Honeymoon Discussions

Sandals v. Secrets

Hi all,
I was wondering what experiences people have had with both Sandals and Secrets. We want a tropical AI, and are willing to spend a bit more to upgrade. So far we are thinking either Secrets Maroma or Sandals St. Lucia or Grande Antigua. There's just a lot of options and we are trying to decide what might be best. All suggestions would be welcome. Budget is probably between $6-$8k. Is a private pool worth it? Is it better to do a room that walks out onto the beach? Has anyone done Butler service and if so, how was that?
Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sandals v. Secrets

• I believe that Sandals is a bit more high end than Secrets.  DH and I honeymooned at Secrets The Vine in Cancun and absolutely loved it.  We were on a club floor, which may have had butler service.  I would considered the butler service to be a waste of money if it's part of the club floor package, since I don't even remember seeing one. 

Make sure when booking, at either place, you or your travel agent let them know that it is your honeymoon so you get the perks associated with that. 

• @kaos16, I am definitely thinking about using a travel agent.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've heard the opposite, that Secrets tends to be more luxurious and less of a chain-type. FWIW we went back and forth between Sandals Grande St Lucia and Secrets Maroma... Ended up booking Secrets Maroma. I wasn't a big fan of the many different levels of rooms/guests and in turn the limited services in some levels at Sandals. I didn't think I should have to "upgrade" my room to get room service included. Secrets has a preferred club but most people say it isn't worth the $$ and you aren't excluded from anything except a lounge with snacks if you don't upgrade. I've also consistently read that the food at Secrets seems to bring in better reviews than people who review the food at Sandals, which for us was a major factor. On the other hand some people really love Sandals and it's a great fit for them. You really just have to look at both resorts, make a pro/con list if it helps, and see which lines up with what you're looking for. Trip Advisor is also a great resource!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:
    I've heard the opposite, that Secrets tends to be more luxurious and less of a chain-type. FWIW we went back and forth between Sandals Grande St Lucia and Secrets Maroma... Ended up booking Secrets Maroma. I wasn't a big fan of the many different levels of rooms/guests and in turn the limited services in some levels at Sandals. I didn't think I should have to "upgrade" my room to get room service included. Secrets has a preferred club but most people say it isn't worth the $$ and you aren't excluded from anything except a lounge with snacks if you don't upgrade. I've also consistently read that the food at Secrets seems to bring in better reviews than people who review the food at Sandals, which for us was a major factor. On the other hand some people really love Sandals and it's a great fit for them. You really just have to look at both resorts, make a pro/con list if it helps, and see which lines up with what you're looking for. Trip Advisor is also a great resource!!
    This. We are going to Secrets Maroma for our honeymoon - so excited! We consulted with a travel agent who confirmed that we chose one of the locations with the best beach and most romantic/quiet/private atmosphere.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We are getting married at Secrets Maroma and I have heard amazing things about it. I have never personally been to that resort but I have family members who loved it and my brother and sister in law loved it as well!

Good luck deciding!

• High five for Secrets Maroma!!! @beachyone15‌ @Latillo‌ When are you ladies traveling?? What room did you book??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @tcnoble We are going the last week of October (leaving the day after the wedding). We booked the Preferred Club Junior Suite Ocean View King. I've heard mixed reviews about whether or not the "preferred club" is worth it so we decided to try it. Also thought about getting a swim-up room until we realized that it's not really a private pool so other people could swim right up to our room-Eek!

We are SO excited to go!!! And apparently the hibachi restaurant is really good but books up fast so be sure to book that when y'all get there! Are you doing any excursions?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @tcnoble we are getting married on Sept 4, 2015 so we will leave for Secrets Maroma on the 1st and are staying 5 nights, 6 days. Not sure if we will then travel to a different resort for our honeymoon or we are thinking maybe a roadtrip up the coast of Cali! Still undecided.

We just booked the same room as offered to our guests which I believe is the junior ocean suite but with every 6 rooms booked I believe we get an upgrade so we'll see! I dont think we are going to do the swim up room though because my brother and sister in law did it and my SIL said there were more mosquitos because of the standing water and I HATE mosquitos lol. I'm going to request a room higher up I think.

You ladies will have to let me know how you like it!!

• @beachyone15 AWESOME!! Jealous you are going so soon - we aren't getting married/honeymooning until end of March. You'll have to let me know what you think of the Preferred Club ... we are torn on upgrading to the PC ocean view right now. So definitely report back!! We are doing an excursion to the Xplor park and also taking the ferry over to Cozumel one day to snorkel and explore. We definitely want to do the Hibachi restaurant, and book a cabana beach bed a few days :)

@latillo I'll definitely post a review on here when we get back! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A little late to the conversation, but while I've never been to Sandals, I did say at Secrets Silversands last year (halfway between Cancun and Playa del Carmen), and I loved it. The food and drinks were amazing, and the staff/service was just as good.
  • OP, when are you planning to go? We'll be honeymooning at Secrets Maroma in a little less than a month. I'd be happy to share our opinions and experiences when we get back.
  • OP, when are you planning to go? We'll be honeymooning at Secrets Maroma in a little less than a month. I'd be happy to share our opinions and experiences when we get back.

What room category did you book?? As you can see in PPs I'm debating an upgrade. Please share a review when you return!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:

OP, when are you planning to go? We'll be honeymooning at Secrets Maroma in a little less than a month. I'd be happy to share our opinions and experiences when we get back.

What room category did you book?? As you can see in PPs I'm debating an upgrade. Please share a review when you return!! :)

We booked the King Junior Suite Oceanview Preferred. Fingers crossed for an upgrade to their honeymoon suite :)

I will definitely post a review of Secrets. And Dreams Tulum where we'll be for the first five days doing our DW. We're in the same room there, just not the "preferred" upgrade. Not sure what we're really getting for that but it sounded good when we booked, lol. I'll let y'all know when we get back!
  • Can't wait to hear your review @STBMrsEverhart !!  Every time I read a bad review on tripadvisor of SMB I get nervous lol. Can't wait to hear about it first hand! Have a great time :)

• STBMrsEverhart, we aren't getting married until next October so I am guessing around November 2015! I would LOVE to hear about your experience when you return! Have a wonderful time!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was really interested in a swim up pool until I looked more into it..I think we would like a private pool if possible or I would like to be able to walk right out to the beach.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards