Registry and Gift Forum

Bridesmaid Gifts

Hi Ladies!

What are you all getting for your bridesmaids? As of now, I am paying for all of the girls (5 bridesmaids) to get their hair done on the day of the wedding ($100 each) and have a budget of about $100-$125 for additional gifts. I would love to hear your ideas. I know the main suggestion is to buy as if you were buying a birthday gift, but looking for other ideas as well.

Thank you!

Re: Bridesmaid Gifts

• I mentioned this on another thread, but I'm getting one a gift card for her favorite tattoo artist. She usually only books sessions around getting her tax return back, and her birthday. That way she can either get more work done whenever she feels like it or she can combine it with another session she's saved up for.

My other friend has been coveting and low-key saving up for this really nice Tiffany leather handbag, so I'm getting her a gift card from Tiffany to help her make the 'dream' bag come true.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Tell us their personalities and interests and we'd probably be much more helpful.
  • @suem31  your gift budget sounds very generous!  Just FYI, the hair doesn't count as a gift since it is your wedding. Yes, it is pampering and will probably be fun, but that doesn't count as a gift to them since it is for your wedding.  But I think you have a great budget to work with and shouldn't have trouble finding great gifts.  Like PP said, give us more info and we can point you in the right direction. 
  • We all live in the outskirts of NYC, with some who actually work in Manhattan. With that said, fashion is important to all. I was thinking about Kate Spade cosmetic cases and or wristlets. The website is having a flash sale and you can get some of these items for around $30.

3 of the girls are mothers to young children (under 4 years old) and the other 2 are married and probably having children within the next 2-3 years I would say. I don't know if that helps, but basically we are all out of the "party" phase in our lives.

I don't know if this helps at all, but thank you for your input so far! :)

• I like the idea of the Kate Spade wristlets. In addition to that, you could personalize it by getting each of them a gift card to their favorite store - so it's not like everyone's getting the exact same gift.
    *********************************************************************************

• suem31 said:

We all live in the outskirts of NYC, with some who actually work in Manhattan. With that said, fashion is important to all. I was thinking about Kate Spade cosmetic cases and or wristlets. The website is having a flash sale and you can get some of these items for around $30.

3 of the girls are mothers to young children (under 4 years old) and the other 2 are married and probably having children within the next 2-3 years I would say. I don't know if that helps, but basically we are all out of the "party" phase in our lives.

I don't know if this helps at all, but thank you for your input so far! :)

I have an almost two-year-old.  A wristlet isn't going to cut it for me.  I think Kate Spade is awesome and I'd feel horrible that I didn't really have a use for it.  I'd probably get more mileage out of the cosmetics case.  I'm usually not pro cosmetic cases as gifts because I'd been using the same one for years (okay over a decade) but I just threw it out and again…..Kate Spade.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know I'm not in the norm here, but I didn't get my girls major gifts - but i did make sure that no one had to spend money to be in my wedding.  I bought their dresses and paid for hair and makeup if they wanted it done, their hotel room on the wedding night if they needed it, they wore whatever shoes they wanted and I got them all matching earrings and wrote them each a nice letter about how much it means to me that we are friends and that they are part of my day.  

I did all that because I think it really stinks to get excited about being a bridesmaid and then have to spend so much money to buy a dress, accessories, etc you didn't get to pick on top of travel, hotel, and gifts.  I have been in weddings before that were so expensive to be a part of, it didn't really feel like an honor.  

Like I said, I know this isn't typical - but it worked for us!

• ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2014
    I got them each a cotton floral-print robe (I know how unpopular those are here, but they weren't monogrammed or anything!) and a piece of jewelry unique to them and not the wedding (infinity bracelet for my MOH, starfish earrings for one, an elephant necklace for the 3rd). Also for the two bridesmaids a gift card to their favorite store and for my sister/MOH I got her a michael kors phone wallet case thing from Apple.

I also paid for hair and makeup.
    Anniversary
  • I got my bridesmaids a tote bag with bridesmaid on it, a hanger to hang their dress with their name on it, then I got them each a diamond candle. I think thats enough, afterall it is supposed to be little thank-yous! =]
  • I got my bridesmaids a tote bag with bridesmaid on it, a hanger to hang their dress with their name on it, then I got them each a diamond candle. I think thats enough, afterall it is supposed to be little thank-yous! =]
    I am honestly not trying to be ugly or snarky here, but these are very "Pinterest" gifts and don't sound very specific at all.  The candle is cool, but the other two items are directly related to being in YOUR wedding, and the gifts are supposed to be about THEM.  
  • Great ideas everyone; thank you!
  • I was thinking about getting them each a Brighton charm bracelet and putting a couple personally specific charms to get them started.
  • I have 3 bridesmaids and I got them a kate spade bracelet that has a skinny bow. It's a simple classic looking bracelet that I can see them wearing in the future and a cute way to thank them for helping me tie the knot.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am giving a bottle of wine that they will like (some red, some sweet depending on the girl's preference) and tied around will be 2 pandora charms for their bracelets (they all have them). One charm is specific to their role in the wedding and one charm relates to our friendship/ relationship and something we do together. So yes, one of the charms is specifically related to being in MY wedding... but thats what their other charms are representative of, life events, so I think they will all love them and add them to their bracelets. I'm the weird one who doesn't do that... but I have shot glasses that I collect instead LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cafarrie said:
    I know I'm not in the norm here, but I didn't get my girls major gifts - but i did make sure that no one had to spend money to be in my wedding.  I bought their dresses and paid for hair and makeup if they wanted it done, their hotel room on the wedding night if they needed it, they wore whatever shoes they wanted and I got them all matching earrings and wrote them each a nice letter about how much it means to me that we are friends and that they are part of my day.  

I did all that because I think it really stinks to get excited about being a bridesmaid and then have to spend so much money to buy a dress, accessories, etc you didn't get to pick on top of travel, hotel, and gifts.  I have been in weddings before that were so expensive to be a part of, it didn't really feel like an honor.  

Like I said, I know this isn't typical - but it worked for us!

Honestly, I'd much rather have someone take care of all of those expenses than a trinket or something bridesmaidy. That would be an amazing gift!  

Since my BM's chose their own dresses in their own budgets (one got a $140 dress, the other $70), I did get them each a gift.  They each got a different Kate Spade makeup bag with goodies for the day (sf red bull, kind bar, tissues, aleve, vodka nip, etc). One is an actor and loves makeup, so I also got her a shade of lipstick from Sephora that she loves to borrow from me.  My other BM travels a lot for work, so I got her a Starbucks gift card, too.    

FI's GM are all coming from OOT, so he is paying for their tux rental and getting them each a small bottle of their favorite liquor.  They were thrilled that it was their gift!
  • my bridesmaids are so different in taste! I am thinking about 100 spa certificate and robes with their names
  • My MOH is crazy into Precious Moments stuff, so that's definitely going to play into my decision for her gift.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I got them bags with a few personalized things, but I think my favorite thing is the letters I wrote. I wrote everyone a letter telling them how important they are to me, my favorite memories of us together, and just a big thanks for being a part of my day. It took me awhile because I was getting a little misty doing each one, but I'm excited about it.
  • I got them all Coach bags but they were all different based on each girl's taste.
  • Klager07 said:
    my bridesmaids are so different in taste! I am thinking about 100 spa certificate and robes with their names
    I'd forget this.  Many people do not like to receive robes as gifts, especially with their names on them.  It is just too personal an item, and many people just don't like monogrammed gifts even if they're not robes or lingerie.
  • Good ideas! All of my BMs love wine, so I was going to get a bottle of their favorite one. After reading this thread I like the idea of gift cards to fave store/restaurant. What would be an acceptable amount for each girl? I know it probably depends on budget but I'm wondering if there's an amount some of you would consider "too low"...? Is that a thing? I don't even know.
  • Good ideas! All of my BMs love wine, so I was going to get a bottle of their favorite one. After reading this thread I like the idea of gift cards to fave store/restaurant. What would be an acceptable amount for each girl? I know it probably depends on budget but I'm wondering if there's an amount some of you would consider "too low"...? Is that a thing? I don't even know.
    Of  course you have to keep budget in mind, but maybe think about what you (or she) would typically spend at that store/restaurant.  For a restaurant, maybe enough to have a meal with maybe a glass of wine and an appetizer or dessert?  For a store, maybe enough to buy a splurge item.  Nobody is going to expect "shopping spree" amounts, but I get what you are saying, because $5 wouldn't go far at somewhere like Sephora.
  • I ordered Swarovski earrings for them all... they can be worn for the wedding (not telling them they have to), and then also after, as well.. they are definitely dressy, but could be date night, they aren't crown jewels or anything.... After reading some of the posts, should I be second guessing this? They could easily return them, but that's not really the point, is it? 
    There is nothing really personal about these gifts, but they girls vary quite a bit, and one is my 14 year old Bonus daughter to be, so there is very little in the way of uniformity of gifts... Should I hav edone something very personal to each girl?

They are very nice earrings, but now I am second guessing everything, as I am 3 weeks out... 

• I ordered Swarovski earrings for them all... they can be worn for the wedding (not telling them they have to), and then also after, as well.. they are definitely dressy, but could be date night, they aren't crown jewels or anything.... After reading some of the posts, should I be second guessing this? They could easily return them, but that's not really the point, is it? 

There is nothing really personal about these gifts, but they girls vary quite a bit, and one is my 14 year old Bonus daughter to be, so there is very little in the way of uniformity of gifts... Should I hav edone something very personal to each girl?

They are very nice earrings, but now I am second guessing everything, as I am 3 weeks out... 

I wouldn't worry too much about this. As long as they are all jewelry-wearers that is a really nice gift and I'm sure they will love it. If you have time, you could maybe add something small that is personal to them, even if it's just a gift card to someplace they really like.
  • edited October 2014
    gunnydiver said: I ordered Swarovski earrings for them all... they can be worn for the wedding (not telling them they have to), and then also after, as well.. they are definitely dressy, but could be date night, they aren't crown jewels or anything.... After reading some of the posts, should I be second guessing this? They could easily return them, but that's not really the point, is it? There is nothing really personal about these gifts, but they girls vary quite a bit, and one is my 14 year old Bonus daughter to be, so there is very little in the way of uniformity of gifts... Should I hav edone something very personal to each girl?

edit: broken box

If these earrings are not something each girl would individually wear and enjoy wearing, I would go ahead and return them now and use the money to get something different but of equal value for each of them.
  • I'm giving my bridesmaids each a robe (yes, I know they're unpopular here, but I'm not really counting them as "gifts" - more like cute things for us while we're getting ready), personalized tumblers, Tiffany's necklaces (I checked to make sure nobody already had them, and that everyone would like thir necklace), a cosmetics bag with various things in it, and a gift card to a restaurant they like wherever they live.

My mom also got them each their bridesmaids dress to help make sure they don't spend too much on my wedding.  Most of them already have to fly into DC for my wedding - I don't want them spending much more money than that!

• I'm getting my girls matching gifts. A water bottle the says bridesmaid or maid of honor, a string of pearls to wear for the wedding and to have after, what girl can't use a string of pearls... pearlsonly.com has strands for a decent price, probably a scented lotion since we all love bath and body works and tattoo sunscreen as we all have tattoos. And then they will each get a bridesmaid shirt to wear out for our event, they decided they want them to say "I'm not tying the knot, so buy me a shot". Then I plan to write a small note to go with. I have a budget of $100 per girl.
  • sdawsonca said:
    I'm getting my girls matching gifts. A water bottle the says bridesmaid or maid of honor, a string of pearls to wear for the wedding and to have after, what girl can't use a string of pearls... pearlsonly.com has strands for a decent price, probably a scented lotion since we all love bath and body works and tattoo sunscreen as we all have tattoos. And then they will each get a bridesmaid shirt to wear out for our event, they decided they want them to say "I'm not tying the knot, so buy me a shot". Then I plan to write a small note to go with. I have a budget of $100 per girl.
    I always like a good water bottle.  But if it says Bridesmaid on it, it'll probably be tossed in the trunk as an emergency water.  

I don't wear necklaces.  Sure, I'll wear the pearls for your wedding because you want me to, but I'll never wear them again.  I just don't wear necklaces.

I love scented lotions.  But my FH is sensitive to many smells.  If you chose one for me that wasn't one of his approved 3 scents, I'd have to donate it or otherwise get it out of my house.

Yeah, tattoo sunscreen is kinda nice.  But regular sunscreen works for tattoos too.

And I'll wear that Bridesmaid shirt once to the party, then it'd become my painting shirt.

So, basically, of all the things you've given me, only the water bottle that I'm storing in my trunk and that tattoo sunscreen is really going to be doing me any good at all.  So, you're spending $100 dollars on me for me to have an occasional drink of water and a summer's worth of sunblock.  That seems worth it.

You know what I'd love?  A couple bombers of local craft beer, a couple pilsner glasses, and a gift card to a fancy-ish or new local restaurant.  You know what my sister would love?  A bottle of red wine, a wine stopper, and a gift card to her favorite sushi place.  You know what my BFF would love?  Heirloom tomato seeds, gardening gloves, and a gift card to the local sustainable or vegan restaurant.
  • sdawsonca said:
    I'm getting my girls matching gifts. A water bottle the says bridesmaid or maid of honor, a string of pearls to wear for the wedding and to have after, what girl can't use a string of pearls... pearlsonly.com has strands for a decent price, probably a scented lotion since we all love bath and body works and tattoo sunscreen as we all have tattoos. And then they will each get a bridesmaid shirt to wear out for our event, they decided they want them to say "I'm not tying the knot, so buy me a shot". Then I plan to write a small note to go with. I have a budget of $100 per girl.
    SITB: Honestly, it doesn't seem like much thought is going into the gifts as every girl is getting an identical gift. If you're not going to take the time to shop for each girl individually, then you're better off just getting them a gift card to their favorite store along with a handwritten note. Nobody wants things with "bridesmaid" written on them. Sorry.
  • I am thinking of a monogrammed clutch that they can use on the day of the wedding as well as afterwards (I've been searching etsy!) I like the idea of something that can be used on the wedding day but is not wedding-specific (like a clutch, jewelry, pretty robe, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards