Attire & Accessories Forum

Oh for Pete's sake.... David's Bridal vent

I know I piped up on here before about how I really enjoyed my DB shopping experience and my dress. This past weekend I went in for my first fitting and OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD it was the most ridiculously inane experience ever.

I'm a short girl - 5'3, and all leg. My dress is a mermaid fit, and is fitted through the bodice down to about mid-thigh. At least, that is where it is supposed to be fitted, if one were to go by either (1) the photos of the dress on the model; or (2) basic commonsense. So when we were fitting the dress I mentioned the need to bring the bottom of the fitted bodice up about 2 inches - because it hits me right above the knee, which is super awkward. You would think I had asked for them to manifest a million dollars out of the sky with their brainwaves. The tailor dude said, "Well, the thing is we aren't allowed to do that, because we aren't allowed to change the design of the dress." I was like, "You're not. You're just shortening the bodice to fit me." Ooooohhhh no. They kept going on and on about how this was a change in design. I had to pull out photos of the dress on the model and explain it about 10 times. They had to then bring out the manager who kept saying things like, "You know, because I'm in a good mood, I'm going to go above and beyond and look into this for you." Whaaaaaat?? I finally was halfway out of my dress, ready to go somewhere else, when they finally agreed to do it. At which point the terrible manager told me it was my "lucky day." My lucky day? I would say not, lady. I would say not.

Re: Oh for Pete's sake.... David's Bridal vent

• David's Bridal stores are individually owned and operated.  Their alterations people are local.  If you don't like them, take your dress elsewhere for your fittings.  You might actually save money by having it done independently.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Take your dress and go somewhere else.  I would be afraid that the tailor doesn't know what he is doing.  Ask for recommendations from co-workers or friends.
  • Ugh, DB. Just make sure you check your dress for stains and rips. When I picked up dress there were practically kicking me out of the door. When I decided to look at my dress before I left it was covered in orange makeup stains (I'm the palest person ever and wouldn't take the chance of wearing makeup with my dress before the wedding) and the bottom was shredded.

Go somewhere else!
  • Too late! I live on the edge! But yes, I will definitely be going over the dress like a hawk when I pick it up. Or when I go in for my next fitting. They want me to come back in a week to see how the shortened bodice works, before they start in on any of the other changes (like the hemming).

I actually really trust the tailor. He was really great, even though I made it sound like he wasn't. He actually whispered to me multiple times that if his manager didn't let him shorten the bodice the way I wanted to go somewhere else. Red flag!!! Hahahaha. Oh well. I'm over caring. Just let this be done with already.

• jenijoyk said:

Too late! I live on the edge! But yes, I will definitely be going over the dress like a hawk when I pick it up. Or when I go in for my next fitting. They want me to come back in a week to see how the shortened bodice works, before they start in on any of the other changes (like the hemming).

I actually really trust the tailor. He was really great, even though I made it sound like he wasn't. He actually whispered to me multiple times that if his manager didn't let him shorten the bodice the way I wanted to go somewhere else. Red flag!!! Hahahaha. Oh well. I'm over caring. Just let this be done with already.

I wish you the best of luck then! Please, please go over it very well (not trying to freak you out!). :)
  • omg I would've told them to shove it lol I was in my future sister in laws wedding and we got our dresses from David's bridal. I wasn't really a fan of their procedures there. When we went to look at dresses we ended up finding one we liked so we ordered it. Luckily I had my credit card on me because they make you pay in full when you order, unlike the bridal salon I'm going to which only requires half initially. Then they told us their prices for alterations and I was not having it, we took our dresses to a little shop that did a great job and only charged us $35. 
  • I hate DB. I really, really hate them. I'd definitely go somewhere else for alterations if I were you. Today it's raising the bottom of the bodice, but tomorrow there may be another alteration they're difficult about. 

Run far, far away. 
  • I hate DB as well.. and unfortunately that's where I found my dress. Ordered it the other day and was shocked that they make you pay in full. Wow.... like a dummy I did it. I'm hoping to take it elsewhere for alterations because of stories like yours. I know that each one is individually ran, so it can be a toss-up but.. wow. They also sprung the "preservation" kit on me at checkout. "Buy it when you order your dress and it's only $99 instead of $189"... I'm a little afraid at this point lol

• I love the dress I got from DB, but the people (at least at mine) who work there are awful. I was told countless times on how to lose weight and that I "had plenty of time to lose back fat." Unfortunately, my complains went unnoticed through the company. DB is awful.
  •  

kata18 said:
    I love the dress I got from DB, but the people (at least at mine) who work there are awful. I was told countless times on how to lose weight and that I "had plenty of time to lose back fat." Unfortunately, my complains went unnoticed through the company. DB is awful.

OMG.... WOW.

I actually went back to a different DB because I decided that after all this madness, I hated my dress. The consultant at this one was wonderful. Even though he was a dude and it's a little weird to get dressed and undressed in front of a dude, and then have a long discussion with him about corsets versus bra cups. But besides that.... he pulled the best dresses and was so supportive of me being full on crazy shopping for a second dress. We'll see how alterations Round 2 goes... Clearly it is hit or miss with DBs.

• emster86 said:
    I hate DB as well.. and unfortunately that's where I found my dress. Ordered it the other day and was shocked that they make you pay in full. Wow.... like a dummy I did it. I'm hoping to take it elsewhere for alterations because of stories like yours. I know that each one is individually ran, so it can be a toss-up but.. wow. They also sprung the "preservation" kit on me at checkout. "Buy it when you order your dress and it's only $99 instead of $189"... I'm a little afraid at this point lol
    I ordered my dress from DB and took it to a local seamstress for alterations. I only knew to do it because I once got a bridesmaids dress there and not only were the alterations expensive and poorly done but they didn't even press the dress before I picked it up so it was completely wrinkled. If you take it to another bridal shop for alterations they may charge you an additional fee because you didn't buy the dress through them but if you can find a local independent seamstress it would work great for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a total brat and I went in, tried on a couple dresses there to get an idea of size, and then ordered mine from the DB website with the size chart (on clearance!) so that if I needed alterations I could go wherever I wanted. I'm not into draconian policies when I'm buying stuff.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm with everyone on the disliking of DB. Was avoiding going there and went with a friend just cause we figured we should get the experience there. Low and behold, I fell in love with a dress there. Had some questions on alterations before I pulled the trigger, alterations manager almost lost the sale. She didn't ONCE make me feel confident that she could alter it to what I wanted and was just very rude by constantly talking over me. Decided to yes, buy the dress, but have it shipped to my house and will do alterations elsewhere!!! Not dealing with them again, 2 times there, bad customer service both times. They also gave me a "gift" for purchasing that I assume other DB brides have gotten. A shutterfly "gift card" that expires BEFORE my wedding and DB coupons/"gift money" that still expire almost 8 months before the wedding. Huh?? Guess I can make a shutterfly photo book of the planning process? ;-)
  • I went to davids to buy a fit and flare slip. I needed a slip that poofed a little but not to much. They handed me a slip that was literally falling apart as I was trying it on. I was toldi could order a slip. Ok. I go to the register to order it and it wouldn't come in for a month. Not only that they wanted to order a size 14...uhm wut!? No I'm a size 10 in slips...NOTa 14!. This isn't the first bad 3 purine with them either...it was just the final straw.
  • jenijoyk said:

I know I piped up on here before about how I really enjoyed my DB shopping experience and my dress. This past weekend I went in for my first fitting and OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD it was the most ridiculously inane experience ever.

I'm a short girl - 5'3, and all leg. My dress is a mermaid fit, and is fitted through the bodice down to about mid-thigh. At least, that is where it is supposed to be fitted, if one were to go by either (1) the photos of the dress on the model; or (2) basic commonsense. So when we were fitting the dress I mentioned the need to bring the bottom of the fitted bodice up about 2 inches - because it hits me right above the knee, which is super awkward. You would think I had asked for them to manifest a million dollars out of the sky with their brainwaves. The tailor dude said, "Well, the thing is we aren't allowed to do that, because we aren't allowed to change the design of the dress." I was like, "You're not. You're just shortening the bodice to fit me." Ooooohhhh no. They kept going on and on about how this was a change in design. I had to pull out photos of the dress on the model and explain it about 10 times. They had to then bring out the manager who kept saying things like, "You know, because I'm in a good mood, I'm going to go above and beyond and look into this for you." Whaaaaaat?? I finally was halfway out of my dress, ready to go somewhere else, when they finally agreed to do it. At which point the terrible manager told me it was my "lucky day." My lucky day? I would say not, lady. I would say not.

That is so rude!! They should be going above and beyond, every time, with every customer. Ugh, this made me so mad when I read it! What is with customer service these days. I'm going to DB in November and I'm a little worried. They  have such awful reviews on yelp!
  • Haha - isn't that rich? It was so amazing. I think I should tell all my clients that when they call my office. "Oh you want me to send you that document you're paying me for? I'll go above and beyond for you today and consider it. Not actually do it even. Just consider it." 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards