Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How many cupcakes when there's different flavours?

Sorry if this is a commonly asked question.

My FI and I are going with a cupcake cake for our wedding, and we plan to have 3 different flavours for some variety.
Because we are having different flavours, would you suggest that we get 1 of each flavour for every guest?
I was thinking of having for sure 2 cupcakes per guest- our guest list will be around 125, so 250 cupcakes.
But does multiple flavours mean that people will be wanting to try them all out?

We will also be having a candy/baked goods buffet and possibly fruit platters. So there will be other dessert options.

Re: How many cupcakes when there's different flavours?

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    This calculator gave the same answer I was going to give - so at least I feel somewhat validated.  That answer would be plan for 1.5 cupcakes per person (the calculator also adjusts for if you have other desserts available, other appetizers/food, and multiple flavors - and all three of those factors present resulted in the 1.5 per person).  http://calculate-this.com/how-many-cupcakes-person-calculator

On a smaller scale, I can tell you I just did cupcakes for a surprise birthday party.  I did six dozen cupcakes for 45 people (so about the 1.5 cupcakes per person) and I had about a half dozen left over.  I did two dozen each of vanilla bean, lemon, and chocolate.  Chocolate went first (but, it also had the most decoration and chocolate sprinkles on it), and of the half dozen left I think two were vanilla and four were lemon.  In this particular case, the cupcakes were the only dessert but there were other appetizers there (fruit and veggie trays, cheese and crackers, chips and salsa, a meat tray, and possibly one other thing I can't remember at the moment). 

ETA:  And yes, are some people going to want to try each flavor?  Maybe.  I probably would, but I really really love cupcakes.  Not everyone does (though I have difficulty comprehending that).  Not everyone loves sweets (though I have difficulty comprehending that).  And not everyone is going to even be capable of gorging on 2-3 cupcakes (though I have difficulty comprehending that).  A social unit who really wants to try all three will probably split all three in half - thus resulting in 1.5/pp.  And there are some people who likely won't be tempted by one or more of the flavors (some people don't like chocolate, some people don't like fruity, etc.)
  • Are they mini cupcakes or regular-sized ones? If they're mini, you will probably want 2 or 3 per guest, whereas the standard for regular-sized cupcakes is the previously mentioned 1.5 per guest.
  • Agree w/ PPs, I'd aim for around 1.5 per guest.  I'd probably shoot for 2 per guest, but I like to overestimate and really, you don't have to twist my arm to bring home leftover cupcakes!  :)
  • As long as they're great tasting cupcakes I think your estimate is good - especially since you're also going to have other desserts available.
  • britneydelbritneydel member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    They're going to be standard sized. So I guess my initial thought of 2 per guest will be more then enough. (I have no problem with taking home leftovers!) Thanks for your answers. :)

• I'm having a similar question, although it deals with having other desserts available.

The catering package includes dessert and we can choose from a cobbler, banana pudding, or chocolate cake.  They also offer cookies and brownies so I think we could choose either of those too. 

I'm trying to figure out if we just get enough cupcakes for each guest to have 1 and then either choose 1 of the catering desserts or make split in half.  The cupcakes will likely be all vanilla, so I thought chocolate cake might be a good thing to choose from the caterer for those who like chocolate better.   FI thinks cobbler sounds good, which is weird because he LOVES cake (like he'd probably want a piece of choc cake and a couple cupcakes...sheesh) although it is an extra $1 per serving (not a big deal though). 

60 vanilla cupcakes + 60 servings of catering chocolate cake

30 vanilla/30 choc cupcakes  + 60 servings of catering cobbler

Some other combination?

This would mean each guest would get 2 desserts of some sort.  and I plan to have the catering desserts on the same table as the cupcakes, so it won't just be like here let me grab dessert as I grab my food.

• We had 75 cupcakes with 25 each of 3 flavors.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • kvruns said:

I'm having a similar question, although it deals with having other desserts available.

The catering package includes dessert and we can choose from a cobbler, banana pudding, or chocolate cake.  They also offer cookies and brownies so I think we could choose either of those too. 

I'm trying to figure out if we just get enough cupcakes for each guest to have 1 and then either choose 1 of the catering desserts or make split in half.  The cupcakes will likely be all vanilla, so I thought chocolate cake might be a good thing to choose from the caterer for those who like chocolate better.   FI thinks cobbler sounds good, which is weird because he LOVES cake (like he'd probably want a piece of choc cake and a couple cupcakes...sheesh) although it is an extra $1 per serving (not a big deal though). 

60 vanilla cupcakes + 60 servings of catering chocolate cake

30 vanilla/30 choc cupcakes  + 60 servings of catering cobbler

Some other combination?

This would mean each guest would get 2 desserts of some sort.  and I plan to have the catering desserts on the same table as the cupcakes, so it won't just be like here let me grab dessert as I grab my food.

I think either the chocolate cake or the cobbler would be a fine option for you. They both appeal for different reasons - chocolate cake for people who don't like vanilla, cobbler for people who don't like cake. I don't think you can go wrong either way - the key is for both you and your FI to be happy with whichever option you decide.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards