.  I just showed Adam off white, cream, ivory and champagne and he doesn't like any of them.  I told him I am not opposed to color.  My ring and the necklace I wear all the time have blue and white diamonds.  I REALLY like a light purple dress, but I wonder if I can make it look right with the blue diamonds in my jewelry.

This color, not neccisarily this dress, but the dress is pretty too.
  • That's gorgeous! Dress and color!
  • Hi ladies, This is a great topic!

I'm Jen, I'm 25 and I work for my city in a mostly janitorial position while going to school for HR. 
    My FI is Dana, he's 40 and works in the same department but a few levels up. 

We met at work when I was 19. I actually pursued him and I think I asked him out about 4 times before he clued in that I was asking him out! He was completely oblivious. I knew on our third date that I was going to marry him when we took me to this beautiful stone pavilion in a park overlooking the water. It took him a few more years to figure it out but he finally proposed in November. 

We've set our date for Sept 19, 2015, and we're holding our ceremony in that same stone pavilion. :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Haha...we're full out outside brides, aren't we?  

• Congrats Jen! Love the story! And yay for another outside bride :-)
  • I love reading everyone's stories!! So sweet :)

I'm lauren, 25, and a stay at home mom to an awesome 5 year old girl, and my fiancé (her father) is Drew, 33. He's a store manager for CVS.
    We've been together 7 years, and met when we were both working for Blockbuster (back when those places actually existed lol!).

Our first priority was saving for a house, which we bought 2 years ago. Then we slowly started putting money away for a wedding. His mother decided she'd waited long enough however, and offered to pay for the entire thing if we'd get on with it, so obviously there was no argument from us! ;)

Our wedding is going to be September 5th, a rustic chic theme, and the venue is a gorgeous barn. The ceremony is held under a pretty arch we are going to decorate, and then the reception is going to be held inside the barn with twinkle lights everywhere! I'm so excited!
  • Congratulations, Lauren.  So...so far we have 3 outside brides and a barn bride.  I love you non-traditional girls!
  • Lauren our reception is in a barn too! Ceremony is outside the barn in a gorgeous garden under a gazebo.

Love your story, so sweet! And how cute that his mom wanted you to speed it up. My fiance's mom was sooo disappointed after we got engaged that we were waiting until 2015. She wanted us to do it this September!!! His sister is getting married next weekend so I told her one family wedding per season is enough!

Congrats on your engagement!

• Hi all.  My FH and I met thru a coworker of mine many years ago.  We've had a long twisting road to get to where we are today.  It's not always been easy but we endured and we are stronger than ever now. We love each other to pieces.  Our wedding was to have taken place last year but was postponed as my FH battled cancer.  This May he was declared to be in remission.  Thank God! We pray the nasty "C" never returns. 

Our wedding is taking place at a historic mansion on the water.  The ceremony will be outside in the garden and the reception will be held in a tent on the patio overlooking the water.  If it should rain, we have the tent but we can also use the mansion itself.  Having so many options is one of the reasons I love this venue.  We are planning a fun fab affair.  This will be my first (and only) marriage and his second (and last).   While the planning can be tedious and stressful I love it.  I am excited about the next 13 months and can't wait for my big day.

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Hi all.  My FH and I met thru a coworker of mine many years ago.  We've had a long twisting road to get to where we are today.  It's not always been easy but we endured and we are stronger than ever now. We love each other to pieces.  Our wedding was to have taken place last year but was postponed as my FH battled cancer.  This May he was declared to be in remission.  Thank God! We pray the nasty "C" never returns. 

Our wedding is taking place at a historic mansion on the water.  The ceremony will be outside in the garden and the reception will be held in a tent on the patio overlooking the water.  If it should rain, we have the tent but we can also use the mansion itself.  Having so many options is one of the reasons I love this venue.  We are planning a fun fab affair.  This will be my first (and only) marriage and his second (and last).   While the planning can be tedious and stressful I love it.  I am excited about the next 13 months and can't wait for my big day.
    Congratulations!  Your venue sounds great!  Welcome!

Great story!!! So glad to hear he's in remission, what a scary experience! Your venue sounds lovely, I love places with lots of options!
  • Cute stories ladies! :)

I'm Kim, I'm 27 and my fiance is Craig. My friend (who is going to be my bridesmaid) called me one night and we decided to have a spur-of-the-moment night out. That was where Craig (eventually) spoke to me and took my number. I was kind of starting to date somebody else at the time and I cancelled our first date. I liked him but I didn't really want anything serious at the time. But I decided I would give it a go when he wouldn't stop asking for dates and it was full steam ahead from there! We were engaged after about 6 months, moved in after 11 months, pregnant after a year together.. and now our baby's a year old we've decided to start planning the wedding!! It's been a total whirlwind 3 years and I'm so excited to marry him!
  • Hi Ladies! Canadian September 2015 bride here!

I'm Andrea. I'm 28 and I work in administration/accounting. My Fiance is Cody, 30, who is a Captain with an Airline.

We met through a mutual friend after Cody saw me comment on something on FB and stalked my pictures for a bit before getting up the courage to ask the friend to set us up. Our first meeting wasn't all that memorable. A group outing with this nice cute single guy. He didn't even ask me for my phone number at the end of the night! (He said he didn't want to seem to forward). Eventually numbers were exchanged and we went on a one on one date. By our second date we both knew this was something special.

Unfortunately about 2 months into dating he got transferred to a remote northern location in another province (about at 7 hour drive) flying for some oil companies. The fact that not once did it cross my mind that we wouldnt figure out how to 'make it work' made me realize that i was head over heels for him.

1.5 years of dating long distance and seeing each other for 6 days each month, a lot of miles were put on our cars! Finally a job opportunity came up in a completely different province, but at least one where I could live and work comfortably. So i sold my house, quit my job and we moved together to the new province. Several months later we were engaged and now planning a wedding for September 12, 2015. We're also aiming to get another transfer in around that time in order for us to end up back in our home towns to settle down for good.
  • Hi Ladies!

My name is Katie and I am 28. I have a degree in architecture and work with auto cad now. My FI's name is Joe and he is 27. He owns his own video production company. We met at his band practice when we were 16. He joined the band my then boyfriend was in. Well needless to say, that relationship didnt work out. Joe joined the Army after college and while he was home on leave from Iraq in 2006 we went out and have been together since. We moved in together in 2010 after he got out of the Army. We bought a house in 2012 and got a dog in 2013.

We went on vacation to Key West on July 16 this year and he proposed on the pier at sunset and being the film buff he is, he has it all on camera.

We are having our wedding on 9/12/15 at a garden and the reception will be under a tent at the same venue. I am going dress shopping on 9/12 of this year :) Once I have the dress we are going to finalize the theme and decor.
  • All very cute stories ladies! :)

Hi! I'm Leigh, 31 and my FI is Mike 35. I currently work for a bank and am going to school for HR management and Mike works as a materials manager at a chemical company. We were both born and raised in Chicago and started dating over 7 years ago. Mike was actually engaged before to his high school sweetheart but it turns out she wasn't that much of a sweetheart! After 10 years together he discovered she was cheating on him with someone almost 15 years older than her. Anyways...I had always had a crush on him (he was the friend of my best friends older brother) so when I found out his engagement was off I went on the hunt ;)

We started dating right away but because he was going through so much with the break up he was a little hesitant to get right back into another relationship. After a while he realized he could trust again and I was not going to break his heart as she did. We moved in together 4 years ago, were engaged last July and just bought our first home 3 weeks ago!

We are getting married in Mexico because it is one of our favorite places and we love the Mexican culture. Our date is September 4th and we are very excited to have a week long vacation with our friends and family :)

• britneydelbritneydel member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014
    *waves*

I'm Britney, 22, and currently work retail. Just finished school in June for my HCA certificate and am hoping to get a job with that soon.
    My FI is Mark, 24, who currently works in sales at an electrical distribution company.

We met through friends in HS and have been together for coming up 7 years. Engaged for coming up 1 year. :)
    We will be getting married September 26th, 2015. Our ceremony and reception will both be held at the same location,- ceremony outside, and reception inside of their "auditorium".

• Welcome to the group!
  • Awwww everyone has cute cute stories! My name is Amanda, i just turned 25. My fiancé Matt is 26. We started dating the summer between my sophomore and junior year of high school...so we're been together for 9 years. He's a year older than me, so he went to college first. So we did a year of long distance. Then we both went to college together for a few wonderful years. He got accepted to grad school at the same university, so we got to spend that year together too. My program (audiology) isn't taught at the graduate level at our university, so I had to apply to out of state schools and got accepted to a program in PA (500 miles away). Matt was so supportive and encouraged me through the whole process. He has always said, "what's a few years compared to a lifetime of happiness". So, I found out I was accepted in September of my senior year, and Matt proposed a few months later in November. We spent a few very happy months together engaged before I had to move away from everything I knew and loved. We knew we would have to have a long engagement, but we've been together so long we figured what's the rush.... I'm now in my 3rd and final year of on campus education. Next year I can finally move back home and finish up my last year (which is called my extern ship) and marry my best friend! So... That's the watered down version.. Everyone always asks me how we do long distance, and I honestly don't know. It's hard. But I love Matt so much, I know that we started dating very young and that I've never really seen what else is out there, but I just have no desire to. I'm just so happy. Plus I think when you find someone who will let you and encourage you to pursue your dream, even if that means putting life on hold, you just don't give that up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sweet story, Amanda!  Way to go on the long distance thing.  We did that for a while and it is tough.  I am glad you are sticking with what you think is right and not looking around just because you two started early.  I did that exact thing and ended up with someone conservative and safe.  It wasn't at all what I need.  I got two gorgeous sons out of the deal, but I wasn't happy.  We were together 15 years, married 11.  Now, I took a risk and our relationship hasn't been easy, but it is what we want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards