Getting in Shape

Weight Loss?

I didn't know it was so damn hard to loose weight for a wedding.
I'm currently stressing about it way to much. I'm wearing size 22 pants, and 2x shirt. I picked out my wedding dress but it's size 16 and I really want to make it down to that size to wear it. 

PLEASE ANY ADVICE YOU HAVE FOR ME, I'm willing to do anything right now i have over a year but I really want to make this happen. 

"Four years ago, I was just a guy who had a crush on a girl, who had a boyfriend. And I had to do the hardest thing that I've ever had to do"

Re: Weight Loss?

• I agree with you weight loss is a struggle. I have started by removing all sugars and carbs (breads, rice, pasta, and potatoes) and really sticking to veggies, meats, nuts, and a little fruit. Small meals and read as much as you possibly can on blogs you find on pinterest. Also maybe the Paleo diet will help also. Best of luck!!!! You can totally do it!!!
  • The easiest way to lose weight in my opinion is just to stick to whole, natural foods, exercise and eat smaller portions. I have always been a pretty normal size (4 my smallest and 10 my biggest) but I have noticed the older I get (Im 31) the harder it is for me to loose weight. I'd like to loose 35 lbs for my wedding (Sept 4th, 2015) and the best to approach it in my opinion is to exercise at least 3-4 days a week (cardio and weight training) and to eat healthy foods. It's important to cut out all of the processed foods, anything from a can, jar, box, frozen foods etc... All of these foods are loaded with junk your body doesn't need. I also barely eat out. I will eat at good restaurants but try never to eat fast food or at food chains. Stick to meats, veggies, fruits, nuts and whole grains. I cut out as much sugar and carbs as I can which helps.

You may want to try something like the paleo diet or whole30 to get started. This will help rid your body of sugar, toxins etc...

Good luck!!!

• jackannlujackannlu member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2014
    Here are some of my tips. I'm not a nutritionist, its just what worked for me:

- Cut out all unnecessary sugar, for me a big part of that was drinking only water. No more juices or sodas, even diet ones.

- Cut out all white carbs (bread, pasta, white potatoes, rice, etc.) and substitute with healthy carbs. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites. High in nutrients, low in cals, and it also can supply some sweetness that you may crave. Also, if you are going to eat carbs, aim for whole grain or multigrain options. So you can have whole grain pasta, multigrain bread, etc.

- Eat often, but smaller portions. The one time I successfully lost weight is when I was eating frequently, which for me was every 3-4 hours. Obviously it has to be healthy stuff. When people go on diets and starve themselves, its actually counterproductive because it slows down your metabolism.

- Eat lean protein. My go to proteins were chicken breast, shrimp, and fish. I love salmon, whish does have fat, but its good fat. Also sliced low sodium deli turkey is a great snack option. Have it with some cheese or some veggies, and its a great 'mini-meal.'

- Exercise! Even if it means walking 3-4 times a week. I don't know how active you are, but start small. Once walking 4x a week becomes easy, start jogging. And eventually, add some weights. People who try to lose weight often avoid lifting weights because they will 'bulk up.' I thought this way for many years. But weights build muscle, which speeds up your metabolism, and burns more calories at rest than fat does. And even though muscle weights more than fat, it is much leaner. Google 'muscle weighs more than fat' and look at the pictures, and you'll see what I mean.

- Keep healthy foods readily available. Ex) Put veggies, fruits, deli turkey, etc. in individual Ziploc bags already portioned out. That way when your hungry, you just have to open the fridge and its ready. Plus, they are good for on the go!

Hope this helps you out. And try not to stress out about it. Its not something that is going to happen quickly. And whether you get down to a size 16 or not, you are still going to be a bride on your wedding day and you are still going to marring your fiancé, which is what is most important after all!! :-) Good luck!

• Weight loss is REALLY hard! I don't mean it's impossible, but it takes hard work and commitment. You will have to decide if your weight loss goal is important enough to make some serious changes in your life. I highly recommend trying a food and activity tracker. I've used MyFitnessPal with success. You plug in how much you currently weigh and what you want to weigh and go from there. It's tough at first, just stick with it. Focus on your goal and realize that you probably have to seriously decrease calories and increase activity. You don't have to share the information with anyone, so be honest with your entries and yourself. Unfortunately weight loss is usually accomplished by a calorie deficit. This means that you have to eat less than you're using each day. How much less depends on how much you want to lose. There are of course ways to burn more calories: activity and building muscle. (Muscles burn more calories at rest than no muscles.) I agree with a lot of the suggestions to skip sugar (especially ALL non-water beverages) and substitute veggies for other foods. Start looking at ALL nutrition labels. When you suddenly realize that tiny candy bar or pastry is costing you hundreds of calories, it may be less enticing. Pre-prepare your food and start measuring so you know what you're really eating. Good luck and just jump in and give it a try!
  • I switched my diet to clean eating.  Eliminate the bad carbs as others have suggested.  Myfitnesspal is a great tool to keep track of your calorie intake.  I use a scale of 40% for carbs and protein and 20% fat, but I am also working out.  If you aren't working out, you'll have to adjust your macros.  The great thing about myfitnesspal is that based on your profile, it automatically sets your calorie and percentage goals for you.  Try to eliminate sugars, or use sugar in the raw or some sort of natural sugar.  Soda is a big thing to cut out if you haven't already.  I drink nothing but water and tea.

It also wouldn't hurt to add exercise into your routine, even if you just walk a few times a week, its better than nothing.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with a clean diet! Some of us have a harder time losing, though, even with clean eating. I was struggling, and even with a mostly clean diet couldn't lose and was always bloated and lacked any kind of energy (I also have a fracture in my spine so exercise is out of the question). My dear friend introduced me to my saving grace and I've been on my way since. I did a clean eating challenge with Arbonne products, which helped detox me of the toxins in my body, and identified a gluten intolerance I never knew I had. If you are a pinterest person, here's what I did, and fell in love with.  http://www.pinterest.com/pin/365565694728140657/ I've since finished the challenge, but it taught me how to eat and I'm still losing by following what I learned about 90% of the time and though I still can't work out, I'm finally feeling like I have a chance ;) Whatever you decide to follow, just make sure you follow it and keep yourself on track. We only see success when we are committed, we can't succeed if we're merely interested ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards