Honeymoon Discussions

Caribbean Honeymoon in the next week or so...Hurricanes???

So our wedding is in 10 days!!!  Holy crap!

We leave for our honeymoon on the 8th and I have been stalking the national hurricane center's website just watching all the storm activity around our destination, Dominican Republic.  I'm SUPER bummed because I am seeing storm after storm brewing and it's looking like we will have some serious weather during the week we are planning to be there.  We bought trip insurance but that only comes into play if the storm gets classified as a hurricane.  Rain every day from a tropical cyclone still sounds pretty miserable and we'll just have to suffer through it :-(

I'm just bummed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Caribbean Honeymoon in the next week or so...Hurricanes???

• Hurricanes are very unpredictable in their track, even up until the very moment it strikes land. I would start worrying about 1-2 days before if you happen to see something. If you do go and you get rain from a storm, it will probably only be 24-48 hours. Usually once a storm passes through, you'll have beautiful weather. 

• i lived in islands. Sure the weather channel had us raining everyday, but it was normally nothing more than a passing shower mid-day. It was rarely a show stopper. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Yes there is something to the east of the Lesser Antilles, yes there is a 10% chance it might form, but even if it does it will more than likely last a day and then it will be beautiful. I personally would not worry.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I went to the DR for two weeks a few years ago. Yes, it rained when I was there, but it definitely did not stop me from getting out and enjoying myself. The only time I was cautious was when it was lightning, other then that it just added to the excitement of being there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can't trip insurance be used for a lot of things? I believe you could tell them one of you fell ill, or an emergency came up. Just a thought in case you want to post-pone it!! Good luck :)
  • Can't trip insurance be used for a lot of things? I believe you could tell them one of you fell ill, or an emergency came up. Just a thought in case you want to post-pone it!! Good luck :)
    You can do that if you purchased a strong cancel for any reason policy. Most cancel for any reason policies do not refund you the full amount because you can just literally cancel for any reason. If you did not purchase a cancel for any reason policy, you need to provide lots of documentation for cancellations. Like ER reports, death certificates, etc.

Bottom line- if you invoke your insurance policy to cancel, you should make sure you really have a VERY good reason for it and have the documentation to back it up. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards