Pre-wedding Parties

Is This A Good Shower Gift?

Years ago I got a shower gift for a friend's daughter. Three cookbooks, one basic starter, like Betty Crocker, one crockpot book, because every bride gets a crockpot, and one easy Italian.

My mom kept telling me this was "chintzy". That is the only word she would use, "chintzy". The books were not cheap, they were about $60 total, and the bride got no other cookbooks.

It rattled me so much, I sent the gift ahead with the brides mom and didn't go to the shower, then didn't go to the wedding either.

Were the cookbooks a bad gift?

Re: Is This A Good Shower Gift?

• edited August 2014
    That gift wasn't chintzy. It's too bad you missed the shower and wedding because of your mother's rude comment.

• Your mother is entitled to her opinion, however I disagree with it. You gave a perfectly acceptable gift. It was thoughtful and sweet - evidenced by your well thought out reason behind selecting it.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I often give cookbooks. They're so handy! Your choices seem very thoughtful.
  • I love to cook, so I'd love a cookbook or 3 as a shower gift. Definitely. 

However I already have the basic Betty and a good crockpot cookbook that I like. My Italian cookbook is The Silver Spoon. So, I would love the thought, but already have cookbooks that fit these categories and would probably want to exchange them for cookbooks I didn't already have. 

That said, whenever you (general you) give a gift off the registry, I would include a gift receipt.
    *********************************************************************************

• I don't think those are bad gifts but unless the bride was inexperienced at cooking, she may have had one of the basics.

However, we received tons of gifts that we already "had" like pot holders and kitchen towels.   We still loved them and I think your gifts were very thoughtful. 
  • This particular bride and groom had not lived together, so she didn't have a collection yet. And her mom told me, no one else gave cookbooks.
  • It's a wonderful gift! It's one of those things that you don't think about getting for yourself in the beginning, so it's nice when someone gives you one. Don't feel rattled at all- I'm sure she loved it!
  • That was very thoughtful! FI and I have lived together for 4 years and I still love cookbooks.
  •  A kitchen isn't a kitchen without good cookbooks( even if they aren't used!) I would of been so happy with them. Don't listen to your moms advice again. It was a well thought out present x 
  • danamw said:
    This particular bride and groom had not lived together, so she didn't have a collection yet. And her mom told me, no one else gave cookbooks.
    You're sure?    I started buying cookbooks before I had my first apartment.   Was she living with her parents before the wedding?  That's the only way I'd be more certain that she didn't have cookbooks if she was accessing those that belonged to her parents. 
  • Yes she was living with her mom & stepdad before the wedding. If she was using cookbooks, they were her moms.

I kept that in mind when I decided on the gift.

• danamw said:

Yes she was living with her mom & stepdad before the wedding. If she was using cookbooks, they were her moms.

I kept that in mind when I decided on the gift.

Then even better!
  • I would have loved that gift, when my FI and I get around to register, we are going to put several cook books on our registry because we don't have any or if we do only 1-2 minus a book on beer but we have 3 crockpots already lol. FI and I love to cook and bake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Omg No!!!!! Cookbooks are one of my all time favorite gifts to receive!!!!! Especially when they come from people who are also good cooks and who write little notes on the title page..... Ohhhh that's too bad you missed everything.....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards