Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Wedding bands before wedding?

We are planning on taking our wedding pictures prior to the ceremony, so that we are able to enjoy the cocktail hour with our guests.  Is it wierd for us (my fiance especially) to wear our rings, even though we're not actually married.  I'm not superstitious but it seems a little wierd.  Any suggestions?

Re: Wedding bands before wedding?

• I personally wouldn't. It just seems weird to me. We're talking a lot of our group shots before the ceremony, and we'll take some more during the cocktail hour. That's when we'll be taking pictures with our rings on. 
  • My friend was just married in July.  They did a first look and all WP pics before the ceremony.  Neither my friend or her now H wore their wedding bands.  After the ceremony, they took another 15 mins or so of pics, just the two of them with their rings on.  Then they came to cocktail hour.
  • Yes, I think it's weird. we did our pictures first too and didn't wear I rings. We know we weren't married yet, so it would have been a little silly to pretend otherwise. We also had about 10 minutes of pictures taken after the ceremony.
  • We did all of our pictures before and wore our rings.
  • We did a first look and all the wedding party and family pictures before hand without our rings on.  Then we did some pictures after the ceremony, just us, with our rings on for about 15 minutes.  

It may not matter if you wear them anyway. I always had someone on my left and my arm was around their back or I had both hands holding my bouquet, so my left hand couldn't be seen.  My FI either had his left arm around someone, or the photographer had him put it in his pocket because it looked nicer than down at his side, so you couldn't see whether he had a ring on anyway.
  • We didn't wear ours because it would have been weird. You can't really tell anyway, due to various hand positioning in photos, distance from the camera, etc. We didn't have any close-up shots of our hands until after the ceremony.
  • We didn't wear ours because it would have been weird. You can't really tell anyway, due to various hand positioning in photos, distance from the camera, etc. We didn't have any close-up shots of our hands until after the ceremony.
    Yeah, I don't see how anyone would notice at all if you were or were not wearing wedding bands. Unless it's specifically a shot of the rings, I don't think I'd notice at all.
    this. We did most of the pictures before and a few after. The ones after had the hand shots. I can't really say I used any of those shots anyway. I know we used shots from after the wedding, but none where you could obviously see the rings.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Plus, I figured if anyone was all, "HEY Y U NO WEAR RING IN PICTURE?!?" I could just explain we did a bunch of shots before the wedding. It was really no big deal.
  • We did all our photos after the wedding, so we did have rings on, and you can't even see them in most photos. We didn't do any close up ring photos, either. We have a few where you can see one ring or the other, but I don't think any of our wedding photos show both of our rings at the same time. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Skip the rings for before photos, then do ring shots afterward if you want them.

• A first look is different from engagement photos is different from "wedding" photos.

So nah, I won't be wearing my rings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards