African American Weddings

Greeter/Door Person

Would it be tacky to have a "greeter" with a guest list welcoming and checking off invited guests to the wedding? FI and I are afraid there may be many uninvited guests show up, so we want to avoid a train wreck. My family is telling me it's kinda tacky, while his family is saying they think it will be necessary. What do you all think?

Re: Greeter/Door Person

• Tchavon1984Tchavon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I'm having someone for that same reason and the fact that we have to pay per person so we cant afford to have uninvited guest. As far as ppl thinking its tacky... who cares! whats more tacky is not having any food for an invited guest bcuz all the ones not invited at it all! Do what you think is best rich ppl do it all the time so it cant be that tacky....
  • This would seriously be amongst my top 3 splurges if I were to get married.   Cosignnodding @ Tchavon1984.  I would also tell my family that showing up somewhere you weren't invited, expecting to then be fed and liquored up for free on top of it, is tack-ierrrrr.     Since I'm pretty bitchy, I'd also want the same person to be taping it so I could see the faces of folk who know good n' damn well they hella wrong.

• Lol @sultryzulu. I hear ya girl!!! It just drives me crazy that there is an actually possibility that people we didn't invite will show up. Who does that?!?! I would never in my right mind show up to someone's wedding knowing good and well I didn't get an invitation. The nerves!!! I was trying to avoid guests feeling like they were entering a club of some sort, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do to avoid any crashers. SMH
  • @Tchavon1984 You are so right...who cares what people think! We are paying for the wedding ourselves and the thought of uninvited guests drinking and eating on our dime drives me crazy! People just don't get it, I swear!
  • clgammie said:
    Lol @sultryzulu. I hear ya girl!!! It just drives me crazy that there is an actually possibility that people we didn't invite will show up. Who does that?!?! I would never in my right mind show up to someone's wedding knowing good and well I didn't get an invitation. The nerves!!! I was trying to avoid guests feeling like they were entering a club of some sort, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do to avoid any crashers. SMH
    We do that.  Did you not hear the part about free food and liquor?  lol!!  

::cedricvoice:: I wish a guest would...
  • I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I think it's tacky. They're really less of a greeter than a bouncer. I guess in my mind most receptions have assigned seating. If you weren't assigned a seat you literally won't have a chair. To me, that eliminates the entire problem
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Giggles at J.    Ever been to an African or Caribbean wedding?  Lol.

I suppose the one hitch could be a reception where there is no seating chart and the menu is buffet. 

Out of curiosity, I've always wanted to know, how you have the person that you assign to do this tell the difference between guests who were uninvited and didn't rsvp so you didn't count em or folk who don't have any business being there at all because they were never on your list.    How does that work? Anybody?  Are you okay with invited non rsvp'ers attending?  Again, this is a question for any bridey

• African, Caribbean and Latino folks are notorious for this! lol Good questions- I'm curious to see other bridey's take on it. We are having a buffet style dinner and I was thinking of doing assigned tables, but not seats. Perhaps the "greeter" could have a list of ALL invited guests names and then assigned table numbers to the ones that actually RSVPd? That would eliminate having to make a table chart. The only thing is hoping guests remember their assigned table number.
  • clgammie said:
    African, Caribbean and Latino folks are notorious for this! lol Good questions- I'm curious to see other bridey's take on it. We are having a buffet style dinner and I was thinking of doing assigned tables, but not seats. Perhaps the "greeter" could have a list of ALL invited guests names and then assigned table numbers to the ones that actually RSVPd? That would eliminate having to make a table chart. The only thing is hoping guests remember their assigned table number.
    I'm stealing that idea, I love it.    Now but what you finna do bout the category of people who came but didn't call or write?  I know this group of people, I've asked a few wtf their philosophy is, when the bride's gone to so much damn trouble, you can't return an already stamped piece of paper or click something on her website.   Wait for it...Ready?  

1.  Well we're invited so she already counted us as yeses.
    2.  I don't need to return it, she knows we're coming
    3.  I got all the details, I read the invitation  (<-huh?)
    4.  I didn't know if we'd be able to make it until today

real conversations with real wedding guests.  if you've ever said numbers 2 or 4, kill yaself.

• Girrrrrl!!! Don't even get me started with those damn excuses. I might be liable to cuss a bish out if I got any of those thrown my way! I think once my RSVP deadline has reached, I will create a list with all those that I didn't hear back from and split that list up for my bridesmaids and I to call/text/FB/email/snail mail...whatever the case may be to get a damn answer. It's ridiculous that we would even have to hound people down just for a simple yes or no, but still again, you know how that goes. SMH.
  • My greeter is going to have a list of all invited guest that RSVP'd. I'm going to do my best to make sure ppl RSVP and if they dont... it's nobodys fault but their own.
  • lol!! Okay, I'm sorry, I got sidetracked, my question to ya'll is what are you deciding to do about guests that you invited but didn't RSVP, do they get turned away or let in with some stinktitude?
  • I guess they're going to get turned away. I put a date they need to RSVP by. If they dont by that date I will go out my way to call and see. If I get no response then we will assume you will npt be attending. Its not my fault at that point its yours. So be mad if u want its their own fault
  • Lol I've been to them and .... I still don't like 'em! Like I hate the pat down. one or two asked me to show ID, just rubbed me the wrong way
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • What!! Thats crazy. Its a wedding not an airport! Thats taking it too far. A first and last name should do.
  • @tchavon1984 That's my issue I guess. I feel like if you're inviting me here invite me. Who are these determined and bold people who dont see their names on seating charts and still sit in someones seat? and if its 1-2 people whats the big deal?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards