Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

First look questions

Hi everyone,

My FI and I are really excited about doing our first look photos on our wedding day. We're also planning to do our WP and family formals before the ceremony as well (due to lack of light post-ceremony). Would love to hear some opinions from those who did the first look photos regarding two questions I have:

1) Does my FI wear his wedding band in the photos? Ideally I would love for him to have it on, but I know we wouldn't be technically married at the time of the photos and am not sure if this would be taboo.

2) Do I wear my veil for the photos?

Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: First look questions

• I love first looks bc...
    -I prefer seeing the reaction of the B&G in one photo. The groom will still be moved by the moment of you walking down the aisle, a first look won't change how he feels about you. -He's not looking at the dress, he's excited to see you coming down the aisle to marry him - having seen you an hour before isn't going to change that emotion.
    -It will save a LOT of time. You can go to cocktail hour and enjoy the yummy appetizers! You can spend more time talking to your guests, freeing yourself up to party on the dance floor more after dinner.
    -You can have a comprehensive photo shoot with FI at multiple locations if you want.
    -If clams your nerves and gives you some special time alone on an otherwise busy day.
    -You can have the bridal party and family photos done just before the ceremony. Everyone can be there a little early and then your parents are free to greet the guests at cocktail hour and be good hosts.

DH & I went and took photos together for about 2.5 hours, just relaxing and having fun.
    Then we reserved an hour for family photos. We did not have a wedding party, but have large family, so it was about the same as having a wedding party.

He did not wear his ring, but we didn't do any hand close ups - not our style. I think if you really want it on then do it...unless you are very superstitious ;)

I did wear my veil. It was a birdcage. I wouldn't wear the blusher in front of your face in all the pic if you are using that style. If you have a cathedral length jut be mindful of it so you don't trip on it or get it too dirty. IT's really up to you if you wear it, but my hairdresser put it in and I would never have gotten it out and then back on.

GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• 1) Neither of us wore our rings. We know we took the pictures before the wedding, so it would be weird if we were wearing our rings. 

2) I didn't wear a veil, but if I had, I would have wore it during those photos.

Our first look was a lot like photokitty's. We did like 2.5 hours of photos of the two of us. It was so nice to have that time making googly eyes at each other and relaxing. :) Our photographer also pulled us aside for about 10 minutes after the ceremony to get a couple newly married shots. Those are some of my favorites because we look so blissed out.

• Thanks both for the great advice!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We took our photos outside so I didn't wear my veil, because the photographer said it would be more of  a time waster if  it kept flying all over...
  • We were going to do a first look and I was SO EXCITED for the beautiful pictures and the extra time. Unfortunately my mother had a kind of emotional melt down and we have now changed our schedule back to the traditional "no seeing each other before the ceremony". I'm a little sad, but my mother has contributed some money for the wedding and this is the one thing she has asked for. Sigh...... oh well. It will still be a beautiful day. :)
  • We were going to do a first look and I was SO EXCITED for the beautiful pictures and the extra time. Unfortunately my mother had a kind of emotional melt down and we have now changed our schedule back to the traditional "no seeing each other before the ceremony". I'm a little sad, but my mother has contributed some money for the wedding and this is the one thing she has asked for. Sigh...... oh well. It will still be a beautiful day. :)
    It is really too bad that your mother is forcing your hand and not allowing you to have the first look as you had planned. I whole heartedly believe in the idea that those who pay, have a say...BUT I don't think it applies in this case. There are so many wonderful reasons to have a first look. Your mother should allow you to do as you please on this one. Perhaps you could sight some of the reasons listed above for doing a first look to try and change her mind :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards