Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How Many Cupcakes? (Update in post)

Wegl13Wegl13 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2014 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
I was just browsing B&N and came upon a Bridal Bargains book- and it said to cut your budget, don't buy a cupcake for every guest, because not every guest will eat them. Now we are also planning on having a grooms cake (he asked his mom to bake a box cake for him lol), but this still seems like a dangerous proposition. But at $40/dozen do you think we could afford to "round down" if the rounding is less than 6 cupcakes (ie if 60-66 people including us are attending, could we buy 5 dozen instead of 6?). Also- how many flavor varieties would you do for 5-6 dozen? My 5-yr-old self says a flavor for every dozen YUM but... It also sounds confusing and not cohesive looking.

Re: How Many Cupcakes? (Update in post)

• You should have a cupcake for every guest.  Yes, not every guest may eat one but some guests may eat two.  It is ALWAYS better to have too much then not enough.

We had cupcakes and had 5 flavors.  All the wrappers were the same so the look was cohesive even though the frosting colors and toppings were not.

• We're ordering 1.5 cupcakes for each guest (rounding up to the nearest half dozen). Some people will have more than one cupcake, and I want to make sure there is plenty. 

Also, having leftover cupcakes is not the worst thing in the world.
  • kebebbkebebb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'd be terrified to not order one per guest. We ended up ordering 2 dozen more cupcakes than guests we're expecting. I don't want to risk not having enough for everyone to have one.

Irrelevant comment: $40/dozen? I'm so glad I live where I do.
  • We're planning on one cupcake per person, but we're doing large cupcakes. I may go over by 10 or so (only 60ish guests) but definitely order at least one per person.
  • Wegl13Wegl13 member
    40/dozen ends up being about 3.40/pp which isn't bad considering these are pretty fab cupcakes. It's a small wedding so under $250 total. We could have gone the cake from public route but I have really enjoyed getting to use local businesses for all my wedding stuff, and I felt like since we are having to transport it ourselves several hours, it was safer to go the cupcake route. Thanks for the help, I knew I wasn't crazy! It seemed so dumb to under order just to save $40
  • Wegl13 said:
    40/dozen ends up being about 3.40/pp which isn't bad considering these are pretty fab cupcakes. It's a small wedding so under $250 total. We could have gone the cake from public route but I have really enjoyed getting to use local businesses for all my wedding stuff, and I felt like since we are having to transport it ourselves several hours, it was safer to go the cupcake route. Thanks for the help, I knew I wasn't crazy! It seemed so dumb to under order just to save $40
    You can send any uneaten cupcakes to me if you wish :)

• Wegl13Wegl13 member
    I'm pretty sure my dad will be taking those home lol.
  • "Bridal Bargains Book - a.k.a. - How to Cheap Out on Your Guests!" ...  How about not ordering a plate of food for every guest because not everyone is a member of the clean plate club... That doesn't make sense either. 

Having been the guest who hasn't gotten dessert because "the couple didn't order enough" on at least FOUR different occasions, and most after a garlicy meal that needed some sort of palate neutralizer, I can safely agree with those who've said "order at least 1.5 cupcakes per guest!" - Cupcakes are geometrically a half portion of wedding cake slices.  I've yet to attend a wedding that had cupcakes and had leftovers at the end of the night.  Instead of under-purchasing enough for your guests, do a little checking around because you may find an option that fits your budget yet tastes awesome and this won't be an issue.  Some guests may not have any, but there will be others who will graze all evening long.  Food in general is one of those areas that you're better to have more than enough than not enough...

• I had 136 cupcakes for 120 guests.  We had about 20 left.  
  • edited July 2014

I don't agree with the idea of not having a cupcake for each guest.  Having at least 1-2 for each seems reasonable.

With the flavors, I think you're fine with just having 1-2 flavors total for your guests.  Maybe have some cupcakes prepared especially for you and your fiancé that include additional flavors.

• We had 100 cupcakes, and 180 mini cupcakes for 96 guests. We had 1 regular sized cupcake and only about 8 minis left. 

Get 1 per person. 
  • cafarriecafarrie member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    we had  180 guests and had 216ish cupcakes.  There were only about 10 left at the end of the night. 
  • I did one for each guest, but they were served to guests at their seats on stands, so it was clear that it was one per person.  There were also eight french macarons on the stand.  They were not displayed anywhere that someone could grab two of either the cupcake or macaron.  Eight seats at a table, eight cupcakes on the silver stand that the server set down after dinner.  We definitely had some leftovers, but I was able to give them away quite easily.  I would not do less than one per person.  Besides, the leftovers will certainly get eaten/taken home if you offer them to guests/family.
  • My sister had 120 people at her wedding and I made 300 cupcakes... there were 5 left afterward.  Always have extra :)
  • I agree that extra is always better than not enough, but yes - every guest should have the option of getting a cupcake.

• So update: FI's mom's BFF has offered to make our wedding cake, grooms cake, and cookies for the wedding. She always sends FI a big box of homemade cookies for Christmas and they are all beautiful (and I eat most of them... ^_^). I think we are going to take her up on her offer- she sent us pictures of cakes she's done before and WHOA. How do you keep your hands so steady to make such beautiful things?

Anyways I think this is going to be a non-issue now, especially with the addition of COOKIES! But I agree with all of you, it seems like a very dangerous way to save a small amount of money!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards