DIY Wedding Forum

Easy, Inexpensive and Adorable DIYS

I've been posting easy DIYS on my blog. Our wedding budget is smaller than most and I've worked really hard to stretch the money we do have to make a beautiful setting for our wedding day. Here are links to a few of my most recent DIY posts. I'm about to work on a post for today, so be sure to bookmark the page. All of us brides are in this together. I think it's important for us to help each other if we are able to. 

Easy, Cheap Chalkboard Alternative DIY- http://christopherandsarah.us/chalk-it-up/

Re: Easy, Inexpensive and Adorable DIYS

• edited August 2014
    I've been posting easy DIYS on my blog. Our wedding budget is smaller than most and I've worked really hard to stretch the money we do have to make a beautiful setting for our wedding day. Here are links to a few of my most recent DIY posts. I'm about to work on a post for today, so be sure to bookmark the page. All of us brides are in this together. I think it's important for us to help each other if we are able to. 

Easy, Cheap Chalkboard Alternative DIY- http://christopherandsarah.us/chalk-it-up/
    um...this is your first post,. 
  • I know. I just discovered the forum. I've been writing a blog for my friends and family to follow and someone suggested I share some of my projects with other brides. I'm sorry for wanting to share my ideas and help other brides that may be on a tight budget.  

I wasn't expecting such a negative welcome. It is certainly disappointing. :-(
  • It's generally better to become part of the community first and let people get to know you before you try to get everyone to read your blog.

A good start to that would be coming up with a more memorable username so people can remember who you are!

• Welcome to the board. I love all of your projects so far. Really digging on the copper mailbox! Also, would have never have thought to use a cheap Dollar Store platter for that sign! Genius! :) Keep going and sharing. I love seeing other peoples ideas and projects!

• edited September 2014

I know. I just discovered the forum. I've been writing a blog for my friends and family to follow and someone suggested I share some of my projects with other brides. I'm sorry for wanting to share my ideas and help other brides that may be on a tight budget.  

Don't let the first reply you received keep you from these forums.  I've felt that way before, but I try to find the good parts and ignore posts that I find unnecessarily curt.  I try to remember that we all have our own ways of communicating. :)
    Also, you can make your own chalkboard paint easily if you might want to try that. You can look on pinterest how. You mix something (grout?) with regular latex paint...
  • Thanks, ladies! I've been working on a few more projects this week. I'll post links soon. I don't have any bridesmaids and my mom died a few years ago. It helps me to have someone to bounce ideas off of.
  • I may have to use that dollar tree sign idea! I believe they come in gold too (I'm there too often since it's down the street!).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Plaster of Paris is mixed with latex paint. Can't say it works well, sorry. Valspar Aspire and Optimus both can work in flat. They don't erase as well, but more colors than traditional chalkboard paint.
  • I found some small rectangular chalkboards at the Dollar Tree this morning. They are about 6inx8in. I also found some display stands to prop them up (in the picture frame aisle). I made these two signs a few hours ago. I definitely need to go back for more.

• I know. I just discovered the forum. I've been writing a blog for my friends and family to follow and someone suggested I share some of my projects with other brides. I'm sorry for wanting to share my ideas and help other brides that may be on a tight budget.  

Don't let the first reply you received keep you from these forums.  I've felt that way before, but I try to find the good parts and ignore posts that I find unnecessarily curt.  I try to remember that we all have our own ways of communicating. :)
    Also, you can make your own chalkboard paint easily if you might want to try that. You can look on pinterest how. You mix something (grout?) with regular latex paint...
    This is one of those inaccurate Pinterest posts that get re pinned out of control, and won't work.
    Mixing plaster of Paris, non sanded grout, or calcium carbonate powder with latex or acrylic doesn't give you chalkboard paint, it gives you chalk paint. Two very different things.

Chalk paint is a super coverage, binding paint that requires little or no sanding to the surface you're applying it to. It adds great depth to the color, and produces a very durable finish that doesn't require varnishing, but can be simply waxed (in either clear or tinted wood waxes.)
    Super great for using on furniture. 
    It's a modern twist on a frugal old Parisian formula- every night when the house and building painters returned to their shops, they'd dump their leftover bits of paint and plaster into a communal vat for future use. It's also where we get the wonderful "French gray" color that's so popular right now.  Paint soup. Super durable. 

But chalk paint isn't chalkboard paint, and won't be erasable. You'll always have "ghosting," the lines left behind from your original designs. 
  • I'm also using postcards for my guestbook! I am collecting them in a vintage suitcase, but not sure how to present them. Your post says they will be in a basket? I'd like to spread mine out somehow without looking messy. Postcard racks and letter racks are turning up to be too expensive...
  • You could string some twine and use clothespins to attach the postcards. I'm making postcard garlands like that for our reception space. I painted the clothespins yesterday. I think it'll be cute.
  • I thought I'd post a link to my wedding pictures so you can see how it all came together. We had a small country wedding and were able to pull it off for $3,500. It was a great day full of family, friends, good food and drinks and great live music. 

• Looks like an awesome day! Congratulations! Love the DIY's and seeing them in action! 

• Thanks for sharing! I love the chalkboard paint ideas. I'd been thinking of making table numbers with chalkboard paint on some random fun found objects, similar to your Dollar Store platter. I'll have to post an update if/when I get some of them done!

I've also come across a bunch of fragments from old slate tiles at my venue that are leftover from when they re-did the roof a few years ago. The venue said I could have them for free (because they're basically trash). I think I'll have to incorporate these somehow.
  • Knottie69225743 I love you DIYs, but please tell me you didn't let go of all those balloons.

imageimage

• I love your ideas!  Great job on the roadside canvas!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards