Snarky Brides

The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

• FI's cousin's wedding was this past weekend, and it was a full on Pinterest burlap-and-lace-rustic wedding. Hay bales with crooked wooden direction signs, programs tied with twine, big framed chalkboards with cutesy poems about love, mason jar candle holders wrapped in burlap and lace on every reception and cocktail table AND lining the walk from the ceremony to the reception (why? it was the middle of the afternoon), burlap runners and banners on the head table, and (la piece de resistance) a huge burlap backdrop for their photo booth.

Just...so much nope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• FI's cousin's wedding was this past weekend, and it was a full on Pinterest burlap-and-lace-rustic wedding. Hay bales with crooked wooden direction signs, programs tied with twine, big framed chalkboards with cutesy poems about love, mason jar candle holders wrapped in burlap and lace on every reception and cocktail table AND lining the walk from the ceremony to the reception (why? it was the middle of the afternoon), burlap runners and banners on the head table, and (la piece de resistance) a huge burlap backdrop for their photo booth.

Just...so much nope.

UM I was helping my cousin pintrest bride (everything was etiquette okay, mostly) a few months ago. I was helping her to set up decorations because that's what we do in my family. She kept telling us we were doing the decorating all wrong and it was getting really obnoxious. I was drilling the sign together and I knew they were supposed to be crooked because of pintrest, but I put them all on straight. LOLOLOLOLOLOL. She didn't see it until she was ready to walk down the isle. 

She was so mad. She also realized it didn't ruin her wedding. 

I'm a really bad person.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @larrygaga - 3 of the 4 signs were charmingly crooked…I wonder who got chewed out for that terrible mistake!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The bridesmaid proposals have officially jumped the shark.
    Bridesmaid proposals and those weird gifts to ask them are so strange. Like who can really say no with a clear conscious after that? They are very thoughtful, but it's better to just make their thank-you gift extra amazing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I feel like I'm weird cause I just asked without any theatrics. I'm part of a local group for wedding planning on facebook and people are always asking for creative ideas for asking bridesmaids and groomsmen. Just ask...its not hard.
  • edited September 2014
    In case you didn't have enough burlap... there's now "burlap look" paper lanterns (link)

• I asked on
    The bridesmaid proposals have officially jumped the shark.
    I feel like I'm weird cause I just asked without any theatrics. I'm part of a local group for wedding planning on facebook and people are always asking for creative ideas for asking bridesmaids and groomsmen. Just ask...its not hard.
    I asked my MOH when I told her I was engaged. Through text, no less.

Me: We're engaged!
    Her: NO WAY! CONGRATS!
    Me: I know! Squee! You know you're my maid of honor, right?
    Her: Awwww. I'm touched. Really? Of course! I can't wait to help plan stuff!
    Me: Wine and a wedding show marathon tomorrow night?
    Her: Definitely!

I seriously doubt she felt jilted or whined about my "text proposal".
    I asked my MOH in person but asked my other bridesmaid through facebook message lol. I don't get to see her very often in person and we're not phone people.
  • I asked on

I asked my MOH in person but asked my other bridesmaid through facebook message lol. I don't get to see her very often in person and we're not phone people.
    I was the same way.  My one BM lives 2 hours away so I spoke to her via facebook.  The other two were in person over 2 separate, casual dinners.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I asked on

I had to do this too!  She was traveling on a remote island and only got online to check fb a couple times a week.  No phone or text, and we aren't emailers.  It was actually awesome because in her reply she told me that she had just gotten engaged and they weren't telling anyone until they returned.  So we squeed about weddings and getting to go through the planning together.

• wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    RIDICULOUSLY long list of MOH duties
  • RIDICULOUSLY long list of MOH duties
    Um, what the fuck?!

I am totally going to hand this to my 13-year-old sister MOH and tell her to get to work.

• edited September 2014
    bunni727 said:
    I don't have a problem with any of that, since it is just stylistic stuff that doesn't impact guests comfort at all.

I have a problem with all the BM duties lists, who pays for what lists, have-guests-address-their-own-thankyou, and that kind of thing.

Oh, and i definitely disagree with the first one, Mumford and Sons is probably my favorite band :)
    Bridesmaids' duties and who "traditionally" pays for what are standard and are in probably every planning book you'll ever read, so it makes sense. I gave my bridesmaids like 5 duties though--attend shower, buy dress (I'm altering them for free), attend rehearsal, attend wedding. Guests addressing their own thank you cards, however, is super tacky.

I am SO OVER the "shabby chic"/"rustic"/"vintage" thing with mason jars, burlap, chevron, and "cutesy" chalkboard signs. I've given up finding anything cool on Etsy because that's all that's there now. It's a fine style, but everyone's doing it. Boring.

I also agree with gray and yellow, as well as Tiffany Blue. I love blue, but Tiffany Blue wouldn't even make my top 10 shades of blue. It's ugly.

When somewhere it says "Let them eat cake" supposedly a Marie Antoinette quote about telling her people to "eat cake" instead of bread when they're starving, and there's no food. That sure says WEDDING right there!

See-through P'nina Tornai gowns are the WORST.  Yes, I'd love to look like I'm wearing oversized lingerie for my wedding in front of my parents and grandparents.

Photos: Selective coloring (never works) and cutting out the groom's head. WTF? I'm pretty sure he had a head on the wedding day...
  • edited September 2014
    gen148 said:

I know people who had a their photographer take photos of them changing their relationship status on facebook using their phones lol

wow!  Taking a pic *after* they're Facebook official seems okay, but during??

STUCK IN BOX

I actually went to a wedding a few years back where the couple stopped to post "I'm about to kiss my husband/wife" on Facebook after the officiant told them to kiss / before they actually kissed.  They weren't actually changing their status, but that's what we all assumed they were doing, and it's just as bad.
  • edited September 2014
    This isn't something I saw on Pinterest, but I had to share:

I majored in fashion design, and my classmate's boss (I think the boss/owner of a bridal salon even) hired her to make the wedding gown for her 2nd wedding. It was mostly camo with a bright orange sash. When I worked in a (different) bridal salon doing alterations, I saw camo tuxedo options in the catalog; I really want to know if the guys in the wedding wore those...
  • This isn't something I saw on Pinterest, but I had to share:

I majored in fashion design, and my classmate's boss (I think the boss/owner of a bridal salon even) hired her to make the wedding gown for her 2nd wedding. It was mostly camo with a bright orange sash. When I worked in a (different) bridal salon doing alterations, I saw camp tuxedo options in the catalog; I really want to know if the guys in the wedding wore those...
    I immediately thought of this:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wait, according to this list, I must have been my own MOH! My MOH approved and wore the dress I bought her with whatever shoes/hair/makeup/accessories she wanted. She did stand next to me at the altar and participate in the pictures afterwards. Then I told her to go have fun and she was off-duty. Looks like I did it wrong. Do I get a do-over???
    ~*~*~*~*~

Wait, according to this list, I must have been my own MOH! My MOH approved and wore the dress I bought her with whatever shoes/hair/makeup/accessories she wanted. She did stand next to me at the altar and participate in the pictures afterwards. Then I told her to go have fun and she was off-duty. Looks like I did it wrong. Do I get a do-over???
    Yes you get a do-over! You marriage is ruined if you don't!!! Luckily, I know some ultra cute ways to put on the invites that you are registered at another different store than your first registry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    RIDICULOUSLY long list of MOH duties
    Yes you get a do-over! You marriage is ruined if you don't!!! Luckily, I know some ultra cute ways to put on the invites that you are registered at another different store than your first registry.
    Well, shit, we didn't register for our first wedding! Everyone, without prompting, gave us cash! I mean, I didn't even do a cute poem or anything. Oh man, I really should have consulted Pinterest before I messed the whole thing up. :(
    ~*~*~*~*~

• So, kind of unrelated, but I'm part of a local Facebook buying and selling page.  Mostly garage/moving/yard sale type stuff.

Well, this one lady has twice posted her two hand-made burlap wreaths.  Both times, she's bumped the post at least once, and still no comments, and only one like!

I'm secretly laughing.  They are insanely ugly, one is black-patterned (using two different patterns: chevron and something floral) and the other uses a red floral patterned burlap.
  • larrygaga said:
    It just looks so silly and posed because that bow doesn't need to be tied.  Why bother having the hands in the photo at all?  Also, I don't know about other people, but I'm not wearing sexy underwear under by dress.  That stuff would all show through like crazy.  My dress is fitted but it's not exactly skin tight.  I guess this girl must be wearing a ball gown, I guess.

Hell, I'm wearing a ballgown and you can bet your sweet asses I'm not wearing anything that looks REMOTELY sexy under it (well, maybe my longline bra - it has some lace around it).  I am wearing shit that's supportive but comfortable, and it definitely doesn't look like that.  "Sausage casing", as I like to call it.
    I have to ask you two, do you plan on slipping into something sexy for the "after-party" with your new spouses?
    Honestly, I hadn't planned on it.  We have been together for 6 years and lived together for 3 and we haven't needed sexy lingerie for any "after-parties" before. :)  Perhaps I'll get something fun for the next night or something, but I'm imagining we'll be exhausted that night anyway.
  • beethery said:

AlisonM23 said:

In case you didn't have enough burlap... there's now "burlap look" paper lanterns!

AKA: Easy fire hazards. At that point wouldn't you just say fuck it and get flamethrowers?

Can I just get a Rammstein dragon mask instead? Please?????? And maybe let sparks rain on me like in Sonne live performances.
  • New one!

Fucking feather dumpsters. Hot glue three together, stuff in fucking burlap flowers, wrap in more fucking burlap and top with some fucking lace.

And this wasn't the soft ostrich feather duster that MIGHT look fitting in a burlap vomit fess. No, she wanted feather dusters with the stiff turkey feathers dyed " sunflower yellow". They go with her "soft smoke" and "Tiffany blue" burlap flowers and hand scribbled I mean painted burlap with chevrons of your fancy colors.

It's a HARDWARE store! Apparently we now are wedding supply also.
  • OMG @larrygaga I'm dying at your suburban comment.  So much this. My friend's sister is getting married at a banquet hall in the 'burbs and friend said her sister was thinking of putting burlap in her centerpieces.  I said, "Oh. Not that it's my business, but can you talk her out of that? Ribbons will still look great with her theme...." 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards