Chit Chat

Stupid Crock Pot question...

So I got a crock pot at my shower but have yet to use it.

I've been finding a bunch of recipes online that look delish and would really make my life easier.

I was wondering, can you put frozen boneless chicken breasts in the crock pot?  I used my dear friend google and the answers are all over the place.

Clearly I think you ladies are smarter.

Oh and if you have a yummy recipe please share!

TIA
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Stupid Crock Pot question...

• Yes, you can put frozen stuff in the crock pot.  You will need to cook it longer and/or at a higher temperature...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I love, love, love the crockpot. I do a lot of soups in it. . . . minestrone, beef stew, etc. I can't wait for cold weather for crock potting!!!!!
  • Yup, you're fine.  Too lazy to share a recipe right now, but frozen schmozen.
  • I've done it. I'd avoid putting big chunks of frozen things but if you break them apart it should be fine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have.. my crock pot still lives! 
    Anniversary
  • edited September 2014
    Pulled pork in mine right now: super easy Pork loin, Sweet onions, 1 liter of root beer,... 4 hours on low, drain the liquid use a fork to pull pork and add your favorite BBQ sauce!! Edit: paragraphs don't exist here.
  • I do @charlottesmom0626 recipe for pulled pork all the time.  I also make my own Jack Daniels BBQ sauce.  Top them with cole slaw.  Perfect!

Oh girl, share that Jack recipe PLEASE. I found one and it was so complicated I just went to TGI Fridays
  • So I've read you are not supposed to put frozen stuff in there for food safety reasons but I have and we are all still alive.
  • I always put frozen chicken breasts in mine. Cooked on low they take about 9-10 hours to cook. And taste fantastic.
  • Sidenote: did you know that you can put frozen bread into the toaster and it magically becomes toast? I recently learned this and since I eat gluten free bread which is often frozen, this makes me very happy.
  • I have done it! Like another PP said I just put it on low and it takes a long time.
    Tastes awesome. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    So we make this almost weekly- we're obsessed with it. 6 boneless pork chops. 2 cans cream of chicken. 2 packets hidden valley ranch seasoning. 1 small can chicken broth. Cook on high for 2 hours. Serve over egg noodles. This one is also pretty damn good. 3-4 chicken breasts (thawed). Half bottle Sweet Baby Ray's bbq, 1 jar orange marmalade. High for 4 hours or low for 7 hours. Eat as is or shred and put on sandwiches. WTF it won't save my paragraphs sorry

• Yep we've done it approximately a billion times. We like 4 frozen breasts, a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and either a can of chipotle seasoned diced tomatoes or 2 cups of salsa. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken, mix it up, put in tacos.

• I wouldn't know.  FI is an electrician from a family of electricians, and he won't let me use the crockpot unless I'm home, which takes all the fun out of it.

Plus, if I try to do it while I'm home, I just CANNOT resist opening the lid and stirring it like a pot...I don't think that's how they're supposed to work :(

• Senecaf said:
    So I've read you are not supposed to put frozen stuff in there for food safety reasons but I have and we are all still alive.
    Exactly! I figured people had to use frozen meats.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @charlottesmom0626 - This is the best recipe I've come across so far.  I've found a few other ones that I haven't tried out yet tho.

Jack Daniels BBQ sauce
    1 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup Jack Daniel's whiskey
    1/4 cup molasses
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tbsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed and minced

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

I can't wait to try this!!! I love that sauce!!!! Mmmmm
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lurkergirl hahaha that's funny! Same over here....we live in a 50's house. But I had the entire electrical replaced in 2011 and FI still won't let me set the automatic oven to kick on during the day. He used to be a fireman and is way too paranoid about it. 

• I actually work at a nuclear power plant and every 18 Months we go into a maintenance outage and I start working 12 hour night shifts for a bit.  FI and I were both working these shifts the last time around, and on my transition night I actually pre-made, and by that I mean I got all ingredients into Freezer bags in the freezer, a ton of "crock pot meals".  We would come home at 7 am, put a meal of choice in the crock pot, it would cook while we were sleeping, and be ready to eat or take to work when we woke up at about 330 pm.  I LOVE MY CROCK POT haha.  I'm also a fan of doing either chicken breasts or pork with some diced tomatoes and/or salsa and shredding for tacos.
  • Yep, I do frozen stuff quite a bit.

• Thanks for your help ladies!  Can't wait to start using it!

I definitely think it's going to be a lifesaver and I'll wonder why i didn't start doing this sooner.

PS-Keep the dinner ideas coming.  It's going to be a long fall/winter :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Another vote for yes. 

I also love to do pulled pork in mine. Pork butt or shoulder and root beer. It comes out so good. 
  • I make root beer ribs regularly. Put in your ribs of choice, cover with root beer or any cola soft drink and cook on low for 8 hours. During the last hour, drain and cover with bbq sauce. Yum!
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yep we've done it approximately a billion times. We like 4 frozen breasts, a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and either a can of chipotle seasoned diced tomatoes or 2 cups of salsa. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken, mix it up, put in tacos.
    Um...I totally making this. This is simple enough that I shouldn't fuck it up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards