Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

what is a "wedding dress party"?

It's been just over 6 months since the wedding so I finally bit the bullet and put my wedding dress up for sale. It's a gorgeous dress and I felt absolutely beautiful in it, so after I put it on the site, I was feeling nostalgic. 

Two friends mentioned that I should have a "wedding dress party" and I don't think I've ever heard of that. I tried Googling but it only pulled up wedding party stuff.

I'm always down for a party :) What is it, though?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: what is a "wedding dress party"?

• levieenroselevieenrose member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I have no idea, but a friend getting married about the same time as me suggested that we have a tea party in our dresses. That never happened, but I secretly wish it had. :) 

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• Do you have a lot of friends who are married?  Maybe they wanted to have a girls party where everyone wears their wedding dresses?

I am planning to use my dress as my future kids Christening gowns.

• just no red wine!!
  • You invite all your married girlfriends and they wear their wedding dresses.  It is just a way to wear your wedding dress again.

ROCK IS KING!!
  • I really want to do this.
  • I really want to do this.
    Me too, invite me too!

• Oh, I thought it was going to be about the "burn/trash the dress" treand which I HATE HATE HATE.

If you that much money to burn, DONATE your dress to a bride who cannot afford one..

To me, the ultimate insult is to burn or trash the darn dress. It is such a disrespect to those less fortunate. 
  • A saleswoman I talked to at a bridal store told me about these. Basically, you just invite your recently married girlfriends over for WHITE wine and non-staining snacks (white cheese, crackers, green grapes, etc) and you all wear wedding dresses. Sounds fun! Most of my friends aren't married yet, but if they were I'd consider hosting one of these. Because why not?
  • This sounds like a fun, kooky idea. Love it! I would want to wait for all my best friends to be married first, though, because I'd feel bad leaving one out.
  • I've never heard of this, but it reminds me of a tradition some of my married girlfriends have.  Each year on their anniversary, they put on their wedding dress again just for a short while - I think it's a lovely idea!
    I plan on using my gown for my future children's Baptism gowns (TULLE FOR DAAAAAAAYS), but that is (dear God, hopefully) a long way off.  I'd like to pull out my dress and wear it on my anniversary for the next 5 or so years :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • To slightly threadjack, on the trash the dress topic.... If someone were married for 6 months and wanted to trash it for the sake of super cool photos, I'd judge hard. I absolutely agree that if you're not going to keep/treasure/preserve/reuse your dress, you should donate it.  However, I saw something on TV once where women were married for years and had to get divorced for some unfortunate reason. They had a trash-the-dress shoot as a cathartic way to move past their feelings over the dissolution of the marriage. That is something I can sympathize with.  Why keep or treasure a dress any longer from a failed marriage? Donating would be likely out of the question as the dresses were very out of style after 10, 15, 20 years. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards