Honeymoon Discussions

Room upgrades worth the $$$??

tcnobletcnoble member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited August 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
Just looking for some opinions on paying for that next level of room category for your honeymoon. We are going to Secrets Maroma Beach and currently have the junior suite ocean view booked... But playing with the idea of upgrading. Those of you who have booked, or have honeymooned, what's your general feeling on upgrading?? I know some of it comes down to personal preference, just curious what others may say :) ETF I can't do math and the upgrade we were eyeing is out of our range. Bummer.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Room upgrades worth the $$$??

• tcnoble said:
    Just looking for some opinions on paying for that next level of room category for your honeymoon. We are going to Secrets Maroma Beach and currently have the junior suite ocean view booked... But playing with the idea of upgrading. Those of you who have booked, or have honeymooned, what's your general feeling on upgrading?? I know some of it comes down to personal preference, just curious what others may say :) ETF I can't do math and the upgrade we were eyeing is out of our range. Bummer.
    Make sure you let the hotel know it's your honeymoon.  You never know, perhaps you'll get an upgrade if one's available.  Or, you might get some other perk.  Doesn't hurt.
  • I've never upgraded while travelling, cos for the most part, we sleep there and don't do much else in the hotel, so as long as it's clean and quiet, I'm good.  I think it would be really nice though.  

• We paid $300 to upgrade to a swim up room (we booked a garden view) when we Honeymooned at Excellence Punta Cana. To us it wasn't worth the money, we didn't get any more amenities and actually ended up losing privacy at the end of the week because of the travel of other guests in front of our room. I wish we had just saved our money.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Kind of depends on what your plan is.  We basically wanted to be alone, so for the safari portion of our honeymoon i booked a room with a private pool rather than the regular room so that we could just hang out by ourselves instead of at the big pool.  I thought it was worth it.  It was an extra $200/night. 

If it's in your budget and you're getting some extra amenities out of it (private pool for example) it could be worth it.  I wouldn't have thrown down extra money just to get a slightly larger room though.  There would have to be someting demonstratively different about the overall experience for me to pay the extra cash.

• I generally do not find upgrades worth it unless it's to a club  level (normally comes with food options like free breakfast, snacks throughout the day) or on cruises where the rooms are fairly small or  to move to an outside room.

On our HM we stayed in some rooms in Europe and Africa that were the size of a postage stamp to a full blown suite and everything in between.   Sure the suite in on safari was amazing, but I would not have been able to justify the larger suite.   The small rooms in Paris and Amsterdam suited us just fine for our needs. 

but it really depends on how you travels.  Activities and meals are way more important to us then the size of the room. I feel we get more out of  upgrading meals (i.e. going to a fancier place) or upgrading seats at a show, booking a cabana for the day, doing a special activity (helicopter ride for an example) then we do having upgrading our room.   After the wow factor of the bigger room it's hardly noticeable for us.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks for the replies!! At this point we would be upgrading for a room located in a building closer to the ocean - we already booked an ocean view room, this would just put us a closer (ocean FRONT is a $2k upgrade. Yikes). It would cost $500 - and while I loooove sitting on the balcony listening to and enjoying the ocean, $500 would cover a lot of (if not all) our "fun" money while we are there... So I think we will forego the upgrade this trip.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:
    Thanks for the replies!! At this point we would be upgrading for a room located in a building closer to the ocean - we already booked an ocean view room, this would just put us a closer (ocean FRONT is a $2k upgrade. Yikes). It would cost $500 - and while I loooove sitting on the balcony listening to and enjoying the ocean, $500 would cover a lot of (if not all) our "fun" money while we are there... So I think we will forego the upgrade this trip.
    Yeah, if it is just a closer building I wouldn't do it either.
  • For that price, I agree that it's maybe not worth it just to be moved closer. I mean, you are going to the beach anyway right so an ocean view is nice. For me that would be enough because I would want the extra money to go on adventures and buy fun stuff. But if you guys just want to relax and enjoy each other's company then a big room may be worth it for you. 
  • AprilH81 said:
    tcnoble said:
    Thanks for the replies!! At this point we would be upgrading for a room located in a building closer to the ocean - we already booked an ocean view room, this would just put us a closer (ocean FRONT is a $2k upgrade. Yikes). It would cost $500 - and while I loooove sitting on the balcony listening to and enjoying the ocean, $500 would cover a lot of (if not all) our "fun" money while we are there... So I think we will forego the upgrade this trip.
    Yeah, if it is just a closer building I wouldn't do it either.

The room would still be an ocean view, but it would be closer and in a "preferred club" building. I've read countless trip advisor posts and the general consensus is that the preferred club isn't worth it. I just have a fear, after looking at the property map, that we will end up with a room in a building furthest from the beach lol so it's a constant debate about if the $500 is worth the peace of mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't do it, stay strong!  lol

As long as you can see the ocean you will be fine.
  • AprilH81 said:
    Don't do it, stay strong!  lol

As long as you can see the ocean you will be fine.

I know, I know. I just have to think of all the things we could do with $500!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here's what I would do- keep your Junior Suite and ask about an upgrade when you get there. Throw in that it is your honeymoon. If they have an upgrade available- that room probably will not be sold and they will be likely to give it to you without extra cost. It is likely easier for them to book a lesser room last minute than a full on suite. I've gotten a lot of upgrades by simply asking. 
  • Also, Secrets has a pretty cool honeymoon package.  I don't recall any cost associated with it, we just had to show a copy of our marriage license or invitation.  They gave us some neat little perks.  I'd look into that.
  • SBmini said:
    Here's what I would do- keep your Junior Suite and ask about an upgrade when you get there. Throw in that it is your honeymoon. If they have an upgrade available- that room probably will not be sold and they will be likely to give it to you without extra cost. It is likely easier for them to book a lesser room last minute than a full on suite. I've gotten a lot of upgrades by simply asking. 

Great idea!! But how do you ask for an upgrade without implying you'll pay for it?? What's the best verbiage to use?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I just ask if they have a better/bigger room available. What you get depends 100% on the staff and availability. Go in there expecting a Junior Suite and then you won't be disappointed if they don't have anything or if staff won't upgrade you. I've had it happen to me a few times where the room I booked was not up to expectations. Either the view was less than I thought it would be, or neighbors were noisy. I politely asked if they had something better because of above issue and boom- nicer room on a higher floor no extra charge.  Once, when staying in Vegas for my sister's 21st birthday the room we got was disgusting! There were black hairs in the tub, lights that didn't work. Just foul. We called down to the front desk right away, they sent someone up, who took one look at the room and promptly put us in the biggest suite they had available. In short- it never hurts to ask, and it never hurts to be honest when conditions aren't up to your expectations.
  • That is all very good advice @SBmini‌ !! I guess I just don't want to inquire about a bigger room or any available upgrades and insinuate we would be able to pay for it...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards