Vow Renewals

Incorporating anything from your 1st wedding in your vow renewal?

I think it would be really special on my renewal day to wear something that I wore for our wedding 10 years prior. I am very sentimental like that. But... nothing really works. I wanted to wear the same shoes but they don't entirely go with the dress I bought. Nor does any of my jewelry. But the thought is nice. I'll keep brainstorming...

Is anyone doing this? If you had a wedding already (as opposed to JOP) what do you think you can/will use again?

Re: Incorporating anything from your 1st wedding in your vow renewal?

• Can you use your cake topper? 
    You'll have your rings - so that's something.
    You could use the shoes, jewelry etc in a display with some photos of the wedding.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Those are great ideas! We are going to do a blessing of our rings.

The cake topper is a good idea! I really love ours. It was a clay model of us and stays on our mantle.  Thank you. @photokitty

• Just a reminder: a JOP wedding IS a wedding. Don't discount it or call what you're doing one the "real wedding." If you stood before the JOP, said your vows, and signed the papers, you had a wedding.
  • Sure, of course. I didn't use the word "real" or intend to discount JOP ceremonies.

I have not known JOP ceremonies to include cultural or religious customs, traditions, special garments and jewelry, music, readings, etc etc. That's all I meant when I said wedding. To me, that has been the difference in the instances I have seen, and what some couples planning vow renewals look forward to doing the second time around.

I am sure if I did some hunting I could find women who wore full bridal gowns and all of the  accessories, etc to the courthouse... I was just working under somewhat of an assumption that more with JOP ceremonies tend to incorporate new "traditional wedding" aspects that weren't done the first time when they decide to do a vow renewal.

But definitely, in regards to my question, I would love to hear from anyone so if wearing the same shoes (just one example) to both, regardless of the type of ceremony, is something you're planning, share. :) In the end, anything you wore or used the day you got married has sentimental value and I absolutely get that.

@IrishPirate60

• I had a civil ceremony by a justice of the peace and had a gown, rings, vows, flowers, etc. It was very similar to a traditional wedding minus the guests and the location. If I were to ever do a vow renewal (not likely, as I don't feel the need) I would reuse my vows and my bouquet. My bouquet was fake flowers since we were married in a National Park that didn't allow real flowers to be brought in. I would not get new rings either, but I probably wouldn't do anything with the ones we have. I might even re-wear my dress, but it would depend on where we would do something like that. 

• See! I didn't even have to hunt for you. lol (Although I will fess up that I have always used JOP and courthouse interchangeably. Now I know. Seriously.) @Jells2dot0

I ordered a silk bouquet for my wedding but didn't end up using it... if I had, it would be the perfect item to reuse! That is one cool thing about fake flowers- being able to keep the bouquet forever and even use again.

As for the dress, one of the things I have enjoyed with the renewal is finding a dress that is totally opposite of what I wore for my wedding. But last week I saw "Something Borrowed, Something New" for the first time and, for a very split second, I toyed with the idea of having it "remade" into a new dress.

• @Jells2dot0 BTW, when someone says "civil ceremony" I do imagine more of what you described- a wedding that just isn't a religious ceremony. Usually when people say, "We went to the JOP" or "Let's just go to the JOP," they mean courthouse. I honestly never hear people say that if they had a wedding elsewhere but a JOP officiated it.

• I think it varies by location as to where JOPs can perform ceremonies outside of the courthouse. My parents were married by a JOP in my grandparents' home. I was not married in the US, so I followed what was allowed at my destination.

• I had a civil ceremony by a justice of the peace and had a gown, rings, vows, flowers, etc. It was very similar to a traditional wedding minus the guests and the location. If I were to ever do a vow renewal (not likely, as I don't feel the need) I would reuse my vows and my bouquet. My bouquet was fake flowers since we were married in a National Park that didn't allow real flowers to be brought in. I would not get new rings either, but I probably wouldn't do anything with the ones we have. I might even re-wear my dress, but it would depend on where we would do something like that. 
    I think for me it would depend if I could squeeze my rear end back in it...but I wouldn't consider a vow renewal until 25 or 50, and I don't expect to be the same size by then :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

I think for me it would depend if I could squeeze my rear end back in it...but I wouldn't consider a vow renewal until 25 or 50, and I don't expect to be the same size by then :-p

Lol I was trying to be positive and optimistic! I'm 30lbs heavier than I was when I married because of my cancer treatment. So, there is no way I could fit into that gown right now.

• Well... buying a new dress is always fun. ;)
  • This is what I have decided to do instead of re-wearing something. :)

• We got married at the jop i still have the earrings I wear that day.i will be wearing them when we renew our vows.
  • We got married at the jop i still have the earrings I wear that day.i will be wearing them when we renew our vows.
    That's very cool!
  • They are little diamond studs.my daughter said she wants to wear them if she gets married but she only 13 years old so that will not be for a very long time
  • They are little diamond studs.my daughter said she wants to wear them if she gets married but she only 13 years old so that will not be for a very long time
    That's super sweet. @deannabob77
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards