Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Gastronomic honeymoon?

FI and I have been toying with the idea of a food-oriented honeymoon. Has anyone else done one? I'm sure there are tours available, but I'd also be curious to hear of anyone's experiences traveling for delicious food. We are thinking of Copenhagen (to hit up Noma) but that's basically as far as we've gotten. 

Any other foodies with suggestions/ideas? I'm not only interested in fine dining; if you have street food/"lowbrow" spots that you have loved, I'd love to hear those, too!
This baby knows exactly how I feel

Re: Gastronomic honeymoon?

• Options
    There's apparently some "foodies road trip guide" but it's just across the U.S... Not sure if that's something you're interested in? 

I'll be excited to see what responses you get, FI and I would love to do a similar trip in the future!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tcnoble said:
    There's apparently some "foodies road trip guide" but it's just across the U.S... Not sure if that's something you're interested in? 

I'll be excited to see what responses you get, FI and I would love to do a similar trip in the future!
    I'm not opposed to US-only! 

It looks like there are some Google-able food tours out there, too (like this one: http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/road-trips/articles/road-trips-for-foodies) but of course I prefer to hear about people's firsthand experiences, too. 
  • Options
    tcnoble said:

I'm not opposed to US-only! 

It looks like there are some Google-able food tours out there, too (like this one: http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/road-trips/articles/road-trips-for-foodies) but of course I prefer to hear about people's firsthand experiences, too. 
    Also, I XP'd this in Chit Chat, in case you want to follow along there. @tcnoble
  • Options
    Repost from chit chat

We found one absolutely amazing culinary experience in all three big cities we stayed in in Spain- Barcelona, Seville and Madrid. They were all tappas styles. The Barcelona place had everything on pieces of baguette. You took what you wanted and they counted plates. We stuffed our faces and it was remarkable inexpensive. 

Here's a photo of the Barcelona restaurant- I can't remember it's name:

The drinks were off the hook
  • Options
    Chicago is a great foodie town. If you are wanting your mind blown, and don't mind dropping the dough, check out Alinea. There's also some other fantastic places for food. The pizza, Chinatown, hot dogs, all the fun little ethnic places. There's also some cool stuff that isn't edible.
  • Options
    headhurt said:
    Chicago is a great foodie town. If you are wanting your mind blown, and don't mind dropping the dough, check out Alinea. There's also some other fantastic places for food. The pizza, Chinatown, hot dogs, all the fun little ethnic places. There's also some cool stuff that isn't edible.
    Haha! I'm from southeast WI originally, so Chicago was one of my first introductions to delicious dining. (And nonedible delights). I would LOVE to hit Alinea.
  • Options
    We do the food thing wherever we travel and have had fabulous meals in Rome, Seattle, Palm Springs, New York, Montreal, etc. The key is just to do your research before you leave. If there's a big-time restaurant (like Noma) that you want to hit, that's a good starting place, but you can get other recommendations by Googling and reading food or travel blogs and websites. I usually search NY Times Travel section, Serious Eats, Travel + Leisure, Saveur and other high-end travel sites too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards