Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Questions about revisions sent in from calligrapher

After receiving some revisions from my calligrapher, I just have a few brief questions about addressing invitations.

I was told that with married couples that either have different last names, or married couples where the female is a doctor, the spouses are listed on two separate lines, joined by the word "and" on the second line like so:

Doctor Kathryn Tanner
and Mr. Robert Smith
123 Street Name
City, State 12345

Is this correct? I don't recall ever seeing the "and" but I could easily be mistaken.

I was also informed that "Apartment" should be listed on a separate line, like so:

Mr. and Mrs. Robert Smith
123 Street Name
Apartment 1B
City, State, 12345

Thank you for any advice you are able to give.

Re: Questions about revisions sent in from calligrapher

• Options
    I believe those are correct.
  • Options
    I believe those are correct.
    That was quick! Thank you so much!
  • Options
    Wait around .... There are others more knowledgable than I am. ;).

But yeah, the 'and' denotes that the couple is married.
  • Options
    The "and" is correct but they should be in the same line.

As for the apartment, I think that's correct.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    The "and" is correct but they should be in the same line. As for the apartment, I think that's correct.
    Thanks! That's what I thought looked so strange about it. I originally had them on the same line but she changed it. 
  • Options
    The apartment can be written on a separate line or not- it's more formal to have it on the separate line, but the post office is cool with it being on the same line. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    The "and" is correct but they should be in the same line. As for the apartment, I think that's correct.
    Update:  I figured out why the calligrapher revised so that the lines are broken up -- she goes by Crane's and sure enough, Crane's website says they should be on separate lines! Mystery solved. I've always seen husband and wife on one line, though, so I'm not sure whether to trust Crane's on this one or not.

saacjw said:
    The apartment can be written on a separate line or not- it's more formal to have it on the separate line, but the post office is cool with it being on the same line. 

This is helpful. I'll keep it on a separate line. Thank you!
  • Options
    I am under the impression that a married couple can be on one line or two lines, just depending where things fit, as long as they have the "and" between the names. The "and" is the important aspect for a married couple. If a couple is unmarried, their names would each go on a separate line with no "and". 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards