Chit Chat

Do I Need to Retake my Engagement Pics (PIP) Slight AW

falsarafalsara member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited September 2014 in Chit Chat

Hey you guys!!!! I've had my Engagement photos for a while, FI and I had them done last September because there was one place in his hometown he really wanted to take them. 

I've recently thought about redoing them because I don't know if they are nice enough to use for our STDs.  What do you ladies think???  Should we get them redone? Bare bones honesty please.

ETF: Formatting

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do I Need to Retake my Engagement Pics (PIP) Slight AW

• I really like the one between the 2 trees. You both look very genuinely happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the first and third ones are fine. The lighting on the others are awful. Some people get really great engagement photos, but most of mine sucked. We didn't end up doing STDs or even printing them out for that reason. :/ I would get them redone. And personal preference, but are your FI's glasses transition lenses? If he has regular glasses I would use those instead.
    Yea, those are transitions.  I don't know if he can get regular ones.  His eye surgeries have affected his light sensitivity.  Ill get him to ask his doc though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• They look a little blurry almost? Like the focus isn't crisp. That kind of stuff tends to worsen exponentially when printed. :/ But you could try doing a test print at home on regular paper or photo paper to see what you think: often things look different on a screen than irl.
  • I agree with @winchestered regarding the transition lenses.  Does he have "normal" glasses?  Does he normally wear glasses?  I get trying to capture him as he normally is, but I'm one who likes to see people's eyes in pictures for STDs or professional pics.

FWIW, my mom took the picture we used for our STD.  DH (at that point, FI) and I were with my mom and sister at a wedding and we saw a nice area for a pic.  We got engaged in May and I was on a project that required travel Monday-Thursday every week through the beginning of October.  Combined with the fact that the weather in Houston SUCKS for pictures until October, we waited to do our professional e-pics until then. 

Come to think of it, my mom actually took the pics of my sister and her DH (then FI).  @cwradford, wanna call my mom to do your STD pics?!  (just kidding). 
  • I think the first and third ones are fine. The lighting on the others are awful. Some people get really great engagement photos, but most of mine sucked. We didn't end up doing STDs or even printing them out for that reason. :/ I would get them redone. And personal preference, but are your FI's glasses transition lenses? If he has regular glasses I would use those instead.
    Yea, those are transitions.  I don't know if he can get regular ones.  His eye surgeries have affected his light sensitivity.  Ill get him to ask his doc though.
    I wouldn't spend the extra money on new glasses. That's just something I noticed. If you wanted the lenses lighter, you could take them in a brighter area. But if that puts your fi in pain or discomfort, I definitelt wouldn't do it. Try the photoshop thing, you may be surprised! Do YOU like them?

I will definitely look at the photoshop idea.  These were some of the ones that I liked, and we also have some really great wide shots with the full mountain behind us.  I don't know if we will be able to go back to this place to take photos as I now live on the other side of the country.  The photographer is also a close friend, so I may be able to ask her to further edit some of the lighting.

I also think that I just photograph really awkwardly.  All limbs, never in flattering positions so we had some ones with really great lighting, but awkward looking me.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• falsarafalsara member
    edited September 2014

@sarahbear31 Yes he normally wears glasses. No, he doesn't wear regular ones. 

He's had some major eye surgeries, and not only have they changed the shape of his lids, so that they look not normal, but it's caused some light sensitivity.  Even when he sleeps his right eye lid doesn't close all the way.

I'm all for seeing people's eyes but sometimes that particular eye doesn't do well in photographs, its also something that he's really insecure about. Which will happen when you get called that kid with the crazy eye.

ETA: Elaboration also paragraphs

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Gotcha.  I can totally appreciate the insecurity regarding his eyes; that's why I asked for clarification. 

TBH, I don't look at the setting too much when I get an STD (unless it's in a very unique location).  Of the ones you shared, I like the 4th or 5th ones the best.  I don't know if I'd spend the money on more professional pics, but if you are out and about and have a friend that can capture a great shot of the two of you, then awesome! 

Looking back on our wedding photos (and even our engagement photos), I can tell the ones in which DH was having his "posed" smile and which ones were more candid and he was genuinely happy.  If you can find someone who can best capture your FI's happy, I bet you'll be set.  You know him MUCH better than any of us do, and you know what his truly "happy" look is.  You have time.  I'm sure you'll get a great shot!

• Gotcha.  I can totally appreciate the insecurity regarding his eyes; that's why I asked for clarification. 

TBH, I don't look at the setting too much when I get an STD (unless it's in a very unique location).  Of the ones you shared, I like the 4th or 5th ones the best.  I don't know if I'd spend the money on more professional pics, but if you are out and about and have a friend that can capture a great shot of the two of you, then awesome! 

Looking back on our wedding photos (and even our engagement photos), I can tell the ones in which DH was having his "posed" smile and which ones were more candid and he was genuinely happy.  If you can find someone who can best capture your FI's happy, I bet you'll be set.  You know him MUCH better than any of us do, and you know what his truly "happy" look is.  You have time.  I'm sure you'll get a great shot!

.........SITB ......

Thanks for all the feedback!  I'll definitely see what I can do about the editing/ Photoshop that PP suggested, and I'll also keep a lookout for any pics that end up being taken between now and when I order STDs in 8 months. 

Really this only came up today because I realized that me and FI don't have any pictures of ourselves anywhere in our apartment, and I remembered that we had engagement pics.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If you retake, Dollar Store glasses!
  • scribe95 said:
    At this point is it really worth it? You have been engaged for like a year. I guess I don't really understand the point.
    I'm also with this. Plus, I prefer non-picture STDs. I feel obligated (by myself I suppose) to put the STD on my fridge and I get sick of looking at the same picture for months, but I also change the photos in our home around every 2-3 months.
  • @scribe95‌ and @RebeccaFlower‌. I was just going over my pics to see if I could find one nice enough to put in the living room, as we have no framed pictures of us as a couple.

I then realized that some of them weren't that great.

Most of my family hasn't met him and we were planning to do postcard STDs which is why we took pictures.

Many PPs have said to see if I can change the color/ lighting in some of them and to wait and see if we take any random photos between now and then.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    I would recommend getting them redone with a more experienced, skilled photographer. 
  • emmaaaemmaaa mod
    edited September 2014
    I also prefer no STD, period, or just a plain one. FI and I didn't send STD's because we thought they were a waste of money. However, if you just want some nice pictures to hang up of the two of you, I would retake them. 

Since he needs transition lenses, could you possibly take them at an indoor location like a winery, library, museum. Somewhere that is interesting to look at but still inside. Hire a reputable photographer and spend the extra money for good pictures.

Here are a few of ours (I'm being an AW) but to show you the quality difference.

• They do look a bit amateur.  The thought is there, the idea is there, but the execution just isn't quite complete - know what I mean?

That being said, STD's are completely unnecessary anyway and I wouldn't waste money on them.

Here's a few of ours...we did them as a family shoot instead

• falsarafalsara member
    edited September 2014
    Most of my guests are coming from across the country, and it's a 3 day weekend. I really want to give them time to plan their trips. Which is the only reason we're doing STDs

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• scribe95 said:
    At this point is it really worth it? You have been engaged for like a year. I guess I don't really understand the point.
    I'm with this as well.  Many of the STDs I get, if pictures are included, are pictures that the couple has pulled from their FB page or is a quick shot taken by a friend.

But then again, I am in the "I don't understand the point of engagement pictures" boat so there is that.

• Yeah, the focus and lighting leads me to believe your photog isn't a pro. I like the suggestion to do non-photo STDs, but I also understand the desire for nice, professional portraits of the two of you. You don't need engagement shoots for that though! You can book a portrait session with a local photographer. They tend to be less expensive because they're not attached to a wedding. 

In addition to having better composition, focus and lighting, a competent professional will probably also understand how to work with your fiance's eye issues to get the most confident, flattering pictures of you two.
  • cwradford said:
    Most of my guests are coming from across the country, and it's a 3 day weekend. I really want to give them time to plan their trips. Which is the only reason we're doing STDs
    Honestly?  Save your money...
    Give them a phone call, 'Hey FI and I are getting married on X date.  I wanted to give you the heads up that an invitation will be coming your way so you can make arrangements if needed.  If you have any questions, let me know!'

Phone calls are so much more personal, and so much cheaper than disposable stationary....serve the same purpose too.
  • JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    edited September 2014
    Another vote to get them redone.  The lighting, focus, and composition of those shots just doesn't look professional.  I think the first and third ones are cute, and you might be able to run* a filter on them, but you will probably get more quality pics if you do another session with a reputable pro photographer.

Don't get hung up on whether they are "engagement" photos or not.  You can have nice pictures taken of you guys as a couple at any time for any reason.  And personally I LOVE photo StDs and they live on my fridge long after the wedding is over.

Obviously I'm biased because we just got photos taken almost 2 years after getting engaged.  It was a free session included with our already very reasonable pro photog package, so why not just have some nice pictures?

*to "fun" a filter could be interesting but I don't know how you would do that...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Omg, @ashley8918‌, your kids (or FI's?) are soooooooo cute!
  • Yeah, @Ashley8918, you and your whole family are insanely adorable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Omg, @ashley8918‌, your kids (or FI's?) are soooooooo cute!
    Awww, thanks :) They're allllllll mine 

(Until he adopts them this year, of course).
  • Yeah, @Ashley8918, you and your whole family are insanely adorable.
  • cwradford said:
    I was just going over my pics to see if I could find one nice enough to put in the living room, as we have no framed pictures of us as a couple.

Sonofabitch, stupid box!

I agree with PPs that I would have them redone. I did want to respond to the above though and say that I think your profile picture is lovely and would serve the purpose of a framed photo of you two for your living room. =)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    That photos of us that were my favorite were when our photographer told us to tell each other why we loved each other, there are pics where I'm tearing up and where we are laughing, but you can see the emotion. Maybe try that next time instead of thinking about being photographed.

ETA, I think you should retake them, and since you said you are all arms and legs, use that. Have some space in between you two. Just because you aren't snuggled up and kissing there can still be connection in the pictures.
  • I'd consider retaking them but I don't think it's necessary if you don't want to or don't have the time/money for it. The lighting wasn't the best in our's either but it worked once we had them printed on our STDs and I'm sure you can edit the photos to make them look a bit or a lot better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cwradford said:

I want to thank all you lovely ladies for all of the input!!! You guys have given me a lot to think about, and I super appreciate it! 

@SaraBrideSoon Thanks! That does happen to be a good picture, and I'll ask FI as to whether or not he wants to use that for the living room. 

@ashley8918, @LDay2014, @emmaaa and anyone else I missed who posted pics.  Thanks for sharing!  You all have wonderful photos!  =)  It really  helps me to be able to compare the quality.

I also got a hold of my mom, who helps edit pics and is super familiar with photoshop.  She's going to see what she can do with some of the better ones and if they turn out good than I might post an update.    I'm sure she'll be better able to change the lighting than I will.

If they can't really be edited enough then I will either schedule a family portrait shoot, or since we haven't booked our Photographer for the wedding yet, I may ask if they will do an engagement shoot for a discount if we book them for the wedding. 

If all else fails I'll send postcard STDs with a landmark for the picture. Lol.

The darker ones, like the one with the twin trees, can be edited easily and it would literally take a minute for the minimal editing (I can show you if you want). You can get away with just increasing the exposure and playing with brightness/contrast on Photoshop.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • missdelilahmissdelilah member
    edited September 2014
    I really think that all matters with E photos is that you two feel like it's a reasonable representation of you both. That they capture something about who you are as a couple. If you feel these photos do, then fiddle with them. Otherwise see if you can get a discount on some new ones that do.

And a little secret I learned about photos when I was a kid: you always think that photographs of yourself are about 1,000 less flattering than everyone else does. Trust me, no one will be thinking, "wow, this is a weird looking photo," unless you point out what you think is wrong with it. I thought they were all adorable, though not particularly professional looking, until you mentioned the thing about the limbs, and now I get what you mean (I can have that problem too) but I didn't notice it until you'd pointed it out.

Good luck with this, which ever way you end up going.

ETA: Paragraphs! Seriously: I'm getting really sick of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards