Chit Chat

Going to the courthouse

My fiance and I decided last night that we would go to the courthouse to get married. A few months ago I brought this up to my father, and he was not too thrilled about the idea. We decided to do this because we simply can't afford to host everyone properly right now. All the people we want there are our parents and siblings, and in 5 or 10 years have a big anniversary party where we could host the way we would like.

So now, we have to figure out a date to do this. Also, after the courthouse I want to reserve a private room in a restaurant to eat and celebrate. I'm actually more excited about this plan than the ceremony and reception we were planning. So much less stress, and intimate just like I wanted :)

Re: Going to the courthouse

• Congrats!  First, call the courthouse and find out what their available times are-FI and are getting married next Friday at the courthouse, and we were lucky they could fit us in due to a cancellation.  Otherwise, the next available was late October (we booked this at the end of July).
  • smichek said:
    Congratulations! Don't stress out about pleasing the people who didn't like the courthouse idea...you're not marrying them! Your wedding day is about what you and FI want!
    Thank you! I know that my dad was not happy about it, but in the end he just wants his children to be happy, and that I am very much!
  • Congrats!  First, call the courthouse and find out what their available times are-FI and are getting married next Friday at the courthouse, and we were lucky they could fit us in due to a cancellation.  Otherwise, the next available was late October (we booked this at the end of July).
    Yeah, it's still going to be a few months so we have some time. Most likely in March or April.
  • You can still make a courthouse wedding beautiful. 

What I would do:
    -invite siblings and parents, try to do a 2:00pm ceremony and have cupcakes and punch after.  ($30)
    -find a snap happy friend and offer them $50 to take pictures ($50)
    -get a dress you love... I would try Rent the Runway. The first one is $25 off.  ($30ish)
    -get a bouquet from the grocery store and wrap it with ribbon. ($15)
    -Hopefully your FI has a suit, but maybe get a new coordinating tie. ($20)

In and our for less than a few hundred bucks without letting go of all of the traditional extras. 
  • It might not look like it based on the picture in my siggy, but we had a very simple wedding. We just chose to have it somewhere unique. We don't regret it for a second. The most important thing to us was our vows and commitment to each other and NOT the party.

• You can still make a courthouse wedding beautiful. 

What I would do:
    -invite siblings and parents, try to do a 2:00pm ceremony and have cupcakes and punch after.  ($30)
    -find a snap happy friend and offer them $50 to take pictures ($50)
    -get a dress you love... I would try Rent the Runway. The first one is $25 off.  ($30ish)
    -get a bouquet from the grocery store and wrap it with ribbon. ($15)
    -Hopefully your FI has a suit, but maybe get a new coordinating tie. ($20)

In and our for less than a few hundred bucks without letting go of all of the traditional extras. 
    Thank you so much for the suggestions!
  • It might not look like it based on the picture in my siggy, but we had a very simple wedding. We just chose to have it somewhere unique. We don't regret it for a second. The most important thing to us was our vows and commitment to each other and NOT the party.
    Yeah, I have a huge Mexican family, and I know the reception would be a blast, but I want to be able to pay for it and not worry. Plus, we need a house lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards