Destination Weddings Discussions

Anyone willing to share their list of items in your budget?

I have been trying to make a list for the last 2 hours, between browsing for dresses, but am stuck. You do not need to list prices, unless you really want too, as I know it varies person to person and per location. I mainly just need the items. We are planning a DW to somewhere tropical and then a reception at home. We have talked about budget for certain items but a list will help us discuss more about the budget, lol. Thanks!

Re: Anyone willing to share their list of items in your budget?

• The Knot has a customizable budget tool you can use. 

You can delete the things you don't need and add the things that are unique. In your case, you'd need to use the tool for one part and then have a spreadsheet or something similar for the other part. But, this at least gets you started. 

Also, you may not be able to make a full list for your DW yet because it will depend on where you choose to go and what is included in the wedding package. Some resorts include more than others. 

I'm also curious as to why you keep mentioning rude responses in all of your posts. I have not seen one rude response to anything you have posted. The ladies here all give honest, yet totally helpful advice. Remember. we can only go on what you tell us. Yes, you may open yourself up to some criticism because you are posting personal information (ex: $15K on a gown is more than a lot of people spend on their entire wedding). I'm not saying you deserve the snark, but just remember that people only see what you post and cant read your mind :)

• Budget tool was not helpful for what I need which is why I am asking here. I have a different number of guest coming to the wedding then the reception and the numbers were way off for certain things. I am just inputting things into a spreadsheet. Btw: not all info can be shared for safety reasons due to rank/MOS. I'm watched like a hawk on what is shared so sometimes I can only be vague or just ask simple questions.
  • Budget tool was not helpful for what I need which is why I am asking here. I have a different number of guest coming to the wedding then the reception and the numbers were way off for certain things. I am just inputting things into a spreadsheet. Btw: not all info can be shared for safety reasons due to rank/MOS. I'm watched like a hawk on what is shared so sometimes I can only be vague or just ask simple questions.
    That isn't exactly what I was talking about when sharing information, but you probably shouldn't have even shared that. 

I noticed you had posts in two different forums and not all of the same information was shared in those posts. So, I was trying to piece together information to help you. I'm going to be honest and say that based on what information you have given, you are not likely going to get many responses. This is because of budget and type of plans. However, I happen to have planned a large, traditional, six figure wedding for my first marriage and a destination wedding for my second. I looked at many different destinations across the world and travel extensively, so I have a lot of good information on planning weddings in different countries or just having travel experience. 

Even if the budget tool was not exact, it is a start to maybe help jog your memory of things you might need. That is why I suggested looking at it, or perhaps using it for your AHR and then using a spreadsheet for the DW. 

• Like you were told previously, it's hard to come up with destination wedding specifics without having destination or knowing what that venue provides.  My venue provided flowers, food, beverage, cake, officiant, DJ, decoration, coordinator, photographer for ceremony & reception... so my budget list was very small because it was all included in my venue fee.

Really, the requirements shouldn't be much different than a traditional at home wedding. Additional items needed may include travel expenses & lodging. Or other activities you want to do at the destination. But, otherwise, any budget items I can think of are things you could have at local wedding, maybe just with different valuation... like licensing fees, flowers, photographer, officiant, dress, music, venue, food, drink, decoration, transport to/from ceremony, makeup/hair/nails, etc.  No matter where the wedding is location, the general needs & requirements are still the same.

• We're having a destination wedding in an incredibly short timeframe. At first it was supposed to be an elopement with 2 witnesses... Then it turned into a destination wedding when we disclosed our plans to those we would have too much guilt to bear if we didn't. I specifically didn't want the cost of a typical wedding when I am trying to keep this small since I couldn't limit it to only 4. So I found a rental property that would accommodate everyone. (I sent inquiries out to the owners of a couple places to see if we could hold our event there since everyone coming would be staying on property.) So now I have accommodations and venue! Score! I have my dress already, just have to get a suit for my partner. I'm bringing my own photographer in with my guests because I am a photographer myself and would prefer to utilize someone who's vision I trust. (I'm a bit of a control freak as many artists are.) Reservations for our dinner in place of reception. Jewelry and dress accessories. Those plastic shoe things so the heels don't sink into the grass. I'm lucky that I found a scenic venue that has a perfect spot for the ceremony in the back yard. I'm considering providing a backdrop hanging of paper flowers because it will be December and I'm afraid it may look a bit bleak with the Forest being bare around us. The flowers should provide just enough pop of color to separate but not over power. Officiant We have to take a separate trip up there a couple weeks before to get our marriage licenses because we're not local we're both required to be present, and we can't be there days before to wait out the waiting period. The highlight of this inconvenience is we get to drive by our venue and make sure it's just as pretty as the pictures. I figure as long a I have the licenses, officiant, venue, and dinner after I'm pretty good! It's been a couple weeks since you asked this question so what did you get figured out?
  • Thanks @bridesonherun! I am a wedding photographer too so I understand. I was looking at rentals but they want $5-12K a week and some hold up to 11 people. Our travel agent (his aunt) gets into town this week so I can't wait to see what she says. We would have 34 people to go if we didn't invite everyone. If everyone is invited we are looking at 175-300 people, gasp. I have my dress and figured what they guys will wear. I have been BM dress shopping and narrowed it down to 2. Found my photographer which was hard since I know so many but my cousin is a great photographer in VA so I am flying she and her hubby out. Still looking at venues since the ones we had wanted are booked.
  • Ahh, someone who understands my pain... Um neurosis. :)

I used VRBO.com for my destination house. (If you haven't already checked them out. I found an 8 bedroom mansion that offered to allow me to have the ceremony there for an additional $1,500. So some of them are just plain crazy. In my location it could be available to find accommodations for your minimum of 34 because many of the row houses have been turned into rentals. You'd just want to look for the ones close enough in proximity to suit your needs. I also looked into renting out the entire bed and breakfast's that were in the area. A few of them were comprable to what I ended up choosing. However, I can not offer any advice about your maximum number! I sure wish you luck with that though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards