Snarky Brides

From Clients from Hell:

Clients from Hell is a blog where people anonymously bitch about shitty clients/potential clients they've had. Here's a wedding-related story:

When you contact me via my website, a few drop-down menus offer some options for the services you might be interested in. It helps me sort jobs and gives me some more initial info on what the client wants.

I received an email from a client telling me they’re after a single half-hour profile shoot, which is offered for people that need a couple of headshots for business or LinkedIn profiles, etc.

This being such a small service, there’s no need for a face-to-face, so we correspond by email. She asks me to meet her at a particular time and place. She wants the natural light offered by the location, and doesn’t need external lighting. I bring my basic kit: tripod, monopod, DSLR, a couple of lenses, and a flash for fill light if needed.

I get to the location. The client is wearing a wedding dress and is surrounded by six other women in matching bridesmaid dresses. She stands up and thanks me for coming. I’m assuming the worst, but I ask anyway:

Me: What’s with the wedding getup? Is it a fitting or a dress rehearsal and I just happen to be getting some profile shots at the same location?

Nope. It’s actually her wedding day, and she’s hired me as the photographer. She starts telling me all about how she wants shots of the people mingling outside, her and her bridesmaids, the groom and groomsmen, and how I ‘should be able to work out the usual stuff on my own.’

I asked her why she told me it was a profile shoot when it was actually a wedding, saying I was dangerously unprepared for a wedding shoot. She tells me - proud of being so cunning - that she figured I’d charge her wedding rates, so she’d get a better deal if she told me it was just a cheaper shoot. I told her that’s not how it works, and gave her my usual price for a wedding. She just shook her head and said:

Client: I’ll give you the price we agreed to and I signed a contract for. Besides, you said you were unprepared - a real pro would be ready for anything!

I chose to leave.

People are fucking incredible in their douchebaggery.

--

I'm the fuck
out.

Re: From Clients from Hell:

Who the fuck thinks that is ok?
  • I like this because business do charge crazy rates just because it's a wedding, which I think is unfair and silly. I also like this because the dumb bitch didn't get wedding photos. 

I realize that there is more work for photography towards weddings, but it's obnoxious when it's just like a DJ or a caterer and it wouldn't really be much different to do a wedding than a regular party, but they tag on thousands of more dollars. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    I like this because business do charge crazy rates just because it's a wedding, which I think is unfair and silly. I also like this because the dumb bitch didn't get wedding photos. 

I realize that there is more work for photography towards weddings, but it's obnoxious when it's just like a DJ or a caterer and it wouldn't really be much different to do a wedding than a regular party, but they tag on thousands of more dollars. 
    ITA. There are many instances where because you drop the W word its instantly more expensive, like the rental of a venue for a wedding vs an anniversary or corporate party etc. But in this instance wedding vs head shots....WAYYY different. And totally worth more money...
    Anniversary
  • larrygaga said:
    I like this because business do charge crazy rates just because it's a wedding, which I think is unfair and silly. I also like this because the dumb bitch didn't get wedding photos. 

I like that she seriously thought it would be alright to lock it down as a half-hour business profile shoot when it was a wedding and she wanted the photographer to stay for the duration of the reception. BALLSY.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    larrygaga said:

I like that she seriously thought it would be alright to lock it down as a half-hour business profile shoot when it was a wedding and she wanted the photographer to stay for the duration of the reception. BALLSY.
    Right?  You still only paid for half hour of services you dummy. 

Maybe to troll her the photographer should have treated it as a profile shoot and only stayed for 30 minutes. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am SO GLAD the photographer just up and left. I honestly started cackling at that point. Good for him/her for not caving!
  • I've now wasted several hours reading that site. Thank you for entertaining me.
    Anniversary
  • Thanks for sharing beethery. 
    Did you see this one:

I had just gone into labour (to have a baby) when a regular client called with some last-minute and typically urgent editing he needed done. It was 10pm on a Friday night.

I explained that I was in labour and that we would be heading to the hospital.

Client: But I heard labour can take anywhere from 10-14 hours, so you should have enough time to do this edit quickly. Please?

I hadn't but I just almost punched my computer because it reminded me of a (former) customer I had.

I love that blog, but the stories help remind me why I stopped doing design and web stuff professionally.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:

Thanks for sharing beethery. 
    Did you see this one:

I had just gone into labour (to have a baby) when a regular client called with some last-minute and typically urgent editing he needed done. It was 10pm on a Friday night.

Client: But I heard labour can take anywhere from 10-14 hours, so you should have enough time to do this edit quickly. Please?

I hadn't but I just almost punched my computer because it reminded me of a (former) customer I had.

I love that blog, but the stories help remind me why I stopped doing design and web stuff professionally.

I had a design order the day I went to the hospital in labor. Since I didn't have my laptop, I told her it would be a couple days. Luckily, she was more than understanding.
  • Thanks for sharing beethery. 
    Did you see this one:

I seriously wanted to punch my screen when I read that. I was amused to see @beethery's comment right after I had that thought. :)
  • casey8784 said:

Hopefully this isn't from the same photographer!

Client: My fiancé and I are unhappy with the engagement photos you sent us.

Me: What’s wrong with them?

Client: We’re wearing sweat pants in them!

Me: But that’s what you wore to the shoot. I asked you on the day if you wanted to change into something more appropriate and you said no.

Client: Well, I didn’t know you were going to leave them in the actual photos. You’re a professional photographer - you’re supposed to Photoshop better clothing onto us or whatever.

Me: That’s not really what I do, nor is it really how Photoshop works…

Client: Don’t lie to me! I’ve seen what Photoshop can do in magazines and stuff like that. It’s not my fault you don’t know how to do your job properly!

Oy.

I hate when people think Photoshop is the be all end all.
  • According to that logic, why do I need to buy a dress?  Did I waste my money buying one?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Well, gosh.  In that case, why doesn't the photog just photoshop Sofia Vergara's body over mine so I can look extra hot in my engagement pics.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh lordy. I have a handful of people I could add to this site... but confidentiality and lawyers offices prevent me from sharing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards