October 2014 Weddings

Wedding? I've moved on to married life...

Who's with me? 
I'm having a really hard time concentrating on finishing plans for the wedding, because my head and my heart have moved on to post-wedding life. This weekend I went to Target and bought a bunch of stuff for our apartment. I should wait until after the wedding to see what gifts we get, but I just can't wait! I'm so excited to be married, I'm having a hard time waiting until it's official!
I've also stolen a bunch of clothes and stuff from my FI's apartment and put it in mine (because he's moving in with me). I can't wait until October to move him in! I want him with me now!!! Luckily he doesn't mind haha. 
I'm so ready for October 4th! It can't get here soon enough!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary

Re: Wedding? I've moved on to married life...

• I feel the same way! Yesterday he called USAA (his grandpa was in the Army) to see if we can add me early since my car insurance runs out a week before we get married. We're also talking about life changes once we're married. Like whats our next big move?
  • I have wanted a new kitchen floor for a long time... but that is an expense that has to wait until after the wedding.  So, my post-wedding list:
    • Get a new kitchen floor
    • New couch
    • Reclaim our guest room once all the wedding stuff is out of there
    • Start training/planning for next summer's RAGBRAI
    • Possibly get another dog
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In some ways my head has moved past the wedding but in other ways I'm still stuck very much in the now. We have sooo many things to do between now and October 18th and so many projects we'd like to do that will have to wait until later.

- Resod our backyard

- Tear down wallpaper in our kitchen, dining room, and foyer and then repaint.

- Take a couple's trip to Asheville with some close friends of ours

- Finish fencing in our backyard

- Redo the floors in our master bathroom

- Tear up the carpet in our hallway and living room and replace with wood floors

Ugh I can't even list everything.

• Yeah, we are planning on buying a house early next year so I'm kind of in a hurry for that (we already live together) and have started looking at houses online. 

Plus, we've decided to start trying this month for a baby, so it's like a whole new level of distraction, educating ourselves on how to get pregnant/pregnancy, etc. 

• I need to get my house ready for FI to move in still!!  I know our plan is after the wedding start saving up and buy a new house so we can truly combine - I'm really ready to start moving on to this step!!

Anniversary
  • We've been living together for a few months. I'll probably buy a new bookshelf and we may buy a new bed after the wedding.

I'm actually really excited for taxes though! Married filing jointly!
  • Right now what I am looking forward to most is our mini vacation after Thanksgiving. I mean I am excited for the wedding and the honeymoon, but  I have just spent so much time wrapped up in it, I am ready for it to be over. 
    Anniversary
  • bekt14bekt14 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2014
    I need to get my house ready for FI to move in still!!  I know our plan is after the wedding start saving up and buy a new house so we can truly combine - I'm really ready to start moving on to this step!!

Yes, this is what I'm doing right now. I managed to empty out half of my dresser for him and about a third of my closet. Luckily he doesn't have many clothes though. This is only a temporary place until my lease is up and we can buy a house next spring. I can't wait to build a new home together!
    Anniversary
  • @Jean0715 - I thought I was the only one excited about insurance...FI gets to go on my insurance plan which will finally give him vision benefits (and he's the one who wears contacts/glasses, not me), plus it will be a lot cheaper than what his company's plan offers.  I think he's looking forward to the $ for it to come out of my paycheck instead of his...he'll think he got a raise for getting married! 
  • My FI will be able to get on my benefits and we are going to be creating a joint savings account or we can create one now lol we are also planning on getting a queen size bed (the one we have now is a full size bed and it was from sams club! not comfortable!). We are also are talking about saving for a house in a couple of years (we live in a apartment now) and babies in a couple years! (I want a baby sooner but I will have to wait!) I don't know what I will do with my life after the wedding hahaha 
  • I think he's looking forward to the $ for it to come out of my paycheck instead of his...he'll think he got a raise for getting married! 
    Lucky! We are planning on having me be double-covers on both of our insurance (yay for costly medical treatments!) and either one of us will go up like 2 tax brackets (I got up if we file together and he goes up if we file separately).
  • @bekt14 - I think we're going to Ikea this weekend I think to pick out a wardrobe and dress for FI.  I want a couple other odds and ends too.  Unfortunately the closest Ikea is 2hrs away.

@krisclint05 - I cannot WAIT to get a bigger bed!  My house is tiny as are the bedrooms so a Full is all we get right now.  We just opened our joint checking account 2 weekends ago; we did not order checks and won't until my name is changed.

I keep asking FI for his insurance plan info to see if it's cheaper to maintain our own or both go on my plan or on his.

Anniversary
  • We've been planning out how the next year or so is going to go as well. We plan to buy the house we're renting (tiny little house) and tear up the kitchen and re-do it. Should only take us a couple years to pay off the house, because the owners basically want to be rid of it. Then we're going to live in it while we build outside of town (!!!) and then rent it out. We're talking about when to try for a baby and activities for the kids (I have a 3yo and 7yo from previous relationship) and all this other "grown up stuff"...It's crazy. A year ago, I wouldn't have imagined this.
  • I feel ya. We bought our house a year and a half ago and have been living together since.

There's things I want to do/get done around the house. I really want a new bed (we only have a full size), I want to rip up a carpet in an extra bedroom which I hope to turn into a nursery eventually. Kids will be at least a year after the wedding. I guess we'll see where we are October 2015 :). We need to plan our honeymoon for next april/may. We'll need to buy a 2nd car as well since we only have one at the moment. We commute by train to work so we haven't needed another but if we plan on having a baby we'll need to reevaluate that as well.

I know FH wants to build a bookshelf for our computer room and he needs to start hanging some pictures on our walls! They are so bare! lol

• krisclint05 We're also sleeping on a full sized bed right now. We'll have to wait until we get a house next spring to graduate to something bigger. My room just won't fit a bigger bed. It'll be cozy!

I'll be moving to his insurance. I can't wait! His is less than half the price of mine for about double the coverage. It'll be saving about $300/month just moving to his benefits. That's practically a car payment!

I'm also starting to make a mental list of all the things I'll need to change when I take his last name. Social security, drivers license, employee records, social media, utilities, bank.... there's a lot of stuff!
    Plus practicing my new signature ;)
    Anniversary
  • We are finally getting his stuff out of his house.  We have established households and have LOTS of extra stuff.   I have been asking no gifts, please!  He has antiques from his grandparents and I have all kinds of furniture and we have both raised 3 kids  a piece.  I am so ready to be done with moving and where to put all this stuff.  We have a pathway of things. 
  • hahaha @bekt14! I love that you're practicing your new signature. I was just doing a stack of bank statements at work and I was like "next month, I'll have a NEW NAME to write on them and confuse EVERYONE!"
  • I haven't used cursive since grade school, so I had to re-learn how to write the letters in his last name in cursive. It looks like 5 year-old handwriting right now...
    Anniversary
  • I write in a combination of cursive and print. Basically it's a big jumbled mess. His last name looks great all scribbled around
  • @kebebb - mine is a combo of cursive and printing as well.  His first name begins with an H, which I will be writing that part in printing...then the rest in cursive.  I'm going from a B to an H last name.  Ironically we have the same amount of letters and only one syllable for each of our last names, so it's not too much of an adjustment. 
  • We actually are celebrating our 8 year anniversary tomorrow, so in my head we've been married forever already.  We already live together, and I'm on his insurance so I'm not anticipating much change in post wedding life, except my last name and maybe our finances...but we'll see. lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think if you are an adult over 22 they shouldn't let you buy a full size. We thought we'd be fine when we moved in two years ago with a full size bed. Now when we stay in a hotel in a king, we are excited because we DON'T touch each other. Hehe. 
  • Is anyone else getting inundated with the "when are you having a baby?" stuff? My FI has a 9 yo and everyone, including the 9 yo is pushing for a baby. I'm like "oh hey, this baby maker is on a hiatus TYVM" Especially because we don't want to be cruel to Step son and run off on honeymoon right away. We are going next June, and sending him to have his own fun with his cousins and grandparents. 

• @AlePeezy2013 haha yeah, I get asked frequently when we're having a baby. Part of that's my fault though. I told fiance that if we're having one, it needs to happen in less than three years.
  • I've made it clear to everyone that we will NOT be having kids at least for 3-5 years. So, hopefully I won't get all sorts of "when are you getting pregnant?" questions right away. 
    Anniversary
  • Luckily no one is bugging me about having kids, probably because I'm older, maybe they think I'm beyond that?  Those closest to us know we are trying ASAP.
  • My parents are the only ones bugging us about babies so far, I suppose because everyone else either knows about all of the fertility issues I've had and assumes I've given up for good, or figures that I don't want any,

My boss has demanded a 12 month notice on getting pregnant, since I'll likely be stuck on bed rest haha 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards