Outdoor Weddings

Picnic table bench covers, pads, or linens?

We're having our wedding and reception in a really big state park picnic shelter (seats 168, lights, kitchen, etc.).  The picnic tables will be moved out to the lawn beside the shelter and use the shelter for buffet and dancing (unless we have to use it for weather challenges).  We're also going to mix in some round tables with the rectangular, picnic ones.  So here's the thing...the round tables and picnic tables will be covered with floor-length linens, like this:

My *current* question is about the picnic table benches.  I'm definitely going to have *at least* a pad made for each of them.  One step up from that, I'd have a pad under a fitted cover with an elastic edge (going under the edges of the bench).  Taking it a step further, what would you all think about using a modified plain pad on the table benches covered with a floor-length linen (like modified table cloth)?

From the very beginning of our planning, we've been picturing a juxtaposition between fancy/formal and pops of late spring/early summer color and energy.  Dressing up the picnic tables like that would not only fit into that juxtaposition, but would also keep everyone's nice clothes from getting snagged or dirty.  (I know some may dress more casually but, inevitably, some will dress nice because it's a wedding, even though it's at a park shelter.)

So what do you guys think?  Have you ever seen the benches covered that way?  Maybe I should get a cheap table cloth and run up to the park for a test run.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Picnic table bench covers, pads, or linens?

• I like the idea of doing a test run. The only thing with picnic tables is climbing in and out - not great for people in shorter dresses - just a consideration.

I went to a wedding earlier this summer in a park. They used the picnic tables and covered the benches by cutting up various fabric (even some sheets I think) in strips and securing them over the benches. They didn't use pads - it was fine and really cute. Might save you some money.
    *********************************************************************************

• True! I'll test that out, too. I'll definitely take into consideration who will probably dress in what way, which tables will have the most men sitting at them, etc., when doing a seating plan (and seat people who will likely be in short dresses at the tables with chairs as much as possible). I'll have to post pictures of the test runs. :-)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes! Definitely come back and post pics of the space!
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards