Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Intimate Wedding in New Orleans

edited September 2014 in Louisiana-New Orleans
My fiance and I decided to have a small private wedding in New Orleans (our parents and two others will be present). I had a few questions regarding marrying in New Orleans:
  1. The fiance and I live in Ohio. One of the items on The Knot's checklist says, "Get married! No seriously, if you want your marriage to be legal in your home state, you'll want to do this ahead of time." Can anyone explain how/why our marrying in New Orleans wouldn't be legal in Ohio? Is this separate from doing marriage licenses in New Orleans? This task item really confused me about the whole thing.
  2. I've read there is a 72-hour waiting period to get your marriage license, but it can be waived. I've seen a handful of sites say different things about having this waived; can anyone shed some light on this?
  3. How does the "marrying" in the Algiers Courthouse go? Are you alone in the courtroom or are other couples in there? Do they just have you sign paperwork and it's done, or is there some kind of ceremonial readings or words exchanged?
I feel like I'm asking a lot, but I feel like I don't understand a lot of the process. Any clarification would be appreciated. 

Best Answer

Re: Intimate Wedding in New Orleans

• Options
    edited September 2014
    In order for your marriage to be legal anywhere in the US, it has to meet the legal requirements of the place where you hold your ceremony. So, if you hold your ceremony in New Orleans, you need to follow their requirements, but you can bring your marriage certificate to Ohio to change your name/marriage status.

As for your other questions, you will be best served by having this posted on the local New Orleans forum. No one knows the area better than the locals. As a moderator, I want you to get good advice, and I'll move your post.

• Options
    Yes please, thank you! I'm still trying to figure out how to utilize the discussion boards.
  • Options
    I moved your post from the DW board to assist you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards