Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How much do people eat of cake?

Sorry if this has been asked.. So I've been to MANY weddings where the cake is barely touched... I do not want a bakery supply of cake left over :) What % of people do you think at a wedding actually eat the cake. Or any desert for that matter..My brother and sister in-law did a cookie bar.. I LOVED IT but they figured 2 cookies a person... they had more than half left...

Re: How much do people eat of cake?

• Our cake was pretty much demolished. I wish we had more we could have brought home!

If your crowd doesn't go overboard on cake, just have enough for one slice per person. Maybe see if your bakery can supply boxes for leftovers so your guests can take them with you. 

FWIW, my wedding had cake, a cookie bar, a milkshake truck, and a chocolate fountain. The cookies I went overboard on, and we had about probably about 4 per person, if not more. Those we had the most leftovers for, and had boxes for cookies and cake people wanted to take. What was left after the majority of our guest left, we let the staff take. It was mostly cookies that remained.

Anniversary
  • YUMMM that sounds like my type of wedding!!
  • We had cupcakes and I think we had about 3 left over. I always eat the cake when I go to a wedding, because I love cake. I would just be prepared and have to-go boxes for any left over cake. Have your venue box up any remaining cake and put in a place where guests notice it as they are leaving.

• The venue does not do food nor does is it staffed at the time of the wedding.. it's just space to have it. We have a catering company but they aren't doing the cake (They dont do cakes) So it'd be up to a family member to put it in boxes.. dont think I'll do that... Just not sure if I should order a ton of cake or not. Boy the last wedding I was at had about 300 people... they had 6 sheet cakes and 4 were left at the end of the night.. yikes.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014

If you take the time to find GOOD tasting cake - you won't have a crumb leftover - or in the case of the above just a few cupcakes.  We had table cakes for 400 guests and of those, we pieced together 3 out of 50...  In contradiction, a friend did table cakes at their wedding from a baker whose cake sucked and I think they had about 15 leftover..  At a cousin's wedding, her Mom made the cupcakes, and the ones she made there were none leftover, but the ones that the MIL made using grocery store rack tubs of frosting there were at least 50...  If something tastes delish people WILL eat it whether that be cake, cookies, ice cream, etc..  I've been to at least four weddings and got told "Sorry, we ran out of cake" because they didn't order enough - and as a guest, that SUCKS!!!!  I don't care if it's crummy frosting, I still prefer that over no opportunity for dessert of some sort!

So PLEASE- order enough cake/dessert for at least one slice per guest!!!  (and put in the time to use someone whose product is delicious - yummy knows no price point - I've had top of the line bakers products that no one touched, and I've had bottom of the price point spectrum that there wasn't a crumb left..)

• We had 35 guests at our wedding, but I ordered cake to serve 75 because I wanted a large cake. There was no cake left over except the top tier that they put aside for us to freeze at the end of the night.
  • The venue does not do food nor does is it staffed at the time of the wedding.. it's just space to have it. We have a catering company but they aren't doing the cake (They dont do cakes) So it'd be up to a family member to put it in boxes.. dont think I'll do that... Just not sure if I should order a ton of cake or not. Boy the last wedding I was at had about 300 people... they had 6 sheet cakes and 4 were left at the end of the night.. yikes.
    So who will be slicing up the cake and putting it on the plates if your caterer does not do cake?

• MesmrEwe said:

If you take the time to find GOOD tasting cake - you won't have a crumb leftover - or in the case of the above just a few cupcakes.  We had table cakes for 400 guests and of those, we pieced together 3 out of 50...  In contradiction, a friend did table cakes at their wedding from a baker whose cake sucked and I think they had about 15 leftover..  At a cousin's wedding, her Mom made the cupcakes, and the ones she made there were none leftover, but the ones that the MIL made using grocery store rack tubs of frosting there were at least 50...  If something tastes delish people WILL eat it whether that be cake, cookies, ice cream, etc..  I've been to at least four weddings and got told "Sorry, we ran out of cake" because they didn't order enough - and as a guest, that SUCKS!!!!  I don't care if it's crummy frosting, I still prefer that over no opportunity for dessert of some sort!

So PLEASE- order enough cake/dessert for at least one slice per guest!!!  (and put in the time to use someone whose product is delicious - yummy knows no price point - I've had top of the line bakers products that no one touched, and I've had bottom of the price point spectrum that there wasn't a crumb left..)

We've done 4 so far there are 5 within 30 miles of us... Not a fan of really any and I LOVE CAKE :) Just curious if anyone had a ton left sounds like they dont thanks!!
  • Have at least one piece per person, even if you don't have a huge cake crowd. 

Consider other dessert options if people aren't big on cake. We hired a chocolatier and had a big truffle bar. It was a huge hit and we barely had any leftover. I've also seen people do dessert bars where they have any combination of mini cheesecakes, cannolis, turtles, cupcakes, petite fours, brownies, cookies, donuts, etc. Any of those might be good options if you don't have a cake crowd. 

I second @chibiyui's idea of having take-home boxes so you don't have a ton of leftovers.
    *********************************************************************************

We had separate vendors (venue, caterer, bakery).  Even though the caterer didn't bake the cake, they still sliced and plated it as part of the package.  I'd confirm with your caterer that this isn't something they do if you haven't already. 

We had ~40 guests and ordered a cake to feed 75.  My mom said there was about half left at the end of the night, but she brought it back to the hotel bar and alot of people had more there. 
  • Check out Target Bakery and Walmart/Sam's Bakery for cake - The whipped icing they use is surprisingly really good (especially the chocolate). Granted they aren't exactly into the personalization, but they do have a solid product. I have a friend from high school who used Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes as table cakes. If you aren't impressed by the taste of the cake at any of the bakeries you checked out then consider a different dessert!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards