Attire & Accessories Forum

to belt or not to belt?

I can't decide if I think I should wear a belt or sash of some sort with my dress. Here is the dress: http://watters.com/Product/WattersBrides/4068B/

My veil is lined with tiny crystals so there is going to be a little bit of sparkle without a belt.

What do you all think? 

Re: to belt or not to belt?

• I would definitely belt this, but only because I'm obsessed with bridal sashes, and I can't wear one with my dress. It depends on how the dress fits on you though. Have you tried some sashes on with it?
  • Def get a nice sash!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I vote no!!!!  I think the sleeves, sparkly veil, AND a belt would be way too accessorized and fussy for my taste. Simple is best in my book and the dress is gorgeous enough as is!
  • I think you have to try it on with and without a belt. When I was dress shopping I was so surprised by the difference a belt made. Sometimes it was better and sometimes it wasn't. Although, I am in the camp that a belt can really help define your waist.
  • I think it would look nice with a simple one to define the waist but not too over the top glitzy. I would have the back ends sewn right into the seam so that it doesn't make a bow and hang. I find that very messy looking, so I got mine sewed on and the ends cut.

• jenna8984 said:
    I think it would look nice with a simple one to define the waist but not too over the top glitzy. I would have the back ends sewn right into the seam so that it doesn't make a bow and hang. I find that very messy looking, so I got mine sewed on and the ends cut.

That was my main concern. I don't really want the bow in the back.

I would definitely belt this, but only because I'm obsessed with bridal sashes, and I can't wear one with my dress. It depends on how the dress fits on you though. Have you tried some sashes on with it?
    Unfortunately I can't try it on right now. My dress and I are not in the same location and won't be until I go in for final fittings, so I have to have a pretty solid game plan without really being able to see it. 
  • Here's a picture of it without the belt:

Personally, I prefer it with a belt like emanon321 posted.
  • I love Watters dresses! 

I think a belt or sash would look beautiful with this dress. 
  • I think it depends on your personal style and your body. If you leave it without a belt, it's beautiful & simple. If you had a sash, it glams it up more. If you have a short torso though, a sash may emphasize that because instead of the someone looking from top to bottom, they may be drawn straight to your middle, kinds of cutting you in half.
  • This is very much all about personal opinion.  When I tried my dress on without the sash, I wasn't super impressed, then the consultant I was working with put the sash on, and wow... it made it a totally different dress and I wouldn't dream of wearing it without it!  I would definitely try some on to see how you feel in the dress with the sash on.  Did you try any on in the store when you tried the dress on initially?
  • I'm leaning toward no belt, because it might detract from the sleeves. And ditto Erikan on nixing it if you have a short torso. With a longer torso and a little waist you want to emphasize, a skinny sparkly belt like the one in the oncewed picture would be nice.

• I think it really depends on how the dress looks on your body. I'm still trying to choose a dress, but I am leaning towards a belt for myself. I have an hourglass shape with very small waist to hip ratio and I felt like belts were really flattering, particularly wide belts. Maybe you can try on some other wedding dresses with similar shapes and see if you like how you look with a belt.
  • I'm personally not crazy about belts in general but agree they help some dresses. In this case, though, I think a belt would be more distracting. If you feel torn, I'd skip the belt. 
  • Can you buy a returnable belt, and bring it with you to your final fittings? Then either have it sewn on there if you decide you love it, or return it if you like it better without.

Personally, I like it much better without the belt. I think the belt kinda ruins the simple, classy look of the lace gown. 
  • I like it better with the belt
  • I would ask yourself two questions:

1) how much sparkle do you want? Between your veil and any jewelry/other accessories, do you have enough for your personal style? If not, you might consider a belt.
    2) What's your body type? If you want to emphasize your waist, you might consider a sparkly belt. If not, be aware that a blinged out belt will lead people's eyes to your mid-section.

If you go with one, I would do a skinny one. JMHO, I'm a little over the thick, blingy ones.
    *********************************************************************************

• I vote no belt.  The dress really does not need it.

• I love the ones posted with the belt!  It adds a little more definition to the dress.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards