Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Engagement Photos... YAY or NAY?

Hey guys!
I was wondering what your opinion on engagement photos are? do you need to have them? is it a must to have them? I've had some people who aren't engaged give me their opinion but I want to know what everyone on here thinks of them!

"Four years ago, I was just a guy who had a crush on a girl, who had a boyfriend. And I had to do the hardest thing that I've ever had to do"

Re: Engagement Photos... YAY or NAY?

• Options
    I plan on getting them more-so because then we have a chance to work with the photographer before our wedding day. 

We can get comfortable with each other, and we can make sure we like the style of the photographer. Ect. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    Personally they're a must for me! You can use them for your website, save the dates or wedding invites! It was so much fun to just spend time with my fiancé getting wonderful pictures of us. This is my second marriage and the first time around he didn't care about all that and neither did i. But this time around they were a must have! Congrats and happy planning!
  • Options
    yeah that makes sense, a friend of ours who owns a studio here is doing ours so we already know him. Lots of people have asked me if I'm going to get them done, but I honestly have no idea. I would love to, but I don't know. It's confusing me, along with everything else with this weekend right now! stressed beyond the max.

"Four years ago, I was just a guy who had a crush on a girl, who had a boyfriend. And I had to do the hardest thing that I've ever had to do"

• Options
    We have almost no pictures of us as a couple. Engagement photos are really important to us.
  • Options
    We have a lot of picture together, but now i'm thinking it would be nice to have them, I would love to save them maybe for our kids and also put them on the invitations. 

• Options
    We got them so we could get used to being in front of the camera and working with our photographer. It was worth it because we were comfortable and ready to go on our wedding day.
  • Options
    We weren't planning on it, but our photographer asked if he could do a session with us to practice before the wedding. I honestly don't plan on really doing anything with them though. 
  • Options
    I definitely don't think you NEED them, but if you want them and can afford them go ahead! Me and my FI don't have any professional pictures together, so I definitely wanted to do them... BUT I did not want to shell out a lot of money for them, so I asked my sister who has taken up photography as a hobby ever since her first child was born 5 years ago. We're going to park this Sunday :-)
  • Options
    For us it was a must, only because we had little to no photos of us together, we wanted them for our wedding website (I started our website before we had our e-photos taken and it was just blah and boring and now with our photos it looks 10 times better), we wanted to send save the dates with a photo of us on them, and I also wanted to later create a wedding wall of e-photos and wedding photos with canvas's and such. Photos are something that you can't ever get back. Plus it was a chance for us to work with our photographer before the wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Of course you don't need them! 

We did a brief 30 minute session and ended up with 15 proofs to pick from and 5 edited, finished photos to use. It was perfect. I mostly wanted to do them because most of our couple photos were drunken college photos, and I wanted a picture on our save the date. 

I will say, especially now having my wedding photos back, I'm SO glad we didn't waste a ton of time and money on engagement photos. I still love those photos, but they became kind of old news when we got nearly 2000 wedding photos, you know?
  • Options
    H and I didn't do them and do not regret not getting them at all.

As manateehugger said, once you get your wedding photos your engagement photos kind of get pushed to the back of the drawer never to be seen again.

• Options
    We loved getting them done, but we ended up with just 10 fully edited pictures.  We used 3 of them for the Save the Date cards.  We like getting pictures together done, lol.  Plus they were part of the photography package we bought.

• Options
    Personally, I think they're kind of silly for me because I would never USE them for anything and we don't need 4000 pictures of ourselves :)

That being said, it would have been nice to "practice" posing and smiling, etc. that worked for us before our wedding day (there are a few pictures I would have really liked, but something about our body positions just looked kind of awkward) but I definitely don't think you need to pay a photographer to do that. 
  • Options
    You certainly don't Have to do them, and if you already have a bunch of nice pictures together and want to keep your costs down why bother. But if you don't have any good pictures of the two of you and want to use photos for stationary, etc, it's probably not a bad idea. I'm going to try to convince my fiancé to get some taken by a pro, since the best photo we have of the two of us was taken at our high school prom nearly a decade ago lol. Like some other folks have said, I also really want to practice being in front of the camera before my big day; as a photographer I am always behind the camera and am very uncomfortable having my own picture taken resulting in very akward/embarrassing photos of myself. If you fall into a similar boat, you may want to do them to help prepare you for wedding day photos.
  • Options
    We did them about a week before our wedding, because they were included with our package.  I wouldn't have cared at all if we didn't do them.    I haven't used the pictures for anything.  I guess it was good to see how they came out (we got the proofs back before the wedding) and have a little time working with the photographer, but really it made no different to us to have them nor would I have regretted not doing them.  
  • Options
    We took some. It was great to have some nice photos of us as a couple (not that iPhone photos aren't nice!). It was also nice to work without photographer: I felt a little nervous and awkward in the beginning, but more comfortable at the end. So I'm happy that I got those nerves out before the wedding!
  • Options

We did them because neither of us had ever had any professional pictures taken other than school pictures so we wanted to get used to having a photographer follow us around. It was also nice to meet the photographer and spend some time with him since he's going to be with us day.

• Options
    We're not photo people. I didn't have photos done for my high school or university grads or anything like that either...I'm happy with the occasional iPhone snap on holiday. So we're not doing them. No one besides the parents would want them anyway, I figure, and we're not into displaying photos of ourselves in our home, so yeah.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes!!! Takes some of the nerves off, you get to hang out with your photographer and you see what poses work for you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We honestly want to do them so that we can have some good, timeless photos together.  I understand that wedding photos will ultimately trump our engagement photos, but at the same time, we are thinking of using ours as wall art in our home, and we felt like the engagement pics were a better choice to display just some really good pictures of us, without being too formal. If that makes any sense.  We are having ours done next Sunday, and we both have chosen classic outfits, and a wide open field and a creek to shoot at (we live in the country on about 100 acres).  But this choice is definitely up to you and your FI.  Just keep in mind how you wil use them later and that should help you make your decision.  Congrats by the way!

• Options
    We have decided not to have any engagement photos done. We talked about it and decided that neither one of us cares that much about engagement photos and we're not planning on using our picture on our STD's. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

They were included in our package, and I LOVE them! They got us comfortable with our photographer and with being in front of the camera.  We also had some great pictures that we were able to use for our guest book, my shower, and will use for our rehearsal dinner.  They aren't necessary, but I'm happy that we have them!  Plus it was a really fun day and got us even more excited for the wedding! Here are a few of our favorites!

• Options
    This one didn't attach for some reason :)
  • Options
    Engagement shoots are definitely not a "must" by any means. However, I think they can be a fun way to spend the day with your FI and make some memories. You can also utilize them to test out a photographer you're considering booking or get to know a photographer you've already booked. In the end, it's completely up to you. :)
  • Options
    I agree with chocolada7, they're definitely not a must. But it's a fun thing to do with you and your fiancé. I originally wasn't going to do them, but a friend of mine strongly suggested I do it. She even got a guy, who we both went to high school with and who does photography on the side, to do the engagement photos for us as a gift. And let me tell you, I am so glad we did them. It took way longer than we thought, but the photographs were beautiful. I even used one of them for the Save the Dates and we put several of them on our wedding website. 
  • Options
    I didn't think they were a must, but they were included in our photographer package and I'm SO HAPPY they were. I just got them back over the weekend. Our contract specified a 1 hour session, but she spent about 2 hours with us, sent us 222 photos, and we made an album of all of the ones we really liked, which came out to 75 edited photos. There are definitely things I learned during the session that I will try to keep in mind on my wedding day - such as that I have a tendency to hunch my shoulders and tuck my chin in too much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I believe they are a must! That doesn't mean that they have to be a huge expense! Most people should know someone who has a nice camera and take decent photos. I think engagement photos are wonderful to display at the wedding shower and wedding! Also great for save the dates, if you choose to use them! 
  • Options
    My opinion is a yes if the price is reasonable or like someone mentioned, if a friend good with a camera takes them. I think these photos will make a nice impression on your wedding website when your family/friends visit and sets a lovely tone for your upcoming wedding. :) We are doing ours soon in a pretty garden and probably also having a friend snap a few more in places that mean something to us like where we met, etc. Have fun :)
  • Options
    Personally, they are a MUST HAVE for me!
  • Options
    most likely not. my cousin did 3 different sets. and it was over kill. we might just take some with a friend or something but nothing really official. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards