Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Include Infant's name on Invite?

Hi all, quick question:

My friend just had a baby and I want to let them know that baby is invited to the wedding, if they want to bring her. I'm not doing inner envelopes. Do I include baby's name on the outer envelope? Do I just put "and family" (baby is only child)? I guess I'm hesitating because the baby is so young, it seems kind of weird to list her name. Thanks for any advice!

Re: Include Infant's name on Invite?

• Options
    Yes you include the babies name.

Address it as such (I am assuming that the parents are married here)...

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe
    Babies Name

• Options
    Alright, thank you!
  • Options
    jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    I included all babies' names on the outer envelope, too.
  • Options
    I am inviting my cousin and her kids. She is expecting another little one by December, the month after my invites go out. Would it be okay to leave off "baby" since he isn't born yet? I am hoping she knows he would be included since the other kiddos were.
  • Options
    I am inviting my cousin and her kids. She is expecting another little one by December, the month after my invites go out. Would it be okay to leave off "baby" since he isn't born yet? I am hoping she knows he would be included since the other kiddos were.
    I am by no means an etiquette expert, so perhaps someone else can answer this better, but I would leave the unborn baby's name off the invite list. When she gives birth send her a congratulatory card that mentions that the new addition to their family is, of course, very welcome at the wedding.
  • Options
    I am by no means an etiquette expert, so perhaps someone else can answer this better, but I would leave the unborn baby's name off the invite list. When she gives birth send her a congratulatory card that mentions that the new addition to their family is, of course, very welcome at the wedding.
    I like this solution.

• Options

This would be appropriate.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

That works but I don't see the harm in including a note up front. New parents will want to know possibly before the arrival of the baby if their new one is invited.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

That works but I don't see the harm in including a note up front. New parents will want to know possibly before the arrival of the baby if their new one is invited.
    Yeah, but that could open the door for a response that could be very awkward if, tragically, the baby is stillborn, dies shortly after birth, or is too ill after birth to be taken to a wedding.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

banana468 said:

Jen4948 said:

Yeah, but that could open the door for a response that could be very awkward if, tragically, the baby is stillborn, dies shortly after birth, or is too ill after birth to be taken to a wedding.

And not putting the baby's name on the invitation tells a pregnant woman that her baby isn't welcome.

As someone who has a newborn and who is going with him to a wedding in a week, it helped to know before I delivered that he was welcome.

I don't think your option is bad but I think you're over thinking a bad scenario with your response. If anything was wrong with mother or baby of course there would be a different plan of action and response.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

And not putting the baby's name on the invitation tells a pregnant woman that her baby isn't welcome. As someone who has a newborn and who is going with him to a wedding in a week, it helped to know before I delivered that he was welcome. I don't think your option is bad but I think you're over thinking a bad scenario with your response. If anything was wrong with mother or baby of course there would be a different plan of action and response.

If the baby hasn't been born when the invitations go out, I still wouldn't put the baby's name on the invitation.  But I'd inform the guests whether or not the baby is welcome when it's born.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

And not putting the baby's name on the invitation tells a pregnant woman that her baby isn't welcome. As someone who has a newborn and who is going with him to a wedding in a week, it helped to know before I delivered that he was welcome. I don't think your option is bad but I think you're over thinking a bad scenario with your response. If anything was wrong with mother or baby of course there would be a different plan of action and response.
    I agree... I mean realistically speaking, anyone has a chance of dying between when invitations are sent and the wedding takes place. That's just not something anyone can or should be planning for. I think it's SLIGHTLY different in this PP's case vs the OP, where it's the second child so it should be assumed that since one child is named on the invitation, the other is welcome too, since it would be improper to split siblings. 

I don't think mail should be addressed to someone who hasn't been born yet, but for all unborn babies I would include a note saying "Baby Smith is welcome to attend as well! Let me know by x date if you'll need space for a stroller." Obviously if something tragic befell the baby you wouldn't still be calling the mourning parents for an updated RSVP count.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I agree... I mean realistically speaking, anyone has a chance of dying between when invitations are sent and the wedding takes place. That's just not something anyone can or should be planning for. I think it's SLIGHTLY different in this PP's case vs the OP, where it's the second child so it should be assumed that since one child is named on the invitation, the other is welcome too, since it would be improper to split siblings. 

I don't think mail should be addressed to someone who hasn't been born yet, but for all unborn babies I would include a note saying "Baby Smith is welcome to attend as well! Let me know by x date if you'll need space for a stroller." Obviously if something tragic befell the baby you wouldn't still be calling the mourning parents for an updated RSVP count.

STIB

Thank you everyone! I think I will wait, just last year she lost a baby pretty late on. So waiting may not be a bad idea... but we facebook message often so I will just FB her a congrats and let her know new baby is welcome.
  • Options
    Oh yikes, that's an important clarification. In that case I definitely agree with waiting.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards