Chit Chat

I'm second-guessing our first dance song.

Ahhhhh! Can the wedding just get here already so I can stick with my decisions? 

We had originally chosen Come Away With Me by Norah Jones. But after so many times of hearing John Legend's All of Me (not the remix), I've totally fallen in love with it. 

I think the hard part was that we don't really have a song. So we just listened to a bunch and decided. Gah. 

Re: I'm second-guessing our first dance song.

• Dude. I fucking LOVE that song. I could listen to it for hours and not get sick of it. I would sure as shit pick it over Norah Jones. 

BUT Norah Jones annoys me. Sooooo my helpfulness is limited here. 

FI and I don't really have a song either, so we're struggling to put together any music. Especially since our tastes are pretty divergent. :/ Not to mention my sister is threatening to sneak screamo into the mix (which is a huge HELL NO for both of us) and my mom wants me to walk down the aisle to Pachelbel's Canon and while I love it, it's not me... I just am about set to have no music muahahahahaha. 

I'm a horrible wedding planner, no one would ever hire me.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • If you like the other one better, switch!

Right?

Do one for your official 1st dance and later in the night make sure the other is played so you can dance to it as well.

FI wants to do Queen's "You're My Best Friend"  Is that dumb?  I like it because it's more upbeat and we aren't sappy peolpe but, I dunno.  I don't want to do any spotlight dances to be honest ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Dude. I fucking LOVE that song. I could listen to it for hours and not get sick of it. I would sure as shit pick it over Norah Jones. 

FI and I don't really have a song either, so we're struggling to put together any music. Especially since our tastes are pretty divergent. :/Not to mention my sister is threatening to sneak screamo into the mix (which is a huge HELL NO for both of us) and my mom wants me to walk down the aisle to Pachelbel's Canon and while I love it, it's not me... I just am about set to have no music muahahahahaha. 

Dude, my brother is also a HUGE screamo fan. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he asked the DJ to play some songs. 
  • We did the same; no "special song" to us, so I just came up with a list of slow songs that I enjoyed.  Whichever one H was least snarky about, that was our first dance.

If you're torn, you can always use one for the first dance and then have your DJ play the other at another point during the evening!
    Anniversary

• Ughhhh me too. It's been so hard to find a song that's "us" when we don't have "a song"... but then I overthink it way too much and think this one's too old, that one my ex used to sing to me, this one I like the lyrics but hate the guy who sings it, that one's overdone, BLAH.

Sorry I don't have any advice. Here's some wine.

• Come Away with Me was the song DH and I chose.  Mostly because it can be a waltz and we spent time taking dance lessons before the wedding.  Our other song is Ingrid Michaelson's cover of Can't Help Falling in Love with you.
    Anniversary

• We did Kenny Chesney's Be As You Are.    

DH picked up the song.  He said the first thing he liked about me was he could just be him so he was drawn to the song.  Plus I use to work at the bar in the song.  So there is a connection there.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • This is funny because my mom and step dad did "come away with me" as their wedding song 9 years ago. And then this past summer my mom informed me that her and my step dad have a new song... "All of me"

Anniversary
  • H& I chose a different first dance song 3 days before the wedding.  We realizd our first choice (was a bit awkward to dance to- All I Ask of You) and we switched it to something else better to dance to.

If you and your FI both like this song better then switch it no big deal, and which ever song you don't choose at a first dance, make sure it stays on your must play list so you can still dance to it.  I'm not a big fan of the song All of Me, and I feel like it's such an overplayed popular song. H loves it though and we had it played at our reception.

Anniversary

• We didn't have a first dance song so my opinion really doesn't count. I'll gladly share it anyway, though ;)

Nora Jones all the way. All of Me makes me staby...particularly the new "techno" version they have playing all.the.fucking.time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think we always kind of knew which song we were going to dance to (Unconditionally by Katy Perry) but for us its finding the right version. We don't want the original because it is too upbeat. Then we found a piano and string version and now I just looked because of this thread and found an acoustic version (which is what we originally wanted) that I kind of really like.

I have also in the last couple days started rethinking my father/daughter dance song with my grandfather which originally was going to be Here Come's the Sun by the Beatles, but I am now thinking of switching to an acoustic version of I'll Be There For You from Friends because it is both of our favorite show. 
    Anniversary
  • I loved "All of Me" is a beautiful song and I would have loved to use it but it got so popular. I would have went with another John Legend song. but H didn't like them. We went super non traditional for our first dance song. We chose Miguel "Simple Things" and minus some choice lyrics I was happy with it.

Neither of us are very musical so we just picked one and looked like idiots while dancing.
  • I definitely don't want something that people think is annoying and overplayed. I guess I should just stay with my original choice.
  • I wouldn't worry about that. If it speaks to you both go for it!
  • I definitely don't want something that people think is annoying and overplayed. I guess I should just stay with my original choice.

I love all of me and wouldn't judge. Actually, I probably wouldn't remember two weeks later. Do something that you like, ignore the judgement!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NORAH FOR THE WIN!
  • edited August 2014
    Dude. I fucking LOVE that song. I could listen to it for hours and not get sick of it. I would sure as shit pick it over Norah Jones. 

FI and I don't really have a song either, so we're struggling to put together any music. Especially since our tastes are pretty divergent. :/Not to mention my sister is threatening to sneak screamo into the mix (which is a huge HELL NO for both of us) and my mom wants me to walk down the aisle to Pachelbel's Canon and while I love it, it's not me... I just am about set to have no music muahahahahaha. 

Dude, my brother is also a HUGE screamo fan. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he asked the DJ to play some songs. 
    We should exchange siblings for our weddings - you send your brother here, and I'll let him hang out with my sister and listen to ALLLLLL the screamo he wants, and then I'll just ship off my sister to you and they can do it all over again. 

I've told my sister she gets exactly ZERO say in the music, and if we have a person manning music at all, that person will be made aware that she's not allowed to request, add, or change ANY of the music. At all. Zero. She walks around either spewing screamo out of her back pocket, or out of her off-key mouth. I am going to get one day in which anything I hear music-wise, is my choice. And if we don't, then whatever device is spitting out music will have The Passcode From Hell on it so she can't get into it. 

*stomps foot and runs off to pout*

ETA: After having read the comments, I'm seeing that All of Me is getting "overplayed". I never ever ever hear it, so I didn't realize. Also I would not have any fucks to give about it being "overplayed" - to me, overplayed is when it starts driving me, personally, up the wall. As yet, All of Me has not hit that threshold. 

Fucking every song by Pierce the Veil has though. -.- 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think it's normal to 2nd guess your choices.

That said, I'm over hearing that John Legend song.    It's almost as bad as My Heart Will Go On from 1998.

BUT, there are TONs of other songs out there.   BIL and SIL went with Nora Jones' "Nearness Of You" and almost went with DMB "You and Me".   We liked John Denver's "Annie's Song". 
  • banana468 said:
    I think it's normal to 2nd guess your choices.

That said, I'm over hearing that John Legend song.    It's almost as bad as My Heart Will Go On from 1998.

BUT, there are TONs of other songs out there.   BIL and SIL went with Nora Jones' "Nearness Of You" and almost went with DMB "You and Me".   We liked John Denver's "Annie's Song". 
    Oh god. That song tortured me. I was working at JC Penney when it came out and they playing it constantly. That and a Shania Twain song. *shudder* 
  • banana468 said:

Oh god. That song tortured me. I was working at JC Penney when it came out and they playing it constantly. That and a Shania Twain song. *shudder* 
    Man, I Feel Like a Woman?!?! 
    Anniversary
  • banana468 said:

Man, I Feel Like a Woman?!?! 
    You're Still The One. 
  • Mine is "All of Me", but now i'm sick of it already :(
  • I've recommended this on here before, but to those who love All of Me but hate how overplayed it is, what about a cover? I love this version WAY MORE than the original.

• Do one for your first dance and the other as the last song of the night...that's how we picked between 2. :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I hate the John Legend song. But I am second guessing myself because I have totally fallen in love with Sam Smith "stay with me".

• edited August 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    I hate the John Legend song. But I am second guessing myself because I have totally fallen in love with Sam Smith "stay with me".
    The words to that song though are pretty much like - I know this isn't love but stay with me anyway.
  • jenna8984 said:
    I hate the John Legend song. But I am second guessing myself because I have totally fallen in love with Sam Smith "stay with me".
    The words to that song though are pretty much like - I know this isn't love but stay with me anyway.
    Yeah that song is about a one night stand.

• jenna8984 said:

The hard thing about wedding songs are you want them to be positive. No matter how nice it sounds you don't want a "bad" song to be basically the theme song of your relationship.
  • jenna8984 said:
    Ditto.  "This ain't love it's clear it's clear to see, but darling please stay with me."

@ClimbingBrideNY, John Legend also has a collaboration with Lindsey Sterling on violin that's really pretty and a little different-- although it's still him singing, not a cover.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards