Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

No Longer a TI Bride - Actively Looking for January 10th venue

TI and I have had a very amicable break up.  It really is best for both of us.  I've been in wedding hell for the last two weeks trying to make the decision on what to do.  So, we are starting over - a little beaten, but hopefully more aware of what our needs are and if the chosen venue can meet those needs.  So, I'm turning to this very helpful forum for suggestions on what to do.

Details

Date:  Saturday, January 10th
Guests: estimated at 55 for ceremony
Time of day: 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Preferred location:  The Strip or just off the strip, hotel
Decor: Neutral elegance, minimal enhancements needed
Cost: Willing to pay for ease in planning/happiness with final event(s)
Ceremony and any hosting festivities do NOT need to be at the same place, open to restaurant for hosting or in-suite
Will consider cake/punch hosting rather than full meal

What say you Vegas Knotties?  What are best places for us to consider so that I don't stress out completely before the happiest day of my life?
Happiness is an inside job

Re: No Longer a TI Bride - Actively Looking for January 10th venue

• Options
    Oh no! What happened? You know...I went through the same thing. Ended up canceling most everything and rebooking elsewhere.
    First thing that came to my mind is the Tropicana. Minimal elegance sums up their bridal chapel and their planners, Katie, were awesome during my decision making process.
    They're food and beverage packages were priced well and they had multiple venue choices within the resort for the reception.
  • Options
    Me three.  I cancelled with Mandalay Bay (and lost my deposit) and started over somewhere else as well.  So glad I did.  Best of luck with your new plans!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What's your budget?
  • Options
    Oh no! What happened? You know...I went through the same thing. Ended up canceling most everything and rebooking elsewhere. First thing that came to my mind is the Tropicana. Minimal elegance sums up their bridal chapel and their planners, Katie, were awesome during my decision making process. They're food and beverage packages were priced well and they had multiple venue choices within the resort for the reception.
    Thank you. I've been looking at their site and saw that they have done some significant upgrading over the last few years. Things at TI started off very well. I was supremely happy until we paid the chapel a visit in July. The chapel is advertised for seating approximately 65. Not so. It's teeny tiny. If it fit 52, I'd be stretching it. And our guest list greatly expanded. Who knew so many people (1) wanted to spend the money to go to Vegas and (2) were not shy about asking for invites (my fault for caving, I know). We looked at the ballrooms, which are very plain, but I was resigned; we have more people than we thought. On top of that, the catering staff had all changed, but they didn't notify anyone. And I had to hunt the new staff down a couple of weeks ago to start the finalizing. That's when the real nightmare began. Every upgrade they sent me was crazy ugly and crazy expensive. My reasonably priced wedding and reception was turning into an expensive, ugly affair. I just wasn't feeling it. No plans on the dimensions of the ballroom and table placement. No picture of the aisle runner (really?). We already knew we were going to have to significantly increase our spend to accommodate the new guest list but I was not okay paying more money for a wedding that I would not be proud of. I have been stressed out since I knew I had to cancel. Now that it's done, but I don't have a new venue, I feel good but also rushed. Oh well.. As for TI, they have been great with the break up, even honoring the block. I understand that they are going to be undergoing some upgrades to the chapel area and obviously, the catering staff is also cleaning things up. I'm sure that they will be able to host some fantastic weddings; ours just isn't one of them.
  • Options
    TK ate my paragraphs!
  • Options
    Me three.  I cancelled with Mandalay Bay (and lost my deposit) and started over somewhere else as well.  So glad I did.  Best of luck with your new plans!

Oh, please share your experience, because Mandalay Bay and Aria are my two top choices, with Platinum and Tropicana rounding out the top four.
  • Options
    What's your budget?
    I'm actually not sure.  We were ready to spend about $14k with the higher guest count, but I think that we have decided to close the ceremony to family and very close friends, so that's how we're ending up with the 55-60.  That's why we're open to the cake/punch or drinks/appys idea rather than a full on reception.  But I think I'm still okay with that spend amount.
  • Options
    I'm booked for ceremony at Aria too but am getting married in November so I don't have feedback yet other than how gorgeous the chapel is. Like others have said, aria communication is great at first but then trickles off somewhat. They have also doubled in price since I booked my wedding.
    We are having our reception at the Stardust Suite.
  • Options
    I second Aria! The chapel is beautiful and really doesn't need any decorations. They were good with communication too. The ONLY reason I'm not booked there is that the chapel is closed on christmas eve, my wedding date.
  • Options
    Well, I can't really say anything too bad about them.  Actually, my planner was quite good.  That said, I ran into a lot of the same things you described above in terms of escalating pricing and a few other things.  We originally were looking at having a very small wedding -- about 30 guests.  I had my heart set on an outside venue and Valley of the Falls looked awesome.  Until we got there.  I have seen good reviews about the location so maybe it's fine but for us, it wasn't.  It was a LOOOOOOOOONG hike from the hotel, guests had to gather together and be taken to the venue so they "wouldn't get lost" and it is literally like 10 feet from the Strip with people walking by and cars buzzing by.  The pool wasn't an option due to a lot of factors.  We were almost going to just say, "Eff it, it will look pretty when they decorate it" because we really liked the idea of the reception in Ri Ra.  FI's family is Irish and that seemed like an awesome choice.  We were, however, underwhelmed by the space and even more so when we found out we could only have it for 2 hours.  WTF?  You want $14k for a dinner and I can only stay 2 hours.  That's barely enough time to eat -- let alone dance.  The did offer me an extra 4 hours for $12k MORE.  Uhhhhhno.  Thank you.  Anyway, our guest list ballooned to nearly 80 people and the options and pricing just weren't very attractive to us.  We ended up going with The Venetian and although it is a bit on the expensive side (just about on par with Wynn) I can't rave enough about the planners there.  They are absolutely amazing.  I considered Wynn, too, and they were very nice to work with as I made my selection.  All the locations there are gorgeous as well, including their outdoor terrace.  I would have booked that if it wasn't already reserved.

One thing to note:  I know several people that have gotten married at Aria and they loved it and it's a really nice space.  It IS on the smaller side though.  I could be wrong about this but I thought somebody said it only seats 50 people.  Even if it is a few more, it would be a tight fit for your group.  Not trying to steer you away from it.  Just something to keep in mind.  Oh also, their planners aren't the great with communication.  It takes them a really long time to get back to people and sometimes you have to be a real PITA to get that much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Depending on your budget, I would take a serious look at Wynn.  The Primrose Court venue outside is amazing.   They also have two indoor chapels that are undergoing complete makeovers right now.  The spaces look like they are going to be gorgeous.  The reputation of the planners is really good as well and like I said, my limited experience with them was nothing less than wonderful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm booked for ceremony at Aria too but am getting married in November so I don't have feedback yet other than how gorgeous the chapel is. Like others have said, aria communication is great at first but then trickles off somewhat. They have also doubled in price since I booked my wedding. We are having our reception at the Stardust Suite.

I have a feeling that once these places get your deposit, you're on the hook...  That's how it felt at TI. Yes, Aria is so gorgeous and expensive.  In my taste, it's the place to go.  But maybe my wallet says otherwise.....  Wonder if they are picking up disgruntled brides that are just so done with the process.  LOL
  • Options
    fitnik07 said:
    I second Aria! The chapel is beautiful and really doesn't need any decorations. They were good with communication too. The ONLY reason I'm not booked there is that the chapel is closed on christmas eve, my wedding date.

Yes, I spoke to them today.  I should get their package tomorrow.  MB has been responsive, as has The Platinum.  

After the whole decor thing, I really don't want to spend money and want a chapel that our love will decorate..

And I LOVE your wedding date!
  • Options
    Well, I can't really say anything too bad about them.  Actually, my planner was quite good.  That said, I ran into a lot of the same things you described above in terms of escalating pricing and a few other things.  We originally were looking at having a very small wedding -- about 30 guests.  I had my heart set on an outside venue and Valley of the Falls looked awesome.  Until we got there.  I have seen good reviews about the location so maybe it's fine but for us, it wasn't.  It was a LOOOOOOOOONG hike from the hotel, guests had to gather together and be taken to the venue so they "wouldn't get lost" and it is literally like 10 feet from the Strip with people walking by and cars buzzing by.  The pool wasn't an option due to a lot of factors.  We were almost going to just say, "Eff it, it will look pretty when they decorate it" because we really liked the idea of the reception in Ri Ra.  FI's family is Irish and that seemed like an awesome choice.  We were, however, underwhelmed by the space and even more so when we found out we could only have it for 2 hours.  WTF?  You want $14k for a dinner and I can only stay 2 hours.  That's barely enough time to eat -- let alone dance.  The did offer me an extra 4 hours for $12k MORE.  Uhhhhhno.  Thank you.  Anyway, our guest list ballooned to nearly 80 people and the options and pricing just weren't very attractive to us.  We ended up going with The Venetian and although it is a bit on the expensive side (just about on par with Wynn) I can't rave enough about the planners there.  They are absolutely amazing.  I considered Wynn, too, and they were very nice to work with as I made my selection.  All the locations there are gorgeous as well, including their outdoor terrace.  I would have booked that if it wasn't already reserved.

One thing to note:  I know several people that have gotten married at Aria and they loved it and it's a really nice space.  It IS on the smaller side though.  I could be wrong about this but I thought somebody said it only seats 50 people.  Even if it is a few more, it would be a tight fit for your group.  Not trying to steer you away from it.  Just something to keep in mind.  Oh also, their planners aren't the great with communication.  It takes them a really long time to get back to people and sometimes you have to be a real PITA to get that much.
    Yes, I've already experienced the lag with Aria.  I spoke to someone this afternoon and I hope the package will be sent tomorrow.  I really hadn't considered them for the ceremony even though I LOVE the chapel.  What we thought about is a simple ceremony at one of the larger strip chapels (like MB or Tropicana) and then hosting an "open suite reception" for four hours in a sky suite at Aria to get around the maximum issues.  We would do the separate catering and alcohol to keep costs from getting crazy.  

We've not considered any outside spaces because it's January and January in Vegas is cold.  We want to get a nice suite because my FSD will be getting married the next day in our suite.  No issues with maximums, as there will only be 12 people.  So, we are looking for something nice to entertain and receive people in.

One other thing I like about the MB is that the rooms are listing right now for $115/night.  That is attractive for guests that want to stay where we are staying.

I looked at the RiRi and considered it, but wasn't sure.  I don't think we want to pay so much for that short amount of time either!  

I just don't know...  I'm taking my time but that's not making the guests feel any better - especially my cousin who already called me complaining that MB is sooooo far....
  • Options
    Depending on your budget, I would take a serious look at Wynn.  The Primrose Court venue outside is amazing.   They also have two indoor chapels that are undergoing complete makeovers right now.  The spaces look like they are going to be gorgeous.  The reputation of the planners is really good as well and like I said, my limited experience with them was nothing less than wonderful.
    Thank you.  I hadn't really looked at the Wynn.  I will now and ask about the chapels.  The January date limits what we can do outside.
  • Options
    If you get a suite big enough, maybe consider doing your ceremony in-suite too.  We are doing that and it's saving us a ton.  Plus we are having a close friend officiate. 
  • Options
    On the Aria limitations, the planner said that it seats 60 - tightly, but it does.  The stage is large enough for a 20 person BP.  I was very clear in asking her about a seat for every butt.  She said that she would also send me choices for rooms that can seat more.  When I get it, I'll report back.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    If I had 14k budget my first call would be Mandarin Oriental (I love this hotel and they have been the most professional of the bunch when responding to emails) to have my ceremony and then do the reception somewhere else.   I'd put good money that they'd fit this criteria to a T: "Cost: Willing to pay for ease in planning/happiness with final event(s)"

Here's their 12/13/14 offer for reference:

A fantastic love. A fantastic moment.

A fantastic date, 12-13-14.

Wedding ceremony or vow renewal in MOzen Private Room

Limousine service to the Courthouse to obtain Marriage License

Bride’s dressing room and groom’s dressing room

Bride’s bouquet and groom’s boutonniere

Rose petals and candles to adorn the aisle with aisle runner

One hour of photography with ceremony coverage & photos at Mandarin 

Oriental, Las Vegas - USB & copyright release of photos included

Officiant fee included

IPod connection included

All décor as shown in photo included

One hour reception with wedding cake & champagne toast to follow in 

The Edge at Mandarin Bar

Private entrance and complimentary valet parking for all wedding guests

Limit guest count to 50

Available ceremony times: 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm

Wedding Package Starts at USD 6,500

Pricing exclusive of tax and gratuity
  • Options
    If you get a suite big enough, maybe consider doing your ceremony in-suite too.  We are doing that and it's saving us a ton.  Plus we are having a close friend officiate. 
    You might have been reading my mind. I have made specific requests about which large suites are available on our date. That will help determine where we ultimately end up.
  • Options
    If I had 14k budget my first call would be Mandarin Oriental (I love this hotel and they have been the most professional of the bunch when responding to emails) to have my ceremony and then do the reception somewhere else. 

Here's their 12/13/14 offer for reference:

A fantastic love. A fantastic moment.

A fantastic date, 12-13-14.

Wedding ceremony or vow renewal in MOzen Private Room

Limousine service to the Courthouse to obtain Marriage License

Bride’s dressing room and groom’s dressing room

Bride’s bouquet and groom’s boutonniere

Rose petals and candles to adorn the aisle with aisle runner

One hour of photography with ceremony coverage & photos at Mandarin 

Oriental, Las Vegas - USB & copyright release of photos included

Officiant fee included

IPod connection included

All décor as shown in photo included

One hour reception with wedding cake & champagne toast to follow in 

The Edge at Mandarin Bar

Private entrance and complimentary valet parking for all wedding guests

Limit guest count to 50

Available ceremony times: 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm

Wedding Package Starts at USD 6,500

Pricing exclusive of tax and gratuity
    OMG!   The OM is the other property that I think is so gorgeous, I can't see straight!  When it first opened, I used to internet stalk it and dream my wedding would be there.  I'll contact and see where it goes.  One can never be certain.  And I might even have a guardian angel...
  • Options
    amurray@mohg.com  was my contact (Ali Murray)
  • Options
    RFPs requested from Tropicana and Mandarin Oriental.  On the Wynn and Palazzo now...  Whew.
  • Options
    If by any chance you end up going with Palazzo, ask that Heather Curt be your coordinator.  She rocks balls.  In the best way possible!  LOVE her!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, heading there now to put in the request.... 

You all are amazing as I knew you would be.  I feel better already!
  • Options
    Another vote for Aria! Ask for Marissa - she's absolutely fantastic!
  • Options
    I spoke with Erika at Aria day before yesterday. She said she would send me a package. Still waiting. OTH, almost all of the other RFPs I requested last night have made contact and sent brochures! I am formulating a few ideas in my head, but still need a little more time. Also, Mandalay Bay has not followed up...
  • Options
    Another vote for Aria! Ask for Marissa - she's absolutely fantastic!

Just spoke with Marissa. She seems on it!
  • Options
    The Bellagio has a chapel that seats 130
  • Options
    I found a few properties that have capacity (indoor) for 100:

Trop
    Bellagio
    Caesars
    Paris
    Wynn
    Mandalay Bay

Of those, I love the Wynn and MB, but W is pricey (starts at $3.2k) while BM starts at $2.2k, I do wonder if they will nickel and dime - exactly the feeling I want to avoid.

I like the room prices at MB way more for my immediate family and BP, who will all be staying wherever we stay.  Even Aria has rooms that are more competitive than W.   The remainder of our guests are staying in the Flamingo/Mirage/TI area. I do not wish to do a suite at W, so while beautiful, the Lavender Salon was just redone, it is coming in second for overall (face) value.  

I'm leaning more to having both the ceremony and in suite at MB.  FH saw a video of the media suite and fell in love (think it was the TVs for Sunday football, LOL).  He likes both chapels but wants the cheaper one (men).  I consider myself more of a modern, simple bride, so THeChapel fits that bill.  I might ask her to video it on her phone and send it to me.  Yes, I think I will.  I did get a bit of the hard sell (sign contract now and pay non-refundable deposit), but I told her no way; I'm taking my time (relatively) on this one.

A contender from left field showed up today when I got the packages for the Paris Chapel.  While the chapel is not my personal style, there is enough seating, it's very central and the price point is crazy good - $1200, a full $1k under MB.  But I haven't told FH about that one, cause he'd book it in a minute!

I've already reserved the hospitality suite at Aria because it was so darn reasonable ($535/night), but all of the suites at MB are bigger.  I can cancel with no penalty.  The media suite is similar in pricing, but only with booking the ceremony.  

One point a colleague of mine made was that at MB, there are windows and higher ceilings, so that is a very comfortable feeling for the guests.

I talked with Marissa today and she said that they have gotten 80 people in the Aria chapel with some standing.  She said the ceremony is literally 5 minutes, soooo.  But then, I'm thinking, the price is $3.5k for 5 minutes?  Whoa.  Still waiting for their package...  Tick tock, tick tock....

• Options
    Also heard back from Mandarin Oriental.  Their site fee starts at $3k.  Their pp reception starts at $225.  I told her that I'm still interested in the ceremony only, so we'll see where it goes from there.  If I am considering the Wynn, I'm going to consider them because I think it's such a gorgeous property.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards