October 2014 Weddings

Ugghhh....hair retrial!

So my stylist left the salon I've contracted with to get my hair done. I already had a hair and makeup trial and I was super happy with my hair and thought I was all set on a style. Now that my stylist is gone, the salon has asked me to come in for a re-trial with someone new to make sure we have something I'm happy with. So now my mom has opened up that she'd rather see me in some sort of half up/half down style rather than my original updo. The thing is, I was pretty happy with my updo. I have a round face, but I thought the style was really pretty and flattering and held up well. However, my mom has always given me very honest opinions and I really trust her taste so I'm starting to re-think things and could use some outside opinions.

Here is my original look and inspiration. I think the only thing I wanted to change here was to bring my bangs a little lower over my forehead:

imageimageimageimage

And my dress:

imageimage

And here are some new inspiration photos. I'm wearing a pearl and rhinestone headband, no veil. The girl in thethird photo actually has my exact hair color.:

imageimageimageimage

imageimage

So I just don't know. I'm feeling at a bit of a loss right now, and also confused.

Re: Ugghhh....hair retrial!

• Ok, first of all, you look gorgeous in your hair trial pic.  I would have no complaints with that if the new person can do it just the same.  But really, it's all about whether you want it up or down.  I think you could look gorgeous with that style in the second to the last photo you posted of half up/down.  Are you worried at all about curl staying/holding?  If so, an up do is probably best.  But if not, then I understand why you're torn.  I would have a hard time ignoring my mom's opinion, even if she is an old lady (not yours, mine) I still respect that she knows what looks good on me.
  • Can you try two styles?  I'm stuck between the same two looks as you (actually, some of our inspiration pictures are the same) and I feel like I really need to see both looks on me before making a decision.  I haven't gone in for my trial yet (no idea what I'm waiting for), but I plan to try both and make a decision from there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They are both lovely options. If they won't show you both styles, I would go with the one that will make you the most comfortable. Will you get hot with your hair down? Are you worried about it holding? Then I would go with the updo. Do you normally prefer your hair down? Would the updo give you a headache? Go with the hair down.
  • I really like the photos from your first trial. That's such a pretty up-do! I love your headband!! I agree that your bangs should be further down though. 
    I also like the last picture with the curly/messy braid thing. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014

@Blergbot At my original trial my stylist basically asked for me to choose something up or down because she'd be able to spend the most time focusing on one style over styling and then restyling my hair again. I'm normally pretty basic with my hair. Either I pull it up in a pony tail or I wear it down with minimal styling because it's naturally straight. It's kind of a 50/50 thing every day depending on how lazy I feel.

@Belle2188 Maybe I can just go for a half up style at the trial so I can at least have photos of both options. The only downside to this is if I end up not liking the down style, then I'll be going in on my wedding day with a stylist who never actually tried to do the original.

@Pepperally I know exactly what you mean! It's so hard to just not listen and take my mom's opinions seriously because she knows me well, and we have a really great relationship. But at the same time this is one of those thing's that it's MY hair and it doesn't affect anyone else so it should be all about me and my choices right? I just don't want to fall in to regretting my hair after the fact even though I like it now so I'm second-guessing.

I'm not too worried I think about my hair holding. I know it will at least hold for the ceremony and photos anyway and will likely get looser and messier as the evening wears on since I'm a crazy dance freak. I had my hair styled for my e-photos, just some light curls and hair spray, and it held up really well in the pictures and had lots of movement. And since the wedding is mid-October we SHOULD have pleasant, coolish weather.

• I'd try a half up/half down style at your re-trial. You've already seen how the up-do looks, try something new and then see which you prefer. FWIW, I love your up-do and most of your half & half inspiration pics. I'm no help :)
  • Oh my gosh, I love the up-do!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014

I love the up-do, too! (But I am biased because I am doing an up-do). You need to do what makes you feel beautiful. I think that this is one of those situations where you can totally pull the "it's my day" card.

ETA: Can I just point out what a knock out you are?!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You ladies are all seriously way too sweet!

• You'll rock either style - I prefer the updo (maybe it's because it sounds like you love it a little more).

Anniversary
  • If you hadn't found out about the change in stylist, would you have been reconsidering at all?? At my trial, I had a very sloppy version of 2 different styles. I wish I had seen them both exactly how they would look for the wedding, but oh well. You're lucky to get to see them both 100%. If you like the way she does the half up-do, then chances are she would be successful withe the full up-do as well. You should be able to judge her skill level somewhat. If I felt I would look nice with an updo, I would go with that, no doubt, so I wouldn't have to worry about it getting messy. So since you know you love the updo, maybe just stick with that!? Either way, you will look gorgeous! They aren't making you pay for a second trial, are they!?
  • @hkda2003 No definitely not! They told me this trial would be free thank goodness! I definitely would've 1. Been pissed if they had asked me to pay and 2. Been even more pissed if they had changed my stylist on me without telling me and then not even brought up a re-do trial. I think I'm going to go with what everyone is saying and do the trial with a half-up half-down style and see how it looks. Maybe I'll love it more? You're right that this a good opportunity to at least assess her skill level and I should be able to make an easy decision from there!

I'm so excited! I scheduled my re-do for the day of my bachelorette so now my hair and make-up will be all fancy and I don't have to do any work to get it that way!

• While you are there, you can always ask her how she feels about doing the updo if you decide you don't want the 1/2 up-1/2 down style (It's a simple question).

Anniversary
  • Just an update. I had my hair retrial on Saturday and LOVED it! My make up retrial was also great although I didn't get any pictures. I guess whoever did my make up last time was either having a bad day or lazy or who knows...but the person I worked with this weekend was SO MUCH BETTER. I used this picture for inspiration and the back of my head came out looking exactly like it! I need to trim up my extensions a little bit more but otherwise I'm 100% happy with the new style.

imageimage

• Gorgeous! I'm glad it went well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards