Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Unique ideas for unity ceremony

My fiance and I are looking for ideas for a unity ceremony that doesn't involve sand or wine. Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Unique ideas for unity ceremony

• Honestly, I'd recommend skipping a unity ceremony, especially if you're reaching for ideas. 

There are some fun unity ceremony thingies out there. But they only work if it fits you as a couple. So, if you decided to do something like a Prince Ruperts Drop cause it's different, a lot of your guests are going to be wondering how it relates to you if you're not into science. And why would you do something thats unrelated to you as a couple during your wedding ceremony, which unites you as a couple?

Anniversary
  • Just skip it, OP.  You're no more or less married if you do some extraneous unity crap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • We're doing a unity cocktail. Because drink=yay.

Unity cereamonies can be great, if they mean something to you. But if they don't, there's really no reason to do one. 
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    sarahtrg said:
    My fiance and I are looking for ideas for a unity ceremony that doesn't involve sand or wine. Anyone have any thoughts?

SIB
    What about some vows pledging to love each other for the rest of your lives. . . .that screams unity to me!
  • The candle unity ceremony that was used in the church service with my daughter's wedding and my own was symbolic of families being united, not individuals.  The parents participated.
    I don't see the point of another ceremony (in addition to the marriage vows) that is about uniting the couple.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We decided to skip this because it felt too cheesy for us.
  • Unity paint ceremony:
    imageimage
    Wine box and/or love letter ceremony (put in box to be opened at a later date):
    Tree planting ceremony: 
    Like the sand ceremony, but using your favourite spices instead:
  • Years ago, FI and I were out for a walk and he had 2 miniature cans of ginger ale and a dairy milk chocolate bar in his pocket. We talked about getting married and he told me that the next time he'd have those items, he would be proposing. It became a running thing for awhile. When he finally did propose, we came back to the hotel room and he had laid out 2 champagne glasses with mini ginger ales and a dairy milk chocolate bar by the jacuzzi tub. I was so touched that he remembered that detail. 

I wanted to incorporate it into the wedding somehow but FI wasn't keen on it being part of the ceremony.  We're doing a first look so we decided to have a private moment before everyone arrives and share a dairy milk and some gingerale to celebrate our "unity" and to reflect on how far we've come. I think I'm looking forward to that moment even more than the ceremony. 

Tl;dr? You don't need a "unity" ceremony for it to be wedding, only include one if it truly means something to you, and even then, it doesn't have to be a public display for it to mean something. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragain said:

I don't see the point of another ceremony (in addition to the marriage vows) that is about uniting the couple.
    I agree. I've never understood the additional unity ceremony. A wedding IS a unity ceremony. What more do you need?
  • doeydo said:

Unity paint ceremony:

imageimage
    Tree planting ceremony: 
    I would probably be a little irritated if I had to sit and watch the bride and groom plant a friggin tree. Way too long for a unity ceremony. ( which I often find cheesy anyhow)
  • jenbaer16 said:
    Years ago, FI and I were out for a walk and he had 2 miniature cans of ginger ale and a dairy milk chocolate bar in his pocket. We talked about getting married and he told me that the next time he'd have those items, he would be proposing. It became a running thing for awhile. When he finally did propose, we came back to the hotel room and he had laid out 2 champagne glasses with mini ginger ales and a dairy milk chocolate bar by the jacuzzi tub. I was so touched that he remembered that detail. 

I wanted to incorporate it into the wedding somehow but FI wasn't keen on it being part of the ceremony.  We're doing a first look so we decided to have a private moment before everyone arrives and share a dairy milk and some gingerale to celebrate our "unity" and to reflect on how far we've come. I think I'm looking forward to that moment even more than the ceremony. 

Tl;dr? You don't need a "unity" ceremony for it to be wedding, only include one if it truly means something to you, and even then, it doesn't have to be a public display for it to mean something. 
    I just needed to say that that is ridiculously adorable. 
    Anniversary

• I am considering the Unity In Glass idea. They have a website.  You send the glass crystals in to the company and then they create a unity sculpture with the glass and send back to you.  One of our first dates was to a glass blowing place so for me the idea kind of fits. It is a little pricey though.  I've also heard about love locks.
  • I am considering the Unity In Glass idea. They have a website.  You send the glass crystals in to the company and then they create a unity sculpture with the glass and send back to you.  One of our first dates was to a glass blowing place so for me the idea kind of fits. It is a little pricey though.  I've also heard about love locks.

I love this and you have a keepsake for life. I wonder what would be read by the officiant during this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jerkyanne said:
    Unity paint ceremony:
    imageimage
    Tree planting ceremony: 
    I would probably be a little irritated if I had to sit and watch the bride and groom plant a friggin tree. Way too long for a unity ceremony. ( which I often find cheesy anyhow)
    Yes, this. I could only see this working if you had an all day wedding gathering and at some point AFTER the ceremony the bride and groom decided to plant a tree together and it was entirely optional for guests to watch. I think the best wedding ceremonies are relatively short without a lot of filler.
  • I saw a unity plant in a pot once. They are farmers so I guess it fits them. As they planted all I could think of was this:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards