Wedding Reception Forum

Does everyone really save the top cake tier?

2»

Re: Does everyone really save the top cake tier?

• I find it interesting that so many of you say that you don't like freezer cake, but in many commercial bakeries they freeze the cakes prior to frosting (that way they can bake the cakes layers a couple of days in advance and keep it from going stale). So if you've had a bakery cake then chances are that it's been frozen. I mean, it's pretty rare for them to bake, cool, frost, and serve a cake the very same day.

We are planning on saving the top tier. My parents are driving up to our wedding venue, so we will likely have the bakery wrap it for us and my parents will drive it to their house and store it for us until we get back from our HM. I'm indifferent if we actually keep it for a full year though, and if we decide that we want cake 4 months in then so be it. The bakery that is making our cake it also a fantastic restaurant that we love, so I find it very likely that we will eat there 2-3 times in our first year of marriage anyway, so we can get Wedding Cake Part Duex whenever.
  • edited August 2014
    scribe95 said:
    It's a freezer - meant to store food. Why in the world would there be a food safety issue?

Of course a freezer could die but all the food would be ruined, not just the cake.  
    I don't recall, but I'll ask. I think it has something to do with your standard in-kitchen fridge/freezer combo not really being meant to freeze stuff effectively for that kind of long-term storage though. I mean, think about it. Stuff in your (the general, not specific your) freezer is usually used up well within a year, or at least in our freezer it is. It's not like it's an industrial blast-freezer. 

I dunno. He's in the industry and has been long-term. I'm not, unless two months as a McD's french-fry cook counts. I generally trust him when it comes to food safety. Plus, frozen cake isn't appealing to me. 

And yes, I know that bought cakes are often frozen. This is why I rarely buy cakes and instead spend the same amount of money on cakes out of this book. It was given to me a long time ago and I've pretty much destroyed it. There's enough dried cake batter in the pages to make a very motley (and also very gross) cake. 

ETA: This is also why cakes are special occurrences... I should really make a cake more often. It's been over a year since I made a cake. Good news: Making my favorite one(s???) tomorrow!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • At my 1st wedding I gave my top cake to the couple that was married the longest (my bf parents) last minute idea but you would have thought I gave then a million dollars they were so happy :)
  • Every bakery we spoke with offered a free cake on your one year anniversary, so there will be no saving cake. We will eat all the cake!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards