Budget Weddings Forum

Flower girl basket and ring bearer pillow options

edited August 2014 in Budget Weddings Forum
Have any of you found cheaper flower girl baskets and ring bearer pillows that aren't just the satin, fancy type? Those aren't my style AT ALL, ugh. But, I can't seem to find anything else that won't be $40+.

Or have any of you used alternatives to the regular baskets and pillows? I was trying to think of something they could both carry and then keep in the end (no, not at their gift, but at least it could serve a dual purpose and not be thrown away in the end like the pillow and basket).

ETA: no burlap and lace ones either. I know those are usually cheaper but they are the opposite of the look I'm going for. Man...I'm sounding super picky. Haha

Re: Flower girl basket and ring bearer pillow options

• I just got a small, plain brown wicker basket at Michael's for like 5 bucks for the FG. I'll put some ribbon or something on it to doll it up a bit. I SUPERHATE the froufrou satin baskets. So dumb.

I'm going to make the RB pillow, likely something like this. I like the traditional pillow because I want to keep it and put it on a nursery rocker when that time comes. I've seen people use a teddy bear for the RB to keep though, and that was super cute.

• @lolo883 That's a good idea for putting it on a nursery rocker chair someday! Last night I was talking to FI about this and he teased me saying he thought he still had the pillow that he carried when he was a RB as a child. I immediately said, "FIND IT, CALL YOUR MOM! IT'S SENTIMENTAL, WE'LL USE IT"...I think my reaction made him regret saying that if he wasn't actually sure that they still had it lol. I think I may try to find some teddy bear to have the RB carry. But then I am still kind of at a loss for the FG. I'll see what I can come up with..

• I had paragraphs...

• Please don't hate me TK regulars, but we had a sign instead of a ring bearer pillow. I know they aren't super popular here, but he carried a sign that said "Here comes the bride". I wasn't going to give a 5 year old my ring anyways so he would have just been carrying fake rings on a pillow. I figured if he was carrying something useless then it might as well be a cute photo op (he decided to walk down the aisle with his tongue sticking in his cheek so it's debatable about how cute the photos were lol). 
  • edited August 2014
    @tammym1001 I don't hate the idea of a sign for the two of them. I agree, if they are carrying fake rings anyways why not carry something cuter. I would be completely fine with them not carrying anything at all...and just looking cute walking down and give FI a high five at the end but I think FMIL would flip. **seriously TK, i would like paragraphs.

•  We found super cheap RB pillows. I'm talking $2. (We didn't have a flower girl, but I believe the baskets were the same price). They were the classic satin, and were good enough, as I really could have cared less about the pillow. For $2 though, I could have easily removed the ribbon, or gone the DIY route, over it, and still came out spending very little. The flower girl basket, I could have torn everything off of, and started over. So maybe look at super cheap satin options, and keep an open mind on what you could potentially do to them! :)

*J
  • Baskets can be baskets. And should be, because paying 27 or so dollars for a satin basket  is silly. A 1-2 quart willow or woven basket runs about 2 dollars. If you want it more gussied up, paint it white, or whatever.

imageimage
  • You know, I really hate those cheesy little satin pillows. Why not just by a small decorative throw pillow and tie a wide ribbon around it?  I always see little decorative throw pillows in the bedding departments. Things like this:image
  • @ohannabelle you're right, the basket does not need to be cute...at all. No one will even notice it (also, because I picked the cutest FG dress in the world). I can get lame-o baskets and pillows for cheap or make a banner similar to the one below for cheap.

No one will care lol.

I'm so happy other people hate those darn satin pillows! Seriously, they don't look good at all to me!

• I hate those satin pillows! Ugh. We don't currently have plans to have a flower girl or a ring bearer... I think a sign is cute. I also think that those "flower balls" .. sorry I don't know the technical name look cute for little girls. I'll post a picture below. If you did it with some realistic fake flowers it might look nice and be able to be used for decoration in the girl's room after the wedding..

imageimage

• @emster86 we didn't want to have a RB or FG (multiple reasons so I wont go into it) but FMIL couldn't imagine a wedding without them (or ushers..ugh lol) The balls (hehe) do look nice. I'm also making my own bouquets, I was thinking maybe she could just have a miniature bouquet to carry?

• I'm loving all of these ideas, thanks guys!

• emster86 said:
    I hate those satin pillows! Ugh. We don't currently have plans to have a flower girl or a ring bearer... I think a sign is cute. I also think that those "flower balls" .. sorry I don't know the technical name look cute for little girls. I'll post a picture below. If you did it with some realistic fake flowers it might look nice and be able to be used for decoration in the girl's room after the wedding..

imageimage
    They can be called a kissing ball or a pomander ball. That is what I am having my flower girl carry instead of a flower basket.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our ringbearer carried a hollow book because H has (several) English degrees, I have a theatre degree, and we both love to read/write. So I bought a nice looking journal at B&N and used a big scrapbook holepunch on the pages, then glued them together so there was a nice hollow. The journal had a ribbon bookmark that we tied the rings to inside.

The flowergirl carried a cheap basket my mom bought and wound ribbon around the handle.
  • Oh, I love the book idea.   My engagement ring was hidden in a Harry Potter book, so I think that woud work out really well for the rings.  
    Our ringbearer carried a hollow book because H has (several) English degrees, I have a theatre degree, and we both love to read/write. So I bought a nice looking journal at B&N and used a big scrapbook holepunch on the pages, then glued them together so there was a nice hollow. The journal had a ribbon bookmark that we tied the rings to inside.

The flowergirl carried a cheap basket my mom bought and wound ribbon around the handle.

• My wedding is love bird themed. I bought 3 $5 nests at Michaels and some Spanish moss to put in them. The RB will carry the "rings" in his nest. I am going to use ribbon to make handles on the other 2 nests and the FGs will actually toss white feathers while walking down the aisle instead of flower petals.
  • I did the pillows for the ring bearers.. I made them from one of the chair sashes.  Super inexpensive and well, one of the boys knows that ring bearers carry pillows.. LOL.  He's got special needs and this is what he wanted so I wanted him to get what he expected.

For the girls, they are carrying boquets.  I also gave them the choice of baskets or balls or boquets and they wanted boquets so I made them.  They are a little different from the bridesmaids so they "scale" better with them.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our RB is going to be carrying the rings in a small wooden box. It's just much more our style.

For the FGs, I was originally going to make them kusudama flower balls to carry. The problem is that our FGs are tiny and the balls seemed too hefty. We're now just giving them mini bouquets to carry.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our RB will carry a presentation box of some sort, probably wooden or leather, with a foam insert (covered with cloth) to secure the rings. If he's mature enough by then, I'd LOVE to have him carry the rings in his tux pocket and produce them on cue. He has no problem hamming it up for the camera so he might like having an actual role like that. PLUS, his dad will be walking me down the aisle, meaning he could immediately take on the task of keeping his eyes on the RB and the rings. :-) In that case, of course, he'd be more like a junior groomsman.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ew - I hate the satin-y baskets/pillows too!

I got our flower girl baskets at Goodwill - I think they were $1 each. None were the right color but a can of spray paint is taking care of that quickly.

My aunt gave us the pillow my cousin used in her wedding, but we have 3 little guys (6 kids total in the WP) so I think each will be in charge of carrying something. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards