Wedding Reception Forum

No music okay?

edited September 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
Hi I'm new to this wedding planning thing and have soo many questions! What do you do about music when it comes to walking down the aisle if the ceremony is outdoors. It will be just me walking alone and I will probably be nervous. Have anyone done an outside ceremony? If so did you have any type of music to announce the bride was coming? If it was only you and no bridesmaids how did you let the guests know it was time. Thanks.

Re: No music okay?

• Hi!

What if you had your officiant announce you? I have been to outdoor ceremonies and they had music.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Are you not having music because you don't want music or because you just can't figure out the logistics of having music outdoors?

If it's logistics:
    My one friend hired her friend as DJ and the ceremony took place next to the reception space (both outdoors), so they had rented speakers as part of the DJ set up and an iPod playing music as people took their seats, with the DJ queuing up the appropriate song as she took to the head of the aisle.

Another friend hired a guitarist she knows from church and walked down to the acoustic guitar playing.

If it's you don't want it:
    I'd maybe reconsider and go with finding a guitarist or violinist to play if you really are that nervous/anxious.  It's not even a matter of "how will the guests know?" cause they'll figure it out once all the people up front are in place and looking expectantly back at you taking your spot at the beginning of the aisle, but more that I think not having the ambient noise that the music will provide will likely just amplify your nervousness of walking down the aisle, particularly alone.
  • We are having an outdoor ceremony as well :) Our DJ threw in ceremony music with our reception package. He has 2 speakers and a mic that he will set up prior to guests arriving and will be in charge of our ceremony music/sound. If you are having a DJ for the reception you could ask them if they could provide ceremony sound and how much extra it would be. Our DJ package was $750 for the reception plus an additional $150 for ceremony set up but since we are ending our reception at 10pm and the ceremony and reception are at the same location he threw in the ceremony services for free. So make sure to ask what deals they can get you and if something is out of your budget :) As far as knowing when guests should stand, you could have your officiant ask for everyone to rise or you could even have your family walk in and take their seats before you to music. If you really don't want anyone else to walk down the aisle, have your FI come in from the side and stand with the officiant. Everyone will understand the wedding is starting and that you will be coming in next.
  • edited September 2014
    I just couldn't figure out the logistics of it I guess. I wont have a DJ because we are having an intimate ceremony with only about 40 ppl. Then we will have dinner at the same venue. It will be a late ceremony in a place with views of the NY skyline and will sit by a fire pit and launch area for drinks afterwards. My fiance and I do not wish to have a big dancing party. So I think I will go with your suggestion and find a violinist or maybe a pianist (we know 2) and see if that will work. Thank you. I will probably be posting more since I have no idea :)  
  • When the MOH reaches the front and looks back toward the entrance, most people will turn to look. At the same time, the music changes, which cues them to stand. It's pretty much a conditioned response in anyone who's been to enough weddings. :) The second the music changes, I'm up and out of my chair and standing on my tiptoes so I can see the bride.
  • I just couldn't figure out the logistics of it I guess. I wont have a DJ because we are having an intimate ceremony with only about 40 ppl. Then we will have dinner at the same venue. It will be a late ceremony in a place with views of the NY skyline and will sit by a fire pit and launch area for drinks afterwards. My fiance and I do not wish to have a big dancing party. So I think I will go with your suggestion and find a violinist or maybe a pianist (we know 2) and see if that will work. Thank you. I will probably be posting more since I have no idea :)  
    Your wedding sounds beautiful!!  Sounds so romantic and fantastically intimate :D  I love the idea of using a musicians who are close friends :)  
  • Thank you! I'm aiming for a romantic atmosphere :) I can't wait!
  • We didn't have any music for our ceremony. It was just the two of us walking down the aisle, so it wasn't worth it to me to figure out the logistics or pay for a musician. The only issue is that people didn't know to turn around, but that was cool by me (no officiant to announce it). 
  • I had a string quartet at my wedding.  They were absolutely beautiful.  They can play anything you want--I didn't want the traditional "here comes the bride" music, so I used the Feather Song from Forest Gump.
  • Thanks for your replies!
  • Try a music school, a music department at a college. There are students eager for the experience and a few bucks. Violin, guitar, flute, they have it all.

Yes, definitely pay them!

• We're not having a bridal party, but our families will still enter and take their seats prior to me walking down the aisle. I feel like this give me more of a set up, so people know it's coming!
  • We got married outside. We had our DJ set up speakers and play certain music. We also had a wireless mic for our officiant and readers. I would strongly recommend a mic because there's nothing worse than sitting at an outdoor ceremony where you can't hear anything. 

We had electrical onsite. If you don't, you can rent a generator. The rental company should have super long extension cords so that you can put the generator way back, preferably behind some things (they're loud). They also sell noise shields for generators.
    *********************************************************************************

• Our officiant is providing the audio equipment. We needed the microphone anyway so everyone can hear our vows (210 guests), and he can plug an iPod into it for the music. His wife will be switching between the songs for us.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards