Getting in Shape

Share a Recipe Friday?

So I'm a wee bit bored, even though things will get crazy here in just a few minutes.  I'm also excited to cook up a few healthy dishes this week, but would love some new stuff.  Soooo-something fun you're cooking this weekend? Or just cooked?  Or your ultimate standby dish?

Here's mine for this weekend.  I haven't made it in almost a year, but H loves it and it's perfect for the 90 degree weather.  I adapted it a bit from Epicurious.

Watermelon Cucumber Gazpacho

• 1 3-pound seedless watermelon, diced (about 5 cups), divided
  • 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 medium-size red bell pepper, seeded, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 medium-size yellow bell pepper, seeded, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 small jalapeño chile, seeded, minced
  • 3 pale green inner celery stalks, diced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain or vanilla (depending on desired sweetness)

Preparation

Puree 4 cups watermelon in blender until smooth. Transfer puree to large bowl. Add remaining 1 cup diced watermelon and next 10 ingredients; stir to combine. Cover gazpacho and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.

Divide gazpacho among bowls; stir in yogurt.

Anniversary

Re: Share a Recipe Friday?

• This is one of my favourite veggie recipes with lots of veggies and lots of taste; makes a lot for leftovers!

Vegetarian Shepherds Pie

½ cup         sun dried tomatoes

2 TBSP      extra virgin olive oil

2                 onion, small dice

1                 shallot, small dice

3                 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2                 carrots, small dice

1                 celery stalk, small dice

½                large purple eggplant (skin on)(or 3 zucchini) small dice (approx. 2 cups)

1                 each green and red pepper, small dice

2 tsp           fresh thyme

1 tsp           each: sage and oregano, chopped

1 tsp           ground cumin, preferably toasted

1 TBSP      Worcestershire sauce (& more to taste)

¾ cup         water or veggie stock

2 TBSP      soy sauce

2 cups        cooked lentils (I use green or du puy)

Salt and pepper to taste

Mashed Potato Topping:

6                    Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered (approx 3 lb.) **

½ cup         milk or cream

¼ cup         butter

Salt and pepper to taste

Boursin herbed cheese 

**  or :        Country MashYukon gold +/or Parsnips +/orsweet

spuds +/or carrots

1-   Place sun dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with 2/3 cup hot water.  Soak 10 minutes, slice and reserve the tomatoes and the liquid separately.

2-   In a large saute’ pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over med-high heat and saute’ onion, shallot and garlic for 5-8 minutes until tender.  Add carrot, celery, eggplant, peppers and cook until softened.  Add a little water if necessary to cook until carrots are tender.  Add fresh thyme, sage, oregano, cumin and Worcestershire.   Cook for a couple of minutes and then add stock, soy sauce and a little salt and pepper.  Stir in cooked lentils, reserved sun dried tomatoes and liquid, cover and simmer until all the veggies are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated approx 15-20 minutes.  Taste again and adjust seasonings.

3-   Spread mixture over the bottom of a buttered  dish (9x13 in)  (You want it to be “stewy”)

4-   Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until soft.  Drain and mash the potatoes, adding enough cream and butter, salt and pepper to make them delicious.  Mix in Boursin for an extra fabulous taste.  Spread the mashed spuds on top of the casserole dish and bake Shepherd’s Pie in a preheated 350 degree oven for approx. 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden.  Enjoy!

• jaenella said:

This is one of my favourite veggie recipes with lots of veggies and lots of taste; makes a lot for leftovers!

Vegetarian Shepherds Pie

½ cup         sun dried tomatoes

2 TBSP      extra virgin olive oil

2                 onion, small dice

1                 shallot, small dice

3                 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2                 carrots, small dice

1                 celery stalk, small dice

½                large purple eggplant (skin on)(or 3 zucchini) small dice (approx. 2 cups)

1                 each green and red pepper, small dice

2 tsp           fresh thyme

1 tsp           each: sage and oregano, chopped

1 tsp           ground cumin, preferably toasted

1 TBSP      Worcestershire sauce (& more to taste)

¾ cup         water or veggie stock

2 TBSP      soy sauce

2 cups        cooked lentils (I use green or du puy)

Salt and pepper to taste

Mashed Potato Topping:

6                    Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered (approx 3 lb.) **

½ cup         milk or cream

¼ cup         butter

Salt and pepper to taste

Boursin herbed cheese 

**  or :        Country MashYukon gold +/or Parsnips +/orsweet

spuds +/or carrots

1-   Place sun dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover with 2/3 cup hot water.  Soak 10 minutes, slice and reserve the tomatoes and the liquid separately.

2-   In a large saute’ pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over med-high heat and saute’ onion, shallot and garlic for 5-8 minutes until tender.  Add carrot, celery, eggplant, peppers and cook until softened.  Add a little water if necessary to cook until carrots are tender.  Add fresh thyme, sage, oregano, cumin and Worcestershire.   Cook for a couple of minutes and then add stock, soy sauce and a little salt and pepper.  Stir in cooked lentils, reserved sun dried tomatoes and liquid, cover and simmer until all the veggies are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated approx 15-20 minutes.  Taste again and adjust seasonings.

3-   Spread mixture over the bottom of a buttered  dish (9x13 in)  (You want it to be “stewy”)

4-   Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until soft.  Drain and mash the potatoes, adding enough cream and butter, salt and pepper to make them delicious.  Mix in Boursin for an extra fabulous taste.  Spread the mashed spuds on top of the casserole dish and bake Shepherd’s Pie in a preheated 350 degree oven for approx. 30 minutes, until bubbly and golden.  Enjoy!

This sounds AWESOME
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP can I make this a sticky?
  • This is my favorite side dish- Oven roasted harvest vegetables.  Highly suggest this recipe!

http://www.aspicyperspective.com/2012/11/oven-roasted-vegetables.html
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2013
    Here is a classic and sooooo easy Spinach Artichoke Dip.  It's a 1-1-1-1-1 ratio.  You can substitute low fat sour cream & cheese if you like:

1 block frozen chopped spinach
    1 14.5 oz can of artichoke hearts packed in water
    1 cup of sour cream
    1 cup of mayo
    1 cup of shredded parmesan or romano or jack or whatever you like (you can also do 1/2 cup shredded parm and 1/2 grated and add more or less cheese depending on your taste.  H LOVES CHEESE so I don't look when he makes this).  
    • Defrost spinach in the microwave.  
    • Chop the artichokes into whatever size you like.  
    • Put spinach in a colander and press down hard with paper towels, to get out all of the water. 
    • Mix all ingredients and put in an oven-safe dish or a sourdough bread bowl, saving some of the grated cheese and sprinkle on the top.
    • Put in preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and slightly brown on top.
    • Serve with fresh veggies or chips or sourdough bread.
    • You can also freeze in portions in ziplocs for late-night snacking.  
    Enjoy.
  • I've been raised in an Italian Kitchen, so I do not have exact measurements, sorry lol. But, I whipped this up one night for me and my fiancé and with him being a huge Chinese food fan for this to be a hit, I say its well worth trying!

Brown Rice Lo Mein with Steamed Tilapia

What you'll need:

-Brown Rice Spaghetti; favorite is Trader Joes Brand

-Tilapia Fillet, fresh or frozen ( I make it with frozen)

-Low Sodium Kikoman Soy Sauce (use as desired)

-Olive Oil, about 1/4 cup

-Fresh veggies: broccoli, carrot, mushroom, baby corn, snap peas

-Minced Garlic; to taste

-Minced Ginger, or finely sliced; to taste

Directions:

Prepare the fish in a foil steam packet, place about 2 Tsp low sodium soy sauce directly on the fish. Sprinkle the minced ginger on top. Fold closed packet.  If frozen fish is used, place in cold oven, then preheat to 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

* I typically start the pasta right before the fish is to come out so it can rest and soak up the juices before I serve it*

To Cook pasta:

Boil water in large pot, Add 1 tsp of salt to prevent spaghetti from sticking. Add spaghetti, depending on the type; follow cooking directions, otherwise boil till aldente. Drain and add some oil to prevent sticking directly to pasta.

In Large sauce pan on medium heat, add rest of oil, garlic, ginger and veggies. Lightly brown. Add pasta to pan, turn to coat. Add a dash or to taste low sodium soy sauce, reduce to low heat, turn to coat until  pasta looks like its absorbed the soy sauce or until fragrant.

Open steam packet or fish, plate lo mein and place fish on top and enjoy!!

• So many yummy things to try!

This is on tap for this week: (though I will leave out the extra seasoning to avoid too much sodium, and am still on the hunt for the healthiest bread crumbs available.  So far, Trader Joe's brand is winning)

Parmesan Chicken with Garlic and Herbs

(Makes 4 servings; recipe slightly adapted by Kalyn from a blog that no longer exists)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    2 tsp. crushed garlic (garlic puree from a jar is perfect here)
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp poultry seasoning (I used Penzeys)
    1/4 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
    1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

Combine crushed garlic, olive oil, and poultry seasoning in small pan and heat 1 minute, until just warm.

Trim all visible fat and membranes from chicken breasts, then make small crosswise slits about 1/2 inch apart down the length of each chicken breast, being careful not to cut too far into the chicken. (This helps the garlic and herb flavor penetrate the chicken more.) Put chicken into zip loc bag, pour heated oil over, and marinate all day in refrigerator.

To cook, take chicken out of refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for a few minutes while you preheat oven to 425.

Mix bread crumbs and parmesan (pulse a few times in food processor if the mixture isn't fine enough.) Place cheese/breadcrumb mixture in flat dish and dip each chicken breast into it, pressing on as much of the coating as you can.

Place each chicken piece in casserole dish which has been sprayed with nonstick spray. or olive oil. Bake until chicken is firm and cooked through, about 25 minutes, then put under the broiler to brown more if desired. (Original directions said to bake 30-40 minutes, but I wouldn't cook it that long. Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts, but chicken should feel firm but not hard when it's cooked.)

Anniversary
  • @bwils35, recipes and links to recipes as requested :)  First, those for which I can simply provide a link:

-Tomato Basil Parm Soup (sort of tastes like pizza, H loves it)

http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2009/03/day-56-slow-cooker-crock-pot-tomato.html

-Parmesan Honey Pork Roast

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/slow-cooker-parmesan-honey-pork-roast.html

-Chipotle-glazed roast chicken with sweet potatoes. (note, I did not cook the potatoes , or anything, separately for this, I just cut up and threw in bottom of crockpot, under chicken, and it worked perfectly)

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/chicken/chipotle-glazed-roast-chicken-with-sweet-potatoes/

-Chipotle Beef Chili (I skip the crema on this one, it's good enough without those extra calories)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chipotle-Beef-Chili-with-Lime-Crema-102124

And now those without a link:

-Salsa Chicken: recipe?  just throw a jar of any fun looking salsa in with some chicken breasts.  shred it with about 30 min left.  end of recipe :)

-mango chili

2 cans (10 oz, each) Mexican diced tomatoes

1 packet chili seasoning mix OR 2 tbsp Chili Powder+1 tbsp Cumin+1 tbsp of salt+1 tbsp curry powder

3 tbsp tomato paste

¾ cups Mango juice or mango nectar

¼ cup water with 2 tsp sugar dissolved OR ¼ cup Malibu Mango rum

1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained

1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained

1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained

1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained

2 cups frozen mango chunks

Combine first 6 ingredients in slow cooker. Mix well. Add the beans and mango chunks. Mix well. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours OR low for 8 to 10 hours. Serve with sour cream, Fritos or tortilla chips and cheese.  This chili turns out pretty spicy but if you want some more heat add crushed red pepper or Frank’s Red Hot Sauce to taste.

-chicken tortilla soup

1 pound shredded, cooked chicken

1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed

1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce

1 medium onion, chopped

1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups water

1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 bay leaf

1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn

1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.

-pulled pork (lots of the ladies have different variations on this, all of which sound delicious.  this is our family standby)

1- 2 pound or larger rolled pork roast

1/2 envelope of onion soup mix

1 jar of BBQ sauce

Place pork roast in crock pot and sprinkle with 1/2 envelope of onion soup mix. Add water so that water is about 1 " deep.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Remove meat from crock pot and discard all juices.  Cut strings on roast and shred using knife and fork.  Return meat to crock pot and pour bbq sauce on top. Mix well and reheat on high. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn or stick. Serve on buns with pickles, coleslaw and chips.

Anniversary
  • I made a salad for lunch this week that I've never had before and it was delicious so I thought I'd share. 

Italian Tuna Salad
    2 cups sliced plum tomatoes 
    1 - 14oz can artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely chopped 
    1 - 12 oz can tuna in water, drained, flaked (I used the pouches, one for each of the 4 servings)
    1 bag salad greens
    1/2lb fresh green beans, cooked, drained, halved (about 2 cups)
    1 cup shredded mozzarella (I used 2%)
    1/2 cup Kraft Italian Roasted Red Pepper Dressing 

Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing just before serving. 
    Serves 4 

I tossed all the veggies together with the cheese, then separated into 4 servings. I put them in a tupperware container and packed them with a pouch of tuna and 2 tbsp of the dressing. 

• This is a soup (I am a soup addict) that you can have as much of as you want.  No, really!  No fat, no carb, no gluten, kosher, halal (I guess, I'm not jewish or muslim), vegan (I think), and as low salt if you want.

Carrot Cauliflower Ginger Soup

4 cups of water
    3 large carrots (chopped)
    1 head of cauliflower (in little florets)
    1/2 white onion (chopped)
    2 cloves of garlic (minced or equivilant of powder)
    1/2 teaspoon of ginger
    sea salt to taste (I usually use a tablespoon or so)

In a large pot bring water to a boil.  Add carrots, boil covered for three (3) minutes.  Add cauliflower, recover, boil for eight (8) minutes.  Add onion, garlic, and ginger, recover and boil
    for three (3) minutes.  Pour soup into blender.  Puree.  Add salt to taste and mix.

Tips: 
    Don't make more than the above at a time, as it might not fit into your blender!
    If you feel like being bad, stir in some sour cream for a kick!
  • All these recipes sound so yummy.  I'm going to go thru our freezers and see what we have on hand to be able to make some of these :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This recipe was AWESOME! I love watermelon and living in Florida is the perfect spot to get watermelon year round. The soup had just the right texture and consistency. I will definitely make it again. Thank you for sharing!

Thought I would just share one of my favorite watermelon recipes with everyone :)

Ingredients
    1 (5-pound) watermelon
    1 Vidalia or other sweet onion
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
    4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
    6 whole mint sprigs
    Directions
    Cut the flesh from the melon and cut into bite size pieces, removing and discarding the seeds, and set aside. Peel and slice the onion into rings.

In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and whisk until salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, a few drops at a time. Add in the chopped mint, taste, and adjust seasonings.

In a large bowl, combine the melon, onion, and feta. Pour the dressing over the melon mixture and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed. Garnish with mint sprigs.

To serve, divide salad among individual plates and garnish with mint leaves.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/watermelon-salad-with-mint-leaves-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback
  • Great thread-

Here's my contribution.  I've made a variation of this for a few years and it's always a hit, either served with dinner or with cheese and crackers as an appetizer. Oh, and I often add jalepeno ;)

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cranberry-orange-relish-with-mint#

• Der.  Just realized this is an old thread. Oh well...

• Nothing wrong with bringing it back!

Mmm - Island Chicken! I love sneaking stuff like this in with my other half - he doesn't even realize he's dieting too!

• If you on Pintrest check out the weight watcher recipes.  They are healthy and really good.  More often then not you can find a healthy version of something you have been craving.  I had some good buffalo (not breaded) chicken fingers last night.
  • LizLMHC- found some lovely recipes on pinterist. My fav so far:

LOVE tandoori chicken!
  • This one's delicious- can't believe it's only 45 cal per serving!

Onion, carrot and ginger soup:
    http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/onion-carrot-and-ginger-soup/Default.aspx
  • I made a cauliflower pizza crust last night.

Take half a head of cauliflower and pulse it in a food processor until it resembles rice. Microwave it for 8 minutes. Wring out the liquid with some cheesecloth or a thin dishcloth. Add an egg, 1/3 cup of cheese (I used mozzarella but I guess goat is excellent as well) and some salt and oregano and mix it up. I didn't wring mine out well enough so I added a bit of oat flour. Roll out like normal dough (it's a good idea to use parchment paper but I was out) and bake at about 400 for 35 minutes, then add your sauce, cheese and toppings (I used mushrooms and spinach) and put it back in until the cheese is melted.

FI really didn't think it could possibly be good but even he really liked it. It was not unlike any other thin crust. Only drawback: cauliflower burps that haunt for hours. But it does seriously cut down on carbs and calories!
  • I don't know if FI will go for it...but I really really want to try to this recipe. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=795169

I may just tell him we're doing an "every man for himself" dinner tonight so I can do this...
  • MrsKelleyTMrsKelleyT member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2014
    I can't wait to make this!

Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew

Ingredients:
    6 bone-in chicken thighs, remove skin and trim fat
    2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into spears
    1/2 pound white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
    6 large shallots, peeled and halved
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar

Directions:
    * Place chicken, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper in a slow cooker
    * Stir to combine
    * Put the lid on and cook on low until the potatoes are tender (about 5 hours)
    * Before serving, remove bones from the chicken, if desired, and stir in vinegar.

Nutrition Information:
    This recipe is for 6 servings. Each serving contains the following:
    285 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 5 g fiber; 519 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.

www.facebook.com/travelfitlife
  • chibiyuichibiyui member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014

It's Tuesday. Posts in a share a recipe Friday thread are just cruel.

Eta oh and zombie.

Anniversary
  • Does it have to be on Friday? :)

Last night I made Vindaloo curry fish and it was awesome...

1 filet of flounder
    Mixed curry powder with almond milk to make a paste
    Peas
    Shallot
    Garlic

So I sauteed the minced shallot and garlic in EVOO, added the flounder once the garlic was soft then added my almond curry paste (Any curry is fine, I like Vindaloo for a little spice).  Added a couple of other seasonings, then let it simmer for a few minutes.  Added the peas last and let simmer another few minutes.  Took about 15 minutes and only dirtied one pan, not to mention a lot healthier than it tasted.  It tasted very rich and flavorful and even like I had put cream in it.

Had this with a Nutribullet shake and was a happy bride to be!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards