Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Father/daughter & mother/daughter dance

I am super close with both my parents. My question is.. Is it appropriate to do a dance with father then later do a dance with mother? Or should I just dedicate a song to her and dance with her but not make it an "event" like the father daughter dance? I want to dance with my mom to mamas song by Carrie underwood. And dancing to butterfly kisses with my dad

Re: Father/daughter & mother/daughter dance

• It's lovely, and you know you can do whatever you want.  Just keep in mind, sometimes guests grow tired of NOT being allowed to dance, and just watching other people dance.  How about consider playing your song, dedicating it to your mom, and then inviting either all mothers and sons and/or daughters to join in ... or everyone!  

(Think of your guest list - I bet there are all ages and types of mothers attending :-))

• Thank you that is what I will do!
  • OP, my parents & I are doing this:  My dad & I are doing to have our spotlight dance, just the two of us.  Then, FI & his mom are going to have a spotlight dance, just the two of them.  Then, after those two dances, we're going to open up the floor to everyone dancing - the song that opens it up to everyone is something my mom & I picked, so we'll start the dancing (just the two of us) and invite the guests to the floor.

If your mom agrees, maybe just pick a song with her - when the DJ plays it, you both will know it's time to dance with each other.  You'll still get to dance with your mom, but guests wouldn't have to sit and watch.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • OP, my parents & I are doing this:  My dad & I are doing to have our spotlight dance, just the two of us.  Then, FI & his mom are going to have a spotlight dance, just the two of them.  Then, after those two dances, we're going to open up the floor to everyone dancing - the song that opens it up to everyone is something my mom & I picked, so we'll start the dancing (just the two of us) and invite the guests to the floor.

If your mom agrees, maybe just pick a song with her - when the DJ plays it, you both will know it's time to dance with each other.  You'll still get to dance with your mom, but guests wouldn't have to sit and watch.
    Are you doing a slow song or fast song with your mother? I didn't know if after the two slow songs to get people up and dancing we should do a fast song? And the song i have picked out to dance with my mother is a slow song.
  • ^ It really isn't a bad idea to start dancing with a slow song.  Seriously, it's hard to jump right up after a big meal and do Shout or Turn down For What  ... :-)

Starting dancing with a slow songs encourages a full dance floor of women... and men!  
  • ^ Very good point I forgot to think that people will just have finished eating and it is probably better to start with a slow song to open the dance floor.

Thanks so much I would have never thought of that!!

• I'm doing the Father/Daughter and Mother/Son right after the first dance and then after dinner opening up the dance floor with a special song for me and my mom. That way it eases people into dancing again without attention wandering!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards