Chit Chat

Do you ever think something is douchey and then fall in love with it?

NO I'm not talking about fiance/ significant others hahaha

We had my thread going about what we wear outside of work and what to wear walking around a city for the day. And I was saying I can never wear sundresses because I always wear sneakers, and my feet can't handle walking hours in flops or flats. So anyways, I went on a search yesterday for some type of practical shoe that I could walk in all day but still look semi decent with a dress. I walked right past the Sperry boat shoes because I always thought they were for pretentious yuppy/ hipsters (no offense anyone). FI picked them up and was like "these are really cute, try these!" And I laughed and said they were stupid....but when I put my foot inside- OMG- heaven. So I bought them in white and I love them LOL.

You guys must have something you've done that with?

Re: Do you ever think something is douchey and then fall in love with it?

• I tend to do that music. FI and I will declare that we hate some artist, but then they will slowly start to grow on us.

We both used to HATE Jason Adlean (he always came of as...kind of a dick to me...idk lol) and when he came out with that song Springsteen...omg we thought it was horrible...but then it slowly started growing on us and now we both painfully admit that we actually really like Jason Adlean lol

• Leggings. I hated that they were worn as pants when that rend started. Then one day I bought a pair because OMG they were comfy. I still only wear them with oversized shirts and sweaters but man do I love them. 

• Hm.... when skinny jeans first became a thing I thought they were ridiculous, but now I live in them. Since it's all about balance (right?) I like the fact that I can wear loose-fitting shirts with skinny jeans.  When I was in college it was all about the boot cut, so my shirts were significantly smaller.  Plus, my skinny jeans look great with flats, and I can only wear heels with boot cut jeans, so my feet are happier too :)

I'm usually late to the party on any trend. I thought smart phones were totally excessive, back in the day.... Statement necklaces, cocktail rings... 

• My iPhone lol. I was all anti iphones, and touchscreens in general. I totally loved my blackberry, and BBM, loved the keypad, and swore that I would never turn to the darkside and get an iPhone like everyone else did. 

Well, somehow I ended up getting the iphone 5 the day it came out and have been in love with it ever since. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    Hm.... when skinny jeans first became a thing I thought they were ridiculous, but now I live in them. Since it's all about balance (right?) I like the fact that I can wear loose-fitting shirts with skinny jeans.  When I was in college it was all about the boot cut, so my shirts were significantly smaller.  Plus, my skinny jeans look great with flats, and I can only wear heels with boot cut jeans, so my feet are happier too :)

I'm usually late to the party on any trend. I thought smart phones were totally excessive, back in the day.... Statement necklaces, cocktail rings... 

Same! HATED skinny jeans... and now they are literally all I wear and in multiple colors. We are in casual wear for the summer at work, so with a pair of wedges and a cute top I have a million outfits to make! I like that you can wear them with heals and flats and if they are a tad short they look fine and if they are a tad long you can cuff them! My heart will break when they are not in style.....

ETF - Spelling

Anniversary
  • I use to think the idea of wearing tights, leggings, ect with a dress/skirt was really weird. I thought well whats the point of wearing them (dresses/skirts) if you didn't want to show off your legs. But then my thighs started touching and rubbing together. I finally broke down and bought some because I hated having sore thighs. I've been in love ever since ha. Still can't get behind wearing them with shorts though..
  • Skinny jeans and leggings.
  • Ugg boots. I swore when I was in college, and surrounded by hoards of girls wearing Uggs, that I would never own a pair. Now - I want them in ALL the colors. FI got me my first pair our first Christmas together and I don't think I took them off for the first week I owned them.

Also - jeggings. Thought the name was stupid and the idea was stupid. Put them on at American Eagle - heaven. I won't buy anything else. I can wear them with flats, Chucks, my riding boots, heels. Everything works with them. 

• Enormous sunglasses. I always thought they were really silly-looking. And then I got a pair, because it was the only kind that would fit over my glasses while I'm driving. And now I love them, and have several pairs, and I will never go back.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Haha all of the above! And scarves, back in the day. Now I live in them.

• Skinny jeans, wearing heels with skinny jeans, aviators, some music.

• Same here! I fought against skinny jeans and smart phones forever. I just got each of those about one year ago and I'm never looking back!

• Agree with the Uggs!  I haven't really worn mine in a couple years though.

I guess Crocs too, although I still realize they are hideous, they are so comfy!

I wish I could wear sperry's but my feet are too wide (hence, the Uggs and Crocs!)

I did want to mention to you that a good pair of Chaco sandals, properly broken in, are great to walk around in!  I wear the hipthong almost every day.image

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I tend to do that music. FI and I will declare that we hate some artist, but then they will slowly start to grow on us.

We both used to HATE Jason Adlean (he always came of as...kind of a dick to me...idk lol) and when he came out with that song Springsteen...omg we thought it was horrible...but then it slowly started growing on us and now we both painfully admit that we actually really like Jason Adlean lol
    birdybride2014  I don't mean to be a douche but that song was by Eric Church.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yup, Uggs too. Although I never really wear them in public anymore. But honestly, they were really good for camping this weekend when it was cold at night. 
  • Can I just be "that person" and say I hate the use of the word douchey in general? It's just slang that associates women's genitals with dirtiness and negativity and I can't be a fan of that. /steps off high horse.

I initially hated leggings until I started wearing them to barre class and realized how comfy they are. Unless I'm literally en route to the gym I still will only wear them with a long top, but I love them now. Oh and high-top sneakers. Thought they were a terrible trend, but now I'm convinced they are super flattering to my calves when worn with slouchy capris. What else... Lady Gaga. I hated "Just Dance" when it came out and now I LOVE her.

I still hate Uggs. Oh well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

I thought Springsteen was by Eric Church?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I do this all the time. I'm not a trend setter. I don't care to waste my money on fads and clothes that won't be in style in six months. My wardrobe consists mainly of staples from places like The Limited. But at least once a year I find myself saying, "Ugh, I hate X fad. It is so ugly. No way in hell am I ever wearing that!" Then three months later, I can't get enough of it. This happened to me with skinny jeans, the boho skirts that were in about a decade ago, the flowey tops that were all the rage about two years back, and so on and so forth. But mark my word, I will NEVER wear high waisted ANYTHING with a barely there, flowly midriff exposing shirt. It's not 1988. I'm not 14 and that's not attractive. I did get a little bummed out when I found the coolest Jurassic Park shirt ever on clearance at Target but had to pass because it was one of these half tops that everyone is wearing now days.
  • Ditto for leggings. Although I will go against probable majority here and say I wear them as pants!! I guess I don't see the difference cos all I wear is yoga pants, and my ass is every bit as out there in those as it is in leggings. Most of my leg gins also puddle a little around my ankles, cos they're too long, so they feel more like skinny yoga pants to me, than leggings. I will say that I do wear longer tops though, which when pulled down do cover most of my ass. They don't tend to stay down though, due to movement. But I don't wear the shorter cropped stuff, cos I don't like it anyway.

• edited August 2014
    I tend to do that music. FI and I will declare that we hate some artist, but then they will slowly start to grow on us.

I think you mean Eric Church.

Edited to note that a bunch of other people picked up on this before I did :(
  • edited August 2014

I tend to do that music. FI and I will declare that we hate some artist, but then they will slowly start to grow on us.

I think you mean Eric Church.

Edited to note that a bunch of other people picked up on this before I did :(
    myyyyyyyyyyyy bad. How horrifying....hahaha

ETA: the same thing happened with Eric Church if that makes it any better?! haha. I'm so embarrassed! Now I'm the one who looks douchey!

dog animated GIF

• leggings.

Also, I have a pair of Sperry top siders that I wear all the time and LOVE. I am never anywhere near a boat or other places where boat shoes are normal. Also, mine are gold metallic.
  • I love my Sperry top siders so much that even though the laces have broken I still wear them around the house. I used to hate them also.

• Uggs and Leggings. Separately and together. I still think it's dumb to wear leggings solely as pants unless you're going to the gym, i.e., if you wear a shirt or dress that covers your butt I'm usually okay with it.

Uggs: I thought they were the dumbest, ugliest shoes, and they were so popular when I was younger. Then I tried on a pair and it was like walking on clouds. So I bought some. I also never understood when people wore them with shorts or skirts. Are you hot or cold? Why can't you decide? Then one day I had to go to the grocery store and I couldn't find any shoes except my Uggs. It felt great, because it wasn't actually all that cold, but just cold enough the Uggs were perfect. I still won't wear them out all day like that, but for a walk with the dog around the neighborhood or for a trip to the grocery store I usually just let my ill resentment go.

• pinkcow13 said:
    My iPhone lol. I was all anti iphones, and touchscreens in general. I totally loved my blackberry, and BBM, loved the keypad, and swore that I would never turn to the darkside and get an iPhone like everyone else did. 

Well, somehow I ended up getting the iphone 5 the day it came out and have been in love with it ever since. 
    Same here, though I went with Android rather than iPhone. My BB sucked, but I went with them because they're a Canadian company. FI still has his BB, and it's been crappy pretty much since he got it.

My hate/love relationship is with autocorrect. I thought I would totally hate it when I first got my Android, but it's the best. IT GETS ME. It's like a kid learning to read. 

• SBmini said:
    I do this all the time. I'm not a trend setter. I don't care to waste my money on fads and clothes that won't be in style in six months. My wardrobe consists mainly of staples from places like The Limited. But at least once a year I find myself saying, "Ugh, I hate X fad. It is so ugly. No way in hell am I ever wearing that!" Then three months later, I can't get enough of it. This happened to me with skinny jeans, the boho skirts that were in about a decade ago, the flowey tops that were all the rage about two years back, and so on and so forth. But mark my word, I will NEVER wear high waisted ANYTHING with a barely there, flowly midriff exposing shirt. It's not 1988. I'm not 14 and that's not attractive. I did get a little bummed out when I found the coolest Jurassic Park shirt ever on clearance at Target but had to pass because it was one of these half tops that everyone is wearing now days.

SITB

I HATE those stupid high cut shorts.  No one looks good in them.  I have a butt, and when I try them on, my butt totally disappears.  So if I'm having that problem, what are all of these girls who lack a butt to begin with doing?  Finding jean shorts this year was a nightmare.  Everything was high waisted.  I definitely also associate them with Mom jeans.  

• Leggings! I used to never understand why people wore them. Now I have five pairs. I mostly wear them around the house/at the gym though.
    Anniversary

• iPhones (still wont be convinced on Mac's though) and bomber jackets. 

I lived in my Sperry's during undergrad and grad school and still regularly bust them out. 
  • Yup, skinny jeans. I think it's literally an issue of exposure - if I see something often enough, I just may start to like it.

Oh, and the poufy bangs/quasi-fauxhawk look! About two years after the trend started, I actually bought a teasing comb...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards