Wedding Reception Forum

Non typical winter wedding reception ideas

My fiancee and I are going to have a winter wedding. I don't like the pinecones/ snowflake decorations for a reception. I'd like to do something a little more unique and memorable, but am having trouble coming up with ideas. I'm looking for a more vintage/classic feel. We are also on a tight budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Non typical winter wedding reception ideas

• You can do vintage/classic. You don't have to do decor that coordinates with the season you're getting married in.
  • I have some ideas pinned (leftover from when we were planning a winter wedding). I'll post them later. I don't have access to them at work.

Mostly, they feature winter colors without the snowflake/pinecone combo, and some of them have lovely cranberry hues (but not Christmasy).
  • I would start with colors you know you like. For a winter wedding, I really like Gold or Silver with whites/ivories/champagnes and then some accent color like a dark burgundy:

A dusty blue: 

or dark purple:

Depending your preference and what direction you wanted to go. You don't need a "theme" where you incorporate snowflakes or other seasonal elements.

P.S. when you mentioned pinecones it made me think of the awesome Stepford Wives scene where they're learning about "crafting with pinecones"... lol!
    *********************************************************************************

• My sister's wedding was in March and she didn't like the whole winter theme. She went with Rose and Gold for her colours and used birch, dried hydrangeas for arrangements, mason jars with beads and lace and lots of nice candles. Her venue was in a conservation area with exposed wooden beams so she didn't really lots of decorations. The only aspect that made it seem like a winter wedding was because the venue had lots of windows so you could see the snow on the ground.
  • As promised, here are my winter wedding pins:

imageimageimageimageimage
  • As you can see, I like focusing on the deep jewel tones with some greys and whites. I also love using lots of candles, since it's so dark. It adds that cozy, warm feeling during the night. I have a few more pins. I didn't want to make that post too long. ;)
  • Also this:

There are still some snowflakes and pinecones, but it also has lots of great ideas for decorating with winter elements that don't scream "Christmas".
  • I am having a winter wedding, I call it 'golden candlelight '. There will be no pinecones, snowflakes or any of the typical stuff. But gold accents and as many candles as I am allowed to have without burning the place down. The only typical winter stuff will be the coat check.
  • I would start with a color palette that you and your fiance like. What are your favorites colors? I would skip colors like coral and bright aqua, however. Those are popular summer and spring colors.

I am also having a winter wedding and did not want to have a "winter wonderland" feel to it. I wanted it to be warm, inviting, and have a vintage feel to it. (When I say vintage, I do not mean shabby chic antique, I mean true vintage. 1940-1960s-ish). We picked colors we like: black and ivory, with touches of champagne and gold. Stay with a style you and your FI really like and enjoy.

Also, use thicker me luxurious materials if you can. Chiffons and such won't be as wintery as say velvet. I will post some ideas later.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @wrigleyville, that was one of my bouquet inspiration photos! #greatminds
  • ElcaB said:
    @wrigleyville, that was one of my bouquet inspiration photos! #greatminds
    Um, which one? :) I posted a ton.
  • Thanks everyone! This helps a lot! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards