Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Name Change (Second Marriage) Question.

Ok, so this will be my second marriage, and his... My ex husband and I have two kids together so I kept his last name... plus, he wasn't a big awful jerk... so I kept it. Now that I am remarrying. I am wanting to drop ONE of my two middle names (that I stupidly did not do when I married the first time) and then drop my ex-husband's name... making formally only have ONE middle name, and ONE last name. Can I do that when I change my name? Dump only one middle name (the second one) and then change my last name? The reason why I ask is that there are several monogrammed items we are looking at for the jewelry for myself and the bridesmaids and I am going to wear my new initials and have the girls each made one with their initials... and I would like to begin this sooner than later. Thank you, in advance!
Alyssa & Drew 
10/4/15
St. Louis

Re: Name Change (Second Marriage) Question.

• When you legally change your name, you can change it to anything you want.  This cannot be done before your wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Definitely not beforehand. I just wanted to make sure removing only ONE of my two middle names was an option for marital name change. I love my mom but I don't love having two middle names. For years now I have only been able to use "B." Not even the whole thing... the IRS will only recognize one initial, etc.... So I was literally thinking of LEGALLY changing my middle name from Blythe to "B". and just simplifying LIFE. :) Annnnnnd maybe because then my initials will be ABC. Haha fun!
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• CMGragain said:
    When you legally change your name, you can change it to anything you want.  This cannot be done before your wedding.

Not necessarily true. In California, for example, when you get married you can keep your middle name OR replace it with your maiden or current last name OR keep both OR (I think) drop it altogether. Your last name must be your current or birth last name or your spouse's or a combination of those names. There are also rules to what's an acceptable combined last name. You can't just pick any name you want. So you need to check your state laws
  • There is virtually NOTHING online in regards to legal name change rules in Missouri. When I married the first time I dropped my maiden name, kept both middle names and took his name... Not even thinking of the hassle of those middle names...
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• If you can't find the information online then you need to just call and ask. It would be a 5 minute ohone call. 

• I just wanted to make sure removing only ONE of my two middle names was an option for marital name change.

I had two middle names and when I went to change my last name I dropped my second middle name that I never use. It was super simple.

• I am certain if it comes down to it I am capable of handling a phone call.... just figured I would ask here in the meantime since we're ya know.... an entire year out....
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• Thank you, Maggie! I definitely want to do that... my parents loved too many names and didn't part with any...... lol
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

• My parents knew that I was going to be the last grandchild so they decided to throw in as many family names as possible LOL!

• I changed my middle name and last name when I got married. It went from my birth middle name/ex's last name to maiden name/DH's last name. No one questioned it because all of the names involved were on my documentation (birth cert and marriage license.)

• As long as your choice of names are consistent with the law where you are, you are not required to keep your middle name or your ex's last name.
  • I'm confused when y'all say middle name, last name etc. I have a middle name, Marie. I had a maiden name as xx, and then when I got married 31 years ago, I took my soon to be exes last name. So on all my legal stuff it's Denise ex husband name. My divorce will be final in 1 month. I will still have same name. When I get remarried in 2 years, I will take fiancé name?? What is the " middle" name that y'all are talking about? Sorry if I sound dumb, but I've been out of the dating/marrying loop along time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Denise40 - Hopefully I am answering this correctly for what you are asking.

The OP has two middle names so, lets just say her name is Sarah Marie Shelly Jones (Jone's being her last name from her first marriage).  She doesn't want one of her two middle names (lets say she wants to get rid of Shelly). So when she she changes her name after she gets remarried she wants to change her name to Sarah Marie Smith (Smith being her new husbands last name).

So for your case you have one middle name which I am assuming you are keeping but will be replacing your current last name (your ex's name) to your new husbands name, so your name will then be Denise Marie NewLastName.

• @Maggie0829‌ Yes that's what I was asking. Thank you
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maggie is exactly correct!

In my case it will just be Alyssa Blythe (I was actually hoping to just shorten it down to the letter "B") but I will take it just keeping the ONE middle name... hahaha
    Alyssa & Drew 
    10/4/15
    St. Louis

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards