Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What would you side eye on a Registry

Re: What would you side eye on a Registry

• Options
    If it is decor for a kids room I don't side eye really. I don't see the difference between buying sheets and a lamp for the guest room and the same thing for a children's room.

I would side eye food and clothing. I wouldn't side eye anything from the home department - I might judge your odd, extremely expensive or ugly choices - but I won't side eye them. I side eye gift cards on registries. 

I would never buy towels or sheets bc I don't want the couple thinking of me when they use my gift to dry off or roll around it. Thats' why I always try to buy dishes or cookware ;-p

I LOVE my Corelle and can tell you who got me it. I also love my fine china, but Corelle is fabulous every day dish ware!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I side-eye on a case by case basis.  Chef friend registering for a professional grade kitchen item I don't side-eye.  My friend who doesn't know how to boil water would get one for registering for the same item.  

Even expensive items is case-by-case.  I often spend $200 for a shower gift.  A $200 wood "designer" salad bowl gets a side-eye. $200 blender might not. Even though they cost the same, I don't see the value in a $200 wood salad bowl.

I've never seen kid stuff or clothes on a registry before.  I'm assuming I would side-eye those.
    I registered for a $100 wood salad bowl. It's gorgeous and it's the only present we received that we use every day. We use it every Sunday for family dinners and during the week it sits on our dining room table with fruit in it (so we can try to be healthy and snack on readily available fruit). It is definitely something that has value to us. I guess things like that just depend on the person.

I don't think I would side eye any household item unless it was ridiculously expensive because everyone has different priorities, hobbies, tastes, etc. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I side-eye on a case by case basis.  Chef friend registering for a professional grade kitchen item I don't side-eye.  My friend who doesn't know how to boil water would get one for registering for the same item.  

Even expensive items is case-by-case.  I often spend $200 for a shower gift.  A $200 wood "designer" salad bowl gets a side-eye. $200 blender might not. Even though they cost the same, I don't see the value in a $200 wood salad bowl.

I've never seen kid stuff or clothes on a registry before.  I'm assuming I would side-eye those.
    I registered for a $100 wood salad bowl. It's gorgeous and it's the only present we received that we use every day. We use it every Sunday for family dinners and during the week it sits on our dining room table with fruit in it (so we can try to be healthy and snack on readily available fruit). It is definitely something that has value to us. I guess things like that just depend on the person.

I don't think I would side eye any household item unless it was ridiculously expensive because everyone has different priorities, hobbies, tastes, etc. 
    The bold is subjective.  

Did you notice I said $200 not $100?  Your $100 one I might buy,  I find a $200 salad bowl to be ridiculous expensive (especially for the person who registered for the item).  Yet I do not think a $250 blender is ridiculously expensive.   

One of my favorite shower items is a $89 drying rack.   I'm sure people side-eyed item and I'm okay with that.  I love that thing.  No regrets for putting that on the registry.

So it goes back to the who and what.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Oh, I'm sold on the magical durability powers of Corelle for sure! But it's cheap and something most people in my circle could buy for themselves without batting an eye, so I hate seeing it on their registries. Typical gifts in our circle are $100-$300 so register for something nice and get extra sets!!

Totally a personal preference though. Would never mention IRL and would keep side eye extremely secret.
  • Options
    Okay, Knotties, be honest with me--we have an Amazon registry, and I am extremely tempted to put a $400 DSLR camera on it.  I love taking pictures and it would likely get a lot of use by both FI and me for pictures of travel (and hopefully for little ones in the future).  It doesn't sound like most of you would find it entirely unreasonable, but I keep questioning its appropriateness because of the high price tag.  Other than a KitchenAid mixer, everything else on our registry is $200 or less (many much less), and we live in a high COL living area, so I don't feel like we're being super gift-grabby.  But again, nagging doubts.  So what say you--appropriate or not?
  • Options
    Okay, Knotties, be honest with me--we have an Amazon registry, and I am extremely tempted to put a $400 DSLR camera on it.  I love taking pictures and it would likely get a lot of use by both FI and me for pictures of travel (and hopefully for little ones in the future).  It doesn't sound like most of you would find it entirely unreasonable, but I keep questioning its appropriateness because of the high price tag.  Other than a KitchenAid mixer, everything else on our registry is $200 or less (many much less), and we live in a high COL living area, so I don't feel like we're being super gift-grabby.  But again, nagging doubts.  So what say you--appropriate or not?

I don't think I would side eye it as long as it was one of the only expensive things on your registry.
  • Options
    You are fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I don't side eye much, as PP's have said, there is usually a completion discount that lasts for 6 months after the wedding...so if a $500.00 Dyson vacum is on there...they could always get it themselves for way less.

The last side-eye (rolled eyes) that i gave was from the last  shower I went to - a whole bunch of Clarins beauty products....
  • Options
    Oh, I'm sold on the magical durability powers of Corelle for sure! But it's cheap and something most people in my circle could buy for themselves without batting an eye, so I hate seeing it on their registries. Typical gifts in our circle are $100-$300 so register for something nice and get extra sets!! Totally a personal preference though. Would never mention IRL and would keep side eye extremely secret.
    In my circle the norm is $50 - $150 for wedding. I would side eye a registry that most of gifts were over $100. I expect a registry to have a variety of price points. But I'd feel the same way about the bolded  in this case :)

• Options
    The only times I've side-eyed registries are when there are multiples of the same item on there.  I'm talking like three different vacuums on a single registry.  Because then I'm wondering if you actually want ANY of them or if they're all going to be returned for cash.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If it is decor for a kids room I don't side eye really. I don't see the difference between buying sheets and a lamp for the guest room and the same thing for a children's room.

I would side eye food and clothing. I wouldn't side eye anything from the home department - I might judge your odd, extremely expensive or ugly choices - but I won't side eye them. I side eye gift cards on registries. 

I would never buy towels or sheets bc I don't want the couple thinking of me when they use my gift to dry off or roll around it. Thats' why I always try to buy dishes or cookware ;-p

I LOVE my Corelle and can tell you who got me it. I also love my fine china, but Corelle is fabulous every day dish ware!
    This is me.  I totally judge, but I rarely side-eye.  I won't buy anything I think is ugly or worthless.  Like, I won't buy you a gravy boat, and I think you're ridiculous for wanting one, but it would make me giddy to go to your house months after the wedding and be served a meal requiring use of a gravy boat.  "ooooh, people actually DO use these things!"
  • Options
    I don't side eye really. I mean, if you don't want to spend a certain amount of money, or you think a gift is kinda dumb - don't buy it. Some have said no kids or pets. We have a few things for our dogs on ours - and I know specific couples who will purchase these items as our dogs are like our kids - and they have been a part of their lives. Others have said nothing super expensive - yet I got our knives at my shower (not from a group) and the price tag on them was something I assume some might side eye for "just knives" but FI went to culinary school, we both have good knife skills and they are something we will appreciate and use forever! Register for what you want! Just don't be surprised if you don't get the $500 blender. :-)
  • Options
    adk19 said:

This is me.  I totally judge, but I rarely side-eye.  I won't buy anything I think is ugly or worthless.  Like, I won't buy you a gravy boat, and I think you're ridiculous for wanting one, but it would make me giddy to go to your house months after the wedding and be served a meal requiring use of a gravy boat.  "ooooh, people actually DO use these things!"
    This thread is cracking me up...
    Not only did I register for Corelle, but a gravy boat - I actually have one for my fine china and once for my Wilton Armetale - AND I got a $250 Waterford salad bowl! @lyndausvi ;)
    All of them are normal registry items in my family. It all depends on the person I guess.

• Options
    abbyj700 said:
    I don't side eye really. I mean, if you don't want to spend a certain amount of money, or you think a gift is kinda dumb - don't buy it. Some have said no kids or pets. We have a few things for our dogs on ours - and I know specific couples who will purchase these items as our dogs are like our kids - and they have been a part of their lives. Others have said nothing super expensive - yet I got our knives at my shower (not from a group) and the price tag on them was something I assume some might side eye for "just knives" but FI went to culinary school, we both have good knife skills and they are something we will appreciate and use forever! Register for what you want! Just don't be surprised if you don't get the $500 blender. :-)
    Nothing wrong with putting some more expensive things on there in my mind, as long as there are items that are affordable. I would only side-eye the $500 blender if it was on a list full of pricey knives and Waterford crystal and so on with no under $40 options. To me the most reasonable thing to do is to have a lot in the $25 - $50 range. There may be some variance in that depending on your circles of course. I might want to buy you that Waterford or those knives, but I don't want to feel like that's the only thing I could get you that you would enjoy. 
  • Options
    The only thing I've ever side-eyed was the $350 EACH charger plates for the world's ugliest china pattern that a cousin registered for. 12 of them. I think charger plates are pointless to begin with (yes, a table with charger plates looks nice, but you don't even eat off of them!!!!!!). I wouldn't side-eye a camera. My parents 40 year old+ Corelle still looks like the day they got it. They've only shattered a couple of pieces. It survived me taking it to college, and my sister. That shit is worth every (cheap) penny.
  • Options
    Honestly, I side eye a lot. I think so many people are so wasteful. If you have a colander that works, why do you need a $40 one. Just don't get it, but that's me. I think too many people upgrade for no reason. A friend of mine had a whole cabinet full of wine glasses perfectly fine, but she still registered for $300 of glassware.... I just don't understand. 

Things I've seen I've I side eye: bath robes, Polaroid camera, board games, anything $500+ (I know this is regional, but no one buys anything that big, even in a group), children's items, multiples of the same item. 
    The colander thing made me LOL! We had a great colander, so I never registered for one. We got four (4!) colanders as gifts. All without gift receipts. 
    One aunt actually said "Oh I thought you forgot to put it on your registry". They're nice colanders, but seriously we don't eat that much pasta.

I answer OP. The only items I'd side eye are items over $400 and anything that isn't for the couple.
  • Options
    At least from us, some of the "bizarre" registry inclusions were from a "We love this and when would we buy it for ourselves so we might as well see what happens" type of standpoint.  I will fully admit that we registered for a copper ice bucket and tray, each of which retail for around $150.  Ridiculous?  Definitely.  But when else would you get this?

Honeyfunds, gift cards, children's toys aside, I think if you are providing a reasonable range of registry options (we have about a dozen $5-$10 little kitchen whisks and spatulas and things, all the way to a $400 KitchenAid mixer and some expensive Le Creuset items, with most being between $40-$120 which is common for our circle) and know the general purchasing preferences of your family (since they'll probably be buying the most expensive items), I am not going to roll my eyes at any of the "Why not?" options.  While most of the registry is invariably practical, I don't see it as any harm to have fun with it and include some more whimsical things...if guests think they are silly, they'll buy one of the dozens of other options in their price points.
  • Options
    I will side-eye literally nothing except "GIVE US MONEY FOR OUR HONEYMOON". Like, I once saw a fancy kitty litter box on a friend's registry and that was what I got her. We registered for all kinds of stuff because we wanted a variety of price ranges and also had a ton of guests RSVP. I'm really happy with my animal-shaped oven mitts. like REALLY REALLY HAPPY.
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
  • Options
    I own 4 colanders.  I use them all.  2 are my go-to ones.  1 of the others is really small, the other pretty big. I do not use them as often, but they do come in hand for when I need that size.

I also have about 7 cutting boards.

• Options
    At a recent wedding they had an Xbox One. That I definitely side eyed.

I also more side eye based on a case by case basis. Like my friend from high school registered for 125 a place setting china along with accessories that were 175 min. They do not have a lifestyle to need or use it. She barely cooks. Knowing the person I am pretty sure she is registering for things to return.
  • Options
    Maybe I'll start using all my colanders when I start cooking more than grilled ham and cheese and soup! I already gave one to my brother which he really appreciated.

We also got 4 cutting boards as gifts. One was off the registry and had a colander attached to it.  I've been making jokes that married couples must strain and cut a lot! :)
  • Options
    Honestly, I side eye a lot. I think so many people are so wasteful. If you have a colander that works, why do you need a $40 one. Just don't get it, but that's me. I think too many people upgrade for no reason. A friend of mine had a whole cabinet full of wine glasses perfectly fine, but she still registered for $300 of glassware.... I just don't understand. 

Things I've seen I've I side eye: bath robes, Polaroid camera, board games, anything $500+ (I know this is regional, but no one buys anything that big, even in a group), children's items, multiples of the same item. 
    I wouldn't side eye large items because a) you don't know how much people WILL spend on gifts, so some people do spend larger amounts. b) couples DO get completion discounts so it makes sense to register for large items they need so they get 20 percent off when THEY buy it in the end. I don't side eye that at all for that reason alone.
  • Options
    I agree that it depends on the person (baker registering for top quality cookie sheets, adventurous couple registering for hiking gear, etc.).  I wouldn't buy anything for children if it were on a wedding registry.  I did once see a registry with a "personal massager", lube, condoms, and two different sex positions books.  

• Options
    I rarely side eye registries (other than honeyfunds and blatant requests for cash.)

I think the only thing that REALLY bothers me is a monetarily unbalanced registry. I don't care if you have multiple $100, $300, or $500+ items on your registry, as long as you also have a substantial number of items under those big ticket items, too. 

In my circle, it isn't unusual to receive expensive things off the registry (nice china, good kitchen electronics like blenders, mixers, and French ovens) because the general thought behind it is that you are getting upgraded from old stuff from your freshman dorm to nice stuff that you can host and entertain with in your future home.

At the same time, some of us still aren't on big budgets so the less expensive stuff is great, especially if you have many options to choose from.
  • Options
    The only registry I side-eyed was all big ticket items. I think the cheapest thing on the registry was $300 and the average gift in my circle is $50 shower, $100 wedding. I get putting a couple big things on the registry for the completion discount but I really didn't like that they had no other price points and wondered why they even gave out registry info because I'm sure everyone went off registry or gave cash.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Echoing PPs, I'd mostly side-eye things not for the couple, but there are other things, like disposable items, and things under $5-10 that I would side-eye as well. 

I had a friend register for a plunger and bathroom cleaning supplies....why????? who is going to buy you Scrubbing Bubbles??

Same couple also registered for a new dog collar and leash and dog toys  smh

• Options

I wouldn't side eye anything that was for the couples use. I'm okay with cameras and furniture, luggage, games, power tools etc....I don't mind anyone thinking outside the box.

I would side eye a registry if it had only expensive items on it. I would side eye pet or children's items.

Hey up there @adk19 - I have 3 gravy boats and I use them all, sometimes at the same meal. My family loves gravy and sauces. I use the vintage one, with the candle warmer, to keep butter melted for pierogi and lobster.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I own 4 colanders.  I use them all.  2 are my go-to ones.  1 of the others is really small, the other pretty big. I do not use them as often, but they do come in hand for when I need that size.

I also have about 7 cutting boards.
    I only own 1 colander.  It's made of plastic and I've been using it for more than 10 years.  I want more colanders.  I used mine for 2 different things just for dinner tonight and had to clean it out in between.  I forgot to put one on our registry and I probably won't get around to buying another for awhile.  I envy your colander collection.

I judge the decor choices people make but I don't side eye much.
  • Options
    I love my colanders and gravy boats. I have 2 colanders in regular rotation and 2 more in reserve. I use them almost daily since they're great for rinsing fruits and vegetables in. I have two gravy boats as well, which get regular use (I tend to make a sweet and a savory gravy for meals). But I'm a foodie, and would be really confused if one of my "I don't even know how to use my microwave" friends registered for expensive kitchen gear.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Weirdest thing I've ever seen on a registry: sex toys. Yes, I know they fit the category "for the couple's use," but really?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards