Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Tossing rice question

We are having our ceremony and reception at the same location.  Ceremony will be on a golf course, reception will be at the restaurant on site.  I've already gotten the OK from the venue to throw rice (Not regular rice...something called Hearts Of Rice, which is not harmful to birds).   I'm just not sure when to do it.

Weddings I've been to do it out in the parking lot as the couple leaves the church.  But we're not really leaving a church...we're walking up a small hill to our reception site.  So we have people do it during the recessional? Wait until the end of the reception?  Any suggestions?

Re: Tossing rice question

• Why not have little cones of rice ready for the guests to grab as they take their seats in the ceremony.  Have a little note on the cones saying something to the effect of "as the couple makes their way back down the aisle as H and W to toss the rice."

Or you could do a grand exit from your reception and have your guests throw it then.

• Why not have little cones of rice ready for the guests to grab as they take their seats in the ceremony.  Have a little note on the cones saying something to the effect of "as the couple makes their way back down the aisle as H and W to toss the rice."

Or you could do a grand exit from your reception and have your guests throw it then.
    This
  • MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    Rice being harmful is a myth. One reason a lot of places don't like it has to do with safety for people. It's easy to slip on. This is in no way helpful to your question, but I like Maggie's idea. Or you can buy tulle to put the rice it and tie a ribbon around it. Guests can untie it and throw the rice.
  • Like this, but with rice.
  • I've ben to some 40-50 weddings in my life.  Worked another 100 or more. 

Never once have I seen rice throw.     Is that weird?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Rice being harmful is a myth. One reason a lot of places don't like it has to do with safety for people. It's easy to slip on. This is in no way helpful to your question, but I like Maggie's idea. Or you can buy tulle to put the rice it and tie a ribbon around it. Guests can untie it and throw the rice.

Stuck in box: it's actually harmful to birds when uncooked, so that's not a myth. I work with birds full-time at a zoo.
  • Thanks for the advice.  I'm leaning towards the recessional....I have little tule bags, and making a tag for them should be easy.
  • What if you & groom exit down isle followed by wedding party. Have wedding party split up & stand on the sides of the end of the isle. While they do this, you go back around and dismiss each row of guests, greeting them as you go (this would act as your recessional line then). As guests exit the bridal party can guide them to add to the lines at the end of the isle and then after the last guest is dismissed you can go through down the middle of the lines of guests like you would if you were leaving a church & they can toss the rice.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards